Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
monte101

Poulan gas trimmer

monte101
10 years ago

Wondering if anybody can help me get my poulan ppb 100 31 cc gas trimmer started. It's been working great the last 8 years, but last week after a refill it stopped working. The problem is that when I pull the string it seem very loose like the engine is not engaging. I'm thinking the engine is not turning over. Looking into taking it apart this week and for places to order parts from.

Comments (10)

• rcmoser
    10 years ago

pull the spark plug and see if the piston going up and down when you pull the rope. IF not I suspect the connecting rod failure??? if it is and the spark plug has gap check compression. Second guess it's worn out and has no compression! third guess if the spark plug gap is closed means the piston hitting the spark plug which means the needle bearing on the connecting rod are gone allowing the piston to reach the spark plug. Or it could just be the starter rope winder failure not turning over the crank? Only you can investigate and tell use what your findings are?

• monte101
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thank you for your help. I will work on it tomorrow and let you know how it turn out.

• loger_gw
    10 years ago

I feel IâÂÂm hearing the starter is not engaging and looked at a diagram and Youtube for possible reasons at the address below. Personally, I would pull the starter and look for reasons itâÂÂs not engaging. If there is not an obvious reason as broken this or that, turn the flywheel by hand to see if you feel compression (resistance with the plug wire off). By now you should see or feel that itâÂÂs a starter issue or an engine issue as a broken connector rod (not likely). I feel you know itâÂÂs a simple issue that investigating will show that has been mentioned.

Good luck! Please let us know the results.

http://www.ereplacementparts.com/poulan-pro-ppb100-gas-trimmer-parts-c-16962_17820_18408.html

• monte101
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I tried what was mention and yes the piston moves. The assembly-clutch(the one with the spring) when turned by hand moves the piston.
    when I turned the assembly-clutch drum it turns freely and does not move the piston, it just rotates. I have a feeling the assembly-clutch drum is bad. How do I take it of and any special tools needed. Will take a look at the videos on you tube and learn a bit more.

• monte101
    Original Author
    10 years ago

To take off the assembly-clutch drum what size of allen wrench do I use or what can be used?

• loger_gw
    10 years ago

1. A centrifugal clutch (with springs) are designed to spin free until the EngâÂÂs rpm sling the shoes out to engage the clutch and drive the fan , Chainsaw âÂÂs chain, string trimmerâÂÂs stringâÂÂs shaft or etc..

This message has been edited due to me mixing info.

2. I feel your starterâÂÂs mechanics are not engaging with your flywheel. Such as, looking inside the housing and pulling the string you should see mechanics that will engage with the flywheel.

3. Attached is showing a chainsawâÂÂs mechanics on the flywheel that will engage with the pull stringâÂÂs mechanics.

This post was edited by loger on Wed, Nov 6, 13 at 11:11

• loger_gw
    10 years ago

I feel I possibly mixed info related to two different post. I need to retire! LOL

• monte101
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I'm having trouble taking off the screw in the drum. Is it a torx or L wrench screw. I think I messed up the screw head. I will give it a try tomorrow again. Any other options?

• loger_gw
    10 years ago

1. Please show a good close picture showing drum and screws. âÂÂPics are worth a thousand wordsâ and options.

2. Look close at the screws and try not to ruin then (I confuse some torx with aliens).

3. Harbor Freight will have âÂÂcheapestâ of either sets needed, next, almost any Auto Stores.

Good Look! Hang In There......

• monte101
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks for all the help. Just found my problem, the springs on the fly wheel were not returning the brackets because all the dirt and oil. Had to cut the clutch-drum top to get at the screw. Now need to get a new clutch-drum and clean it up. It was leaking gas so need to check on that also. Any tips so it won't leak from the tank again.