Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
tomwkendwarrior

Honda FG 110 stalls after warmup

tomwkendwarrior
13 years ago

I have a Honda FG 110 Rototiller. This is a great little tiller. It was running great. Then after about 30 minutes started to stall. It starts up ok, runs ok and after 1/2 minute of use stalls. Sometimes when it starts to stall i can let of the throttle and keep it running although it acts like it needs fuel or has an electrical issue?

I checked the plug (repaired the plug wire that broke in my hand), air filter, fuel lines and changed the oil. After it cooled down it ran strong for a minute and then stalled again. I can start it up and run for 20 secs and then stalls again.

Any ideas what to check or what to replace?

Comments (15)

• yungman
    13 years ago

Might sound totally unrelated. Before you do anything, empty the old gas, run 2oz of Seafoam per gallon mix with 91 octane gas and see whether it will clear up the problem after a tankful.

I had problem with my Honda trimmer that it stalled after 15 minutes of use only and will start after cool down. Turn out the jet was blocked.

If that don't work, then continue to trouble shoot.

• ewalk
    13 years ago

Tom: Sounds like a fuel starvation issue as Yung has suggested try his advice of Carb Cleaner Treatment , I also find Lucas Top End Lube and Cleaner along with Duralube very effective if you cannot locate MMO . About 2 ounces in fresh fuel will usually resolve the gum or varnish issue within the carb circuits. Let the mixture sit about 20 minutes prior to attempting a start up . If this fails then fuel filter or complete carb dismantling and jet cleaning may be req'd.

• laslonimne
    13 years ago

See my post on the FG100 with same/similar problem. Meanwhile, change the fuel filter.

• chaseman2c
    10 years ago

I HAD the same problem but now it works great! Here is what I did.
    1. Poured fuel out of tank back into gas can.
    2. Disconnected spark plug wire.
    3. Removed air filter cover, and filter element.
    4. Removed two nuts and metal plate that hold filter housing with hose to valve cover.
    5. Removed fuel line and fuel return line from carburetor (make note of which is which).
    6. Remove throttle cable from carburetor
    7. Remove carburetor, place paper towel in manifold to keep dirt out
    8. Gentle pried the grommet that holds fuel lines out of gas tank, place paper towel in hole.
    9. Removed spark plug, place paper towel in hole.
    This is all of the disassembly.

Observations
    1. Small crack in primer bulb
    2. Fuel line (outside tank) slightly kinked
    3. Return line (outside tank) had small hole near tank
    4. Fuel line (inside tank) badly cracked and probably main cause of problem.
    5. Spark plug slightly fouled.
    6. Varnish in carburetor.
    7. O-ring for carburetor cracked

The Fix
    1. To hardware store, purchased fuel line repair kit (most good hardware stores or small engine repair shops will have this), O-ring, and carburetor cleaner spray
    2. Called a number of mower shops to find the same spark plug (this one is rare and hard to find)
    3. Remove and replace fuel line and filter (inside tank) with parts from kit (cut tubing to length, make sure new filter fits through hole in tank, if not back feed tubing through filling neck and out grommet hole)
    4. Remove and replace fuel line (outside tank), cut tubing slightly shorter than original (IâÂÂll explain later).
    5. Remove and replace fuel return line (cut to original length)
    6. Remove and replace primer bulb (from kit)
    7. Spray carburetor with cleaning fluid (wear safety glasses, spray both orifices, into tube connectors, and jet port until clean, let it air dry)
    8. Install new spark plug (do not attach plug wire at this time)
    9. Gently but forcibly push grommet with fuel lines back into gas tank hole.

1. Reattach throttle cable to carburetor.
    2. Replace O-ring.
    3. Install carburetor onto bolts
    4. Install fuel line and return line to carburetor (DO NOT place fuel line under retaining clip. I believe that this routing causes a fatal kink in fuel line. Rather have the line bow toward the clip).
    5. Install filter housing, with metal plate and two nuts, replace hose the valve cover.
    6. Clean, lubricate, and install air filter.
    7. Install air filter cover.
    8. Attach spark plug wire
    9. Add fuel.
    10. Start and let idle a few minutes to clear carburetor fluid.
      Results
      My machine is working better than ever with no stalls. I was able to run it for a full hour tilling my whole garden without stoping. I hope this works for you.
  • Jim Hooks
    6 years ago

Ewalk. Put in some "Lucas Top End Lube and Cleaner" in my Honda tiller and the problem is gone. Thanks.

• ssewalk1
    6 years ago
    last modified: 6 years ago

lol , quite an old Thread Jim , happy it helped . Just a further note of info , should you every need another solvent based cleaner conditioner . Startron is also a very good product available @ Walmart . A little less lubricity than Lucus but it keeps fuel fresh for over 2 yrs in storage . Much better than Stabil long term .

• Igot This
    6 years ago

It sure is an older post but the added comments are surely welcome. It was only yesterday my fg110 was suffering this issue. Odd but for me it was loosen the gas cap so it wasn't cranked on . This TIme everything else checked out.

Its 2 years now since this post started and every day there are new or older & unheard of products and such which just might work for the next guy.

I sure am thankful this post was left up. Older post kind of reminds of getting advice from my grandparents or parents and. They are usually correct.

Thanks everyone. Saved my day

• ssewalk1
    6 years ago

Absolutely , IT !

• Steven Webster
    6 years ago

Holy Crap! had problem of FG110 dies at high RPM - saw that a suggestion that it was fuel starvation from gas cap not venting - I loosened the cap and it runs great! Somebody out there is a genius!

• James Gould
    4 years ago

Again, this is an old post but have to comment. Changed my fuel filter, air filter, drained tank, nothing worked. Then loosened the gas cap. Great community, thank you!

• HU-157763243
    3 years ago

The loosening of the gas cap also worked for me. I was having the same issue of the engine quitting once it hit max rpms. Problem solved.

• HU-558487965
    2 years ago

Same issue here. It was the gas cap venting issue. Thanks!!!

• Jimi Hilton
    last year

I too am grateful for this post. I was having the same problem so I looked at the gas cap and found it had a white piece with 2 holes in it. I assume this is for ventilation, The strange thing was it had a black plug on the other side of it with NO holes in it. So I took out the black plug and presto, runs like a charm.

• Ed Deringer
    11 months ago

I had the issue stalling after warmup. Replaced gas filter in the tank. Works great now.