Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
pgtr

Good Cheap Work Gloves for Tools?

pgtr
11 years ago

When running a chainsaw, trimming, pulling limbs, working with hand tools like hand saws, shears, etc. - I have terrible luck with gloves. They just don't last. Last year I sprung for some fancy gloves - they didn't last much longer than the cheapos.

Anybody have any recommendations for some decent gloves that are commonly available at a reasonable price?

Things to look for in a good (or bad) work glove?

Comments (10)

• tomplum
    11 years ago

I like using the Mechanix gloves. Auto parts stores have the traditional line, but they do apparently have a garden line as well.

Here is a link that might be useful: mechanix

• loger_gw
    11 years ago

I have had what I thought were the best leather working gloves from Home Depot and only got about a year before, holes and excessive wear. I am asking how much time would you expect handling firewood (cutting, splitting, stacking 3-4 cords a yr)? Or! Is leather the problem and not the best glove with wood?

• txtom50
    11 years ago

I like the gloves made from canvas with a leather covering in the palm and finger areas. They wear well and can be had for $2.00 a pair or less. Walmart has them for 2 pairs for $3.75 and Tractor Supply had them on sale at selected stores for $0.49 a pair. At that price, you can afford to go through a pair every month.

• loger_gw
    11 years ago

I agree on the mechanical work gloves for delicate work if you must or need gloves.

1. Personally, I prefer no gloves to be honest and get a good feel and control unless they are needed.

2. Working firewood, I want some good leather in palms and finger areas but hard to find.

3. Home Depot�s best are in the rental section and only go out with Roto rooters machines vs for sale.

4. I got the next best pair that will probably not last a year since the best gold ones did not (but saves splinter/bruises). Not the best or worst at the link below. These similar cheaper ones might last one or two jobs. The gold better ones are at this price ea..

http://www.homedepot.com/h_d1/N-5yc1v/R-202591315/h_d2/ProductDisplay?catalogId=10053&langId=-1&keyword=work+gloves&storeId=10051

• garden-Den
    11 years ago

Rubber textured thermal garden gloves. Not the HF ones! Excellent grip on wet tool handles and firewood as well. Don't work well for pruning roses however as the thorns easily puncture the rubber.
    Dennis

• andyma_gw
    11 years ago

The last gloves I bought were the standard Chinese, leather palm and finger gloves. The leather is so supple, (thin + cheap) I used them to wrench on my truck . I also used them when painting my house.

• loger_gw
    11 years ago

Follow-up:
    I return my thought to be Heavy Duty Leather Gloves to show the wear after about 10 minor firewood uses. They explained that they had no guarantee but replaced them. That Was Fair Enough! Now I know personally the 1.00 gloves last as long as the 5.00 gloves in this line of glove. The heavier glove felt heaver but the wear appeared as if the leather and etc was fake or rotted. They broke down in areas as the back w/o any contact.

{{gwi:321437}}

{{gwi:321439}}

• loger_gw
    11 years ago

The cheap work cloves are working well with Duct Tape "layers" on the worn areas. Until the wear of the Duct Tape I never realized how much wear the gloves were taking. As mentioned, the natural feel is needed for safety. Which means, repetitive cutting small wood with the electric saw I feel safer w/o a glove on the switch hand? My New Gloves as replacements and gifts are stacking up as the Duct Tape Runs Low!

• Brad Edwards
    11 years ago

I personally like the all leather gloves from sams club. They are 10$ a piece and come in a 2 pair pack. If you keep them lathered up with baseball glove oil they will last a lot longer and stay really pliable. I have some pairs 3-4 years old that are still good event though really dirty for dirty jobs. They also can get really saturated with things like oil/chemicals and you can often get it off.

• jenfore6
    9 years ago

Hey there! I understand what you mean about gloves wearing out easily. I used to live on four acres that required lots of manual labor. Abatix has some good gloves that are very affordable, here's one that might work for you [Link: "http://www.abatix.com/default.aspx?page=item+detail&itemcode=MAXDLP&catlist=668"; MAX hand protection Gloves, Shoulder Leather Double Palm]. When looking for a good pair of gloves the thing that mattered most to me was that they had to be thick. Our property had lots of poisonous snakes and spiders as well as thorns and poison ivy, etc so it was really important that nothing would penetrate the material. I hope you find what you're looking for!

Sponsored
MAC Design + Build
Average rating: 4.3 out of 5 stars18 Reviews
Loudon County Full-Service Design/Build Firm & Kitchen Remodeler