10 years ago

Looked cant find .New too expensive. thanks jim

• loger_gw
    10 years ago

Is yours beyond rebuilding?

• jim109
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I cleaned it & put new high speed needle in ,old was in bad shape. It will start but run rough & spitthen quit when i try to adjust carb it has no effect .needle seat & float all seem good .Points & gap are good. Maybe will try to clean again .Thanks Jim

• baymee
    10 years ago

If a carb isn't corroded by water, I've always been able to clean them up. All it takes is a speck of varnish in one of the small jets or inside the passageways. Out of the thousands of carbs I've dealt with, I have replaced less than five.

• loger_gw
    10 years ago

Good Points Baymee!

Jim,

1. Was the carb totally disassembled, inspecting ALL, soaked at least 8 hrs in carb cleaner.

2.You are mentioning other areas now and that could contribute to matters vs carb, (Fire/Fuel/Compression). How are they? A Hot blue spark (in-line tester recommended) no fuel line or filter issues and what is the compression?

3. What is the age and history to have points and what is the gap set at?

4. Are the valves adjustable? If so, have you adjusted or ck for what int/ext gaps?

5. Do you have testing/tuning experience with the engine? A friendâÂÂs 2001 16 hp Kol is giving him the blues and he has good exp. (water in fuel, choking, backfires and intermitting on turns has been the recent Nixon ZTMâÂÂs issues. BUT It Will Climb A Tree And Maybe Too Many!!! LOL.

6. His lack Of Maintenance and Care shows on repairs I have helped on âÂÂDue To His Tight Scheduleâ (trying to get by is costing him unreal).

Good Luck!

• jim109
    Original Author
    10 years ago

The points i set at..20 the valves are not adjustable . I took apart carb & soaked over night Putback together & its doing samething run alittle bit ouits coughs white smoke out of carb blacksmoke out exhaust. Still dont know if its carb or another problem?

• jim109
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I forgot engine is a kohler 6.25 hp 141t

• loger_gw
    10 years ago

1. Did you ck spark with an inline tester. With some weak spark issues, you might not have good spark in the compressed cyl.

2. What is the compression?

3. How old is the Eng?

4. 6.25 hp, I would think has int/ext valve clearance and have you checked them (at TDC)?. No clearance or bad will affect compression (if valves have stretched).

5. Have a close friend with Small Eng skills? sometimes another Tech can spot a problem in minutes you are missing.

• jim109
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Good spark
    compession 40

Dont know age maybe 70s 80s Just wanted to rule out carm. Will probably pull head to look at valves. Thanks Jim

• loger_gw
    10 years ago

Jim, 40 lbs of compression is too low on 3-5 strokes. At that age and History of use it could be wear.

1. Do you know you have a good gauge and can you hold the compression in with your thumb?

2. IâÂÂll suggest pulling the valve cover and check valve clearance at TDC first.

3. Pull the head to look at valves, seats, cylinder if valve check clearance at TDC is in spec.

4. When did the Eng last run OK and more history if I missed it?