Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
grasswhisperer

How to Tune-up a Craftsman Leaf Blower?

grasswhisperer
14 years ago

Hi all -

I've got a Craftsman 200mph gas leaf blower (I can provide model later). It's about 7 years old and has run great, despite what I've read about some Craftsman models.

It needs a tune-up however. Lately, it takes about 10 minutes to warm up. During this time, I've got to run it at 1/2 choke (If I turn the choke off before 10 minutes, it dies or struggles - even after running for several minutes.) After about 10 minutes it's cookin' and I can turn the choke off.

Only up until a few weeks ago - this baby hummed on just a few pulls - and I could turn the choke off within a few seconds. Now - I need to run with 1/2 choke on. It also seems to stutter quite a bit when I turn it off - regardless of the choke setting.

I did throw in a new spark plug - but I'm sure I need to have it tuned-up.

I'm willing to try (I happen to have two of these models, as my father-in-law just gave me his.) So I don't mind "experimenting" on the old one before tuning-up mine.

Can anyone point me to a primer (no pun intended) on tuning up these leaf blowers? I assume the carb needs to be cleaned, etc. - and I only know enough to be dangerous. Education videos on the web (youtube links, etc.) are even better...!

Thanks much!

Brad in MA

Comments (3)