Return to the Tool Shed Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
TroyBilt Super Tomahawk Chipper/Shredder Belt Problem

Posted by Eddie_T (My Page) on
Mon, Nov 14, 11 at 17:28

I have a 1988 Super Tomahawk that eats belts. The original lasted until a couple of years ago and was quite ragged when it failed. New belts last only through 10 or so uses and some fail the first day. I have tried Dayton 5L290 and Bando B26/5L290. Has anyone else experienced belt problems?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: TroyBilt Super Tomahawk Chipper/Shredder Belt Problem

A glance in the OEP book shows the belt as 5/8 X 29 3/16" OEM # 1902325. The OEP part # is 75-380. Stens shows their part# belt as 265-107 & says it is 5/8 X 29 1/4" long and replaces 97133. So if were me, I would try the OEM belt if you could locate it and then a Stens belt. The Stens belt in my experience is a good belt. I think they are Thermoid belts which actually make many OEM belts. Some of the OEP fall short, though some do fine. Beyond having the proper belt, pulley alignment, bearing or pulley wear will affect belt life as well as an impeller that may be damaged. Another thing to do when installing a new belt is to condition the belt by allowing it to run up without actually putting a load on the equipment for 15 minutes. Hope this gives you some help.

o
RE: TroyBilt Super Tomahawk Chipper/Shredder Belt Problem

• Posted by mla2ofus z7b Tom Green Co.Tx. (My Page) on
    Sun, Nov 20, 11 at 12:21

After experimenting w/ different lengths I've found a B-26 V-belt works best and lasts longer. It will not let the cutch totally disengage, but since mine has electric start it's not a problem. I may be wrong, but my theory is the longer belts self destruct due to the clutch idler back bending it too much causing it to overheat. I also found if I hogged wood to it too hard it will make them break.
Just my thoughts,
Mike

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Tool Shed Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here