Return to the Tool Shed Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Oil Capacity

Posted by wet_doggg (My Page) on
Sat, Nov 11, 06 at 18:33

My dad retired and moved to Arizona for the winter...so I went over and stole his Ariens 8526. It has a 8.5 HP Tecumseh engine. Needs an oil change, how much does this engine take and what weight? Appreciate the help.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Oil Capacity

I just use my automotive supply (10w-30) Mobil 1, one quart, measure - add some more...
If the level is good, then a man can easily measure the old oil - this can also indicate any oil consumption... works well with the car...

o

The corrected quantity is probably less than a quart. Generally you can over fill a little - say 10%...

o

There is most likely a "device" to tell you when it's full. Fill until you reach the full mark on that device. On some, it's a dipstick. On others, fill till it starts leaking out the drain plug.

What is an Ariens 8526? If it's a snowblower, I'd use a lightweight oil like 5W30. If it's a lawnmower, I'd use something a bit heavier like 10W30 unless you mow in cold temps.

o

Use 5w-30 oil about 3/4 of a quart. I have a ariens 824 and I usually fill mine until the dipstip reads full. I believe you can download the owners manual from ariens website.

o

That particular Ariens is Tec. powered and requires 26 ounces of 5-30 for winter use.
Marc

o
Oil Change Ariens 824 snowblower

I am looking for information/how-to change the oil on an Ariens 824 snowblower. Cannot locate the drain plug...am I missing the obvious?
Thank you,

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Tool Shed Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here