Return to the Tool Shed Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Question About Stand-by Generators

Posted by bogey123 NJ 6 (My Page) on
Thu, Nov 3, 11 at 19:59

Here in NJ the Halloween snow storm hit us hard, 2nd storm so far this year that has knocked out power for several days in a row. My wife has asked about a generator to run furnace, fridge etc. We have natural gas so fuel isn't an issue.

Our home has windows on all 4 sides so we would have to put a pad at least 20ft from the home, but local regulations say that it would have to be at least 20ft from the property line. This causes me problems.

A guy I know said he heard of people having generators installed in a spare garage bay and providing ventilation via permanent piping to the outside. I tried searching but can't seem to find a generator that is advertised for interior use.

Anyone ever hear of this or is my buddy blowing hot air up my you know what?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Question About Stand-by Generators

Propane or natural gas generator against the rules?

o

• Posted by exmar 6 SE Ohio (My Page) on
    Fri, Nov 4, 11 at 14:12

Talk to the "local ordinance folks" and explain that you can't meet the criteria, is a variance possible?

Alternately, have the wiring installed, but use a portable that you drag out and connect when needed.

Good luck,

Ev

o

"A guy I know said he heard of people having generators installed in a spare garage bay and providing ventilation via permanent piping to the outside."

Yes, this can be done. It requires a flexible intermediate to the hard pipe to prevent vibrations from the generator stressing pipe/generator exhaust header. Tuning will likely be required depending on length/size of discharge. This is often done industrially.
Sorry, but I can't give any sources. It IS less of an issue with natural gas/propane. Wall penetrations will be determined by your AHJ.
If you have indoor space for the generator, you can expect longer life from the unit.

o

I will have to start making phone calls, thank you for your help.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Tool Shed Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here