Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
thepigstye

Stihl chain saw help

thepigstye
9 years ago

I have a Stihl chainsaw, been running fine for 10 years or better. Starts right up, but will only run and cut on full choke. Any ideas?

Comments (4)

• loger_gw
    9 years ago

Please share more info:

1. Make/Model, More Info/History and Etc.
    2. Yearly hrs used, preventive yearly maintenance and
    past services.
    3. Pics of any specific issues.

• MantonJohn
    9 years ago

You need to correctly go through the fuel system, and do not run it until it is fixed...

• Rideau
    9 years ago

I have a 13 year old Poulan and also a new Stihl. I had the same problem with my Poulan. The carb is a Walbro WT324 and the problem was a blocked passage to the low speed jets(3). The Stihl uses a similar carb (maybe a Zama). If you go to the Walbro site it shows the circuits of a Walbro carb and you will see that the low speed circuit is in play from idle to mid throttle with three jets. Originally I purchased a rebuild kit for my carb (model # stamped on the carb body) and took it apart cleaning the passages with a spray cleaner and then replacing the diaphragms and gaskets. That was not enough. I had to remove the welch plug which allows access to the 3 low speed jets that I spoke of. I then sprayed cleaner into the low speed jet hole(removed low speed needle) and this allowed dirt out. I replaced the welch plug(small curved aluminum plug). I used a flat punch about the size of the plug to seal the plug in the opening. Problem solved. I think that most people are hesitant to remove the welch plug(s) but that is probably necessary to fully clean the carb.
    Thinking back, the dirt got into the carb when the in tank fuel filter broke away (age) from the fuel line. The saw still ran but it also sucked up dirt from the fuel tank which had accumulated for 13 years. The saw now runs like new. Hope this helps.

• loger_gw
    9 years ago

Thanks Rideau! This is very good info for the "Do It Yourselfers" (DIY). IâÂÂll have to pull/replace a Welch for the experience since the 60s.

1. The Bottom Line is Examine/Service Equipment Routinely vs just using/trashing it.
    2. We all have our ways/natures of services, know the values or will learn the need.
    3. The extra minutes can be a big savings to you/the equipmentâÂÂs pains. LOL!