Return to the Tool Shed Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Chain saw clutch problems?

Posted by glessd (My Page) on
Sat, Nov 24, 07 at 18:28

Gretings, I've been using my brother's Mac chain saw, a little 38cc w/ a 14" bar to buzz up some cherry and ash around my woods, it has worked fine until now. The clutch is alway engaged, it won't freewheel when I pull to start it.
My question is, How do I get the clutch off to free it up?
I've taken the recoil off, but that nut just releases, what do I use to hold the flywheel to undo the clutch nut?
Any thoughts would be most appreciated, I have about another cord on the ground and would like to get it cut up this week.
Thanks much
Dave G

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Chain saw clutch problems?

Dave, which side of the saw is the recoil and which is the bar and clutch? Most saws have the recoil on the left side with the bar/chain and clutch on the right side. Removing the recoil is pointless.

OK, if your saw is typical with bar/clutch on the right side, the clutch nut will be reversed thread. To loosen you turn clockwise. Remove spark plug, move piston to down position. Use something like clean starter rope to stuff down the plug hole so that when you go to loosen the clutch nut the piston moves up and is jammed by the rope.

The clutch drum bearing may just be dry gummed up and need cleaning and greasing. However the bearing may be shot or the clutch shoe springs could be worn or broken. Drum bearings can be normally found at an equipment shop that carries Oregon brand parts. If the clutch springs are bad and this saw is older when McCulloch actually made them you will have trouble.

o

Nevada, I looked around and found the rope in the plug hole trick, an old one I forgot about. The clutch is ok, it looks like the bearing is shot, or gummed up, I'm soaking it now. Any good parts sites, or I may just go to my local small engine shop.
Thanks for the advice.
Dave G

o

i just take a big punch and hammer and smack the inside arm in the loosen direction (not the outer clutch sprocket, but the inter arm with the spring around it with the threaded hole in the middle. Usually spins right off.

IMO the clutch sprocket locks up usually caused by the needle bearings worn and it locks it to the crank. With the chain off you would be able to spin it freely if it don't spin then the needle bearing are frozen or the clutch it expanded out ( not likely though). Clutchs are pretty cheap and easy to replace, just watch where the thrust washer goes...usually only two things go wrong with them. the needle bearings go or the sprocket teeth wears out.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Tool Shed Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here