Return to the Tool Shed Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Cheap Gas

Posted by exmar 6 SE Ohio (My Page) on
Tue, Nov 6, 12 at 16:49

A bit off topic, however... I'd heard that we're experiencing the cheapest gasoline prices in four years. Suddenly realized that if Stabil or equivalent is added, doesn't go bad. Just filled up both vehicles, and every gas can I had for $3.15 a gallon. Haven't seen prices that cheap in quite a while.

Just a thought.

Ev

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Cheap Gas

Perhaps your location (rural gas not having as much pollution issues as gas in some cities??), length of storeage and use (small engine versus vehicles) might be factors. I've heard that some regions have 15 or 17 different formulations of gas.

Folks on these forums say that small engines are much more sensitive to old/bad gas than are larger engines such as cars and trucks.

I put Stabil in my containers the day it is purchased for yard work -- mowers, chippers, trimmers, etc.

One thing that surprised, even shocked me. My dads truck sat in the garage for seven years with the same gas and no additives. It STARTED after seven years! Ran rough, but I did not expect it to run on that old gas.

o

My bad habit was to use left over Boat�s summer 50:1 in my mower (thinking it w/n hurt). It took a while to foul the plug. I knew exactly what caused it when I saw the fouled plug. The symptom was one pull to start went to three or more. A good cleaning went back to one pull to start. The left over 50:1 will still be used in 2 cycles and all is treated with Stabil.

o

IF I had left over 50:1, I'd just dump small quantities into the car/truck tank. Maybe 10% or less at a time.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Tool Shed Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here