Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
loger1_gw

What are common bar oiling problems with McCulloch Electromatic

loger_gw
13 years ago

What are common bar oiling problems with McCulloch Electromatic 12" Chain Saw # EM12A? A friend gave me one recently disassembled since 2002. I painfully got it assembled, replaced the chisel auto sharpening chain with a barracuda. It's cutting small quick needs good (BBQ & Fireplace starter wood/etc) but the chain gets too tight due to no oiling. I'll use an oil pump can if needed for the small jobs but I feel I'm missing something simple (vs back-flushing with wire, solvent and compressed air w/o seeing a filter). These Monsters are more trouble than they are worth except for Quick Small Quiet Jobs. loger

Comments (9)

• ewalk
    13 years ago

Loger: I have found that room temperature kerosene works well to unplug (loosen) residue within the pump and orifice and oil galleries . Compressed air once the kerosene in the oil reservoir has been let sit for 20-30 minutes usually gets the job done . In more stubborn cases a fine tag wire can be used also . I have also found that on these older smaller saws that light winter grade oil is best used to assist with keeping the system purged of residue build up . Good luck and keep that Ole Girl Running Bro :) .

• loger_gw
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks Ewalk! I tried all of that yesterday. Maybe it will work today. LOL. My concerns were if I was dealing with a filter, a pump, a jet or just gravity flow. The diagram I found on-line just shows an in-line oiler valve. Which appears to be a check valve to prevent free flowing oil. I d/n see what would force oil past the valve (tank pressure). My observations: 1. Compressed air through the weep hole (at the bar) and backwards through the valve showed no signs in the plastic oil reservoir (not a bubble and good I would think). 2. Compressed air added at the reservoir showed very small signs of oil trying to come out w/o over inflating (restriction, I would say).

Thanks Again! These old projects are âÂÂGood Exercise For The Mind âÂÂ. IâÂÂll use an oil pump can of oil to do my small experiment and job today âÂÂAnd Maybe Later And ForeverâÂÂ. LOL ! loger

• loger_gw
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Bingo Ewalk, We Did It! The Saw Is Oiling Like A Champ. I feel the solvent (paint thinner as I had) did more overnight. Plus, a physical exam for a pump or oiler valve had my attention. I d/n find either w/o going deeper but did see there was no restrictions in the oil tank with a line connected. Adding compress air to the line then tank showed I was good to go with flowing oil. Afterwards, I cut 2 large wheel barrel loads of pre-cut 4-8â pecan and oak w/o a problem. I removed the bar and had good signs that the saw was still oiling âÂÂLike A ChampâÂÂ. Thanks As Always! loger

• ewalk
    13 years ago

Yep just love it when all the pieces of the puzzle fall inplace . Yes some saws have a simple ball check valve that is open during pressurized (Crank Case) assisted operation. Others have a gear drive pump or oil slinger design . But Right on the Solvent KISS Principal often works if given sufficient time . I knew your Superior Determination would Prevail Bro ! Good on You. Just a reminder really give serious consideration of using the lightest grade bar oil for your Ole Girl , it really does assist within fouling prevention in the future and a little more consumption to me is not a big financial penalty lol . Thanks for the follow up Dude , I love Happy Ending's :)

• rcmoser
    13 years ago

Gee who can afford "kerosene" Seen 5 gal. can in the store the other day for 38 Bucks.

• ewalk
    13 years ago

RC: Have some left over from the Hunt Camp lights from yrs back . Still effective within Chainsaw Bar Oil Reservoir cleaning . I will have to check the going rate North of the Border here . Have not purchased any for so long . I suppose Varsol would also be a fine substitute should I run out of the Kerosene @ $38 + for 20 litres lol .

• rcmoser
    13 years ago

lol, I just thought it was way too high at home depot last week. Why wouldn't Diesel work as an cheaper alternate?

• ewalk
    13 years ago

Your absolutely right rc , a lot of the basic fuel and solvents of yester year are all rather pricy. Try to find coal North of the Border and checkout the Price..Ouch ! The Diesel although not as quite as solvent would probably be a good routine adder for occasional usage to prevent buildup.
    The Kerosene and Varsol , Paint Thinner would be my choices for plugged oil galleries. I would not use the latter on older saws , since the Oil pump seals were not Epdm and could break down from such strong solvent use. However good alternate in the Diesel Oil Bro :)

• loger_gw
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Naphtha was my choice of solvent, when kerosene became harder to find in this area (inside North TX City Limits). Paint thinner was always easier to find and probably the cheapest. It d/n appear to recycle or reuse as well as naphtha. Once it was used for cleaning, it appeared to separate with a white residue forming on it. Now that I just buy gallons, IâÂÂll look into the cost of naphtha vs cheap paint thinner at Home Depot.

For strong cleaning IâÂÂll use Berryman B-12 CHEMTOOL on engine parts and acetone when appropriate.