Return to the Tool Shed Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
electric chippers

Posted by joe11050 none (My Page) on
Sun, Nov 18, 12 at 20:34

I'm interested in buying an electric chipper. I've gone electric with my mower and trimmer and so don't even own a gas can. I know they aren't as powerful as the gas powered, and I can live with that. As a group they are inexpensive ($100-200) and the range is fairly narrow; my fear is of buying something that breaks right away. The user reviews I see online are a mixed bag. I did see one that suggested the McCulloch is better than the rest, but it seems to be out of stock everywhere I look. Absent any direction from anyone I'll likely buy toward the middle of the price range and hope that careful usage keeps it intact. I've got a good pile of recent storm debris which is sort of pushing me to buy now, but I imagine I could use it quite a lot for pruning bushes and cutting back perenniels.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: electric chippers

I suppose it is clear, but I didn't explicitly ask: does anyone have much experience with electric chippers? Can you steer me away from bad products and/or toward a good one?

o

joe11050, IMO, you should be able to find a fair grade of chipper that has an option of being electric or gas. Such as, I have found this with Air compressors mainly (1 HP electric or 5 HP gas) Log Splitters, etc.. I feel I noticed a fairly heaver chipper here modified to electric. I guess you get less power with electric but not bad from my experience with a 1 HP Air Compressor and 1 HP electric driven hydraulic pump on a Log Splitter.

BUT!!! The 100 - 200.00 ranges in cost might be a Short Lived Toy. One was given to me that was not worth my time (the plastic construction was too damaged).

o

I don't think the small electric chippers are worth the powder to blow them to hell. I've tried them. They're reasonably powerful, but are designed with chutes that are so narrow and constricted that it would take you 2 days to shred a bushel of leaves. That's so you can't hurt yourself. Thank the lawyers for that. I converted an old Super Tomahawk from gas (dead engine) to electric by installing a big 3 h.p. Baldor motor on it. This required an outdoor 220 volt outlet wired to a GFCI 220 v. circuit breaker. It has ample power. I don't use it much for chipping, but a lot for shredding. It can handle cornstalks, brussel sprouts stems (very tough and woody), and just about anything I throw at it. It's nice not to have to fuss with gasoline. Of course, you'd have to convert it yourself, or hire someone to do it for you. Point is, it can be done. And of course the Super Tomahawk isn't the only machine that could be converted.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Tool Shed Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here