o
RE: used carb

Looked cant find .New too expensive. thanks jim

o

Is yours beyond rebuilding?

o

I cleaned it & put new high speed needle in ,old was in bad shape. It will start but run rough & spitthen quit when i try to adjust carb it has no effect .needle seat & float all seem good .Points & gap are good. Maybe will try to clean again .Thanks Jim

o

• Posted by baymee LehighValleyPA (My Page) on
    Sat, Nov 30, 13 at 5:35

If a carb isn't corroded by water, I've always been able to clean them up. All it takes is a speck of varnish in one of the small jets or inside the passageways. Out of the thousands of carbs I've dealt with, I have replaced less than five.

o

Good Points Baymee!

Jim,

1. Was the carb totally disassembled, inspecting ALL, soaked at least 8 hrs in carb cleaner.

2.You are mentioning other areas now and that could contribute to matters vs carb, (Fire/Fuel/Compression). How are they? A Hot blue spark (in-line tester recommended) no fuel line or filter issues and what is the compression?

3. What is the age and history to have points and what is the gap set at?

4. Are the valves adjustable? If so, have you adjusted or ck for what int/ext gaps?

5. Do you have testing/tuning experience with the engine? A friend’s 2001 16 hp Kol is giving him the blues and he has good exp. (water in fuel, choking, backfires and intermitting on turns has been the recent Nixon ZTM’s issues. BUT It Will Climb A Tree And Maybe Too Many!!! LOL.

6. His lack Of Maintenance and Care shows on repairs I have helped on “Due To His Tight Schedule” (trying to get by is costing him unreal).

Good Luck!

o

The points i set at..20 the valves are not adjustable . I took apart carb & soaked over night Putback together & its doing samething run alittle bit ouits coughs white smoke out of carb blacksmoke out exhaust. Still dont know if its carb or another problem?

o

I forgot engine is a kohler 6.25 hp 141t

o

1. Did you ck spark with an inline tester. With some weak spark issues, you might not have good spark in the compressed cyl.

2. What is the compression?

3. How old is the Eng?

4. 6.25 hp, I would think has int/ext valve clearance and have you checked them (at TDC)?. No clearance or bad will affect compression (if valves have stretched).

5. Have a close friend with Small Eng skills? sometimes another Tech can spot a problem in minutes you are missing.

o

Good spark
compession 40

Dont know age maybe 70s 80s Just wanted to rule out carm. Will probably pull head to look at valves. Thanks Jim

o

Jim, 40 lbs of compression is too low on 3-5 strokes. At that age and History of use it could be wear.

1. Do you know you have a good gauge and can you hold the compression in with your thumb?

2. I’ll suggest pulling the valve cover and check valve clearance at TDC first.

3. Pull the head to look at valves, seats, cylinder if valve check clearance at TDC is in spec.

4. When did the Eng last run OK and more history if I missed it?

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Tool Shed Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here