Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
pgtr

Am Considering Silky Pole Saw - What Else Should I Consider?

pgtr
13 years ago

I currently have what I think is a Fiskars. It works OK but it is somewhat heavy for sustained usage, includes lopping shears which I rarely use (adds weight) and the fiberglass poll can be quite bendy and imprecise.

I'm looking at a couple of the Silky (manual) pole saws.

Are there any other brands I should consider that are comparable? I'm looking for something that is LIGHT and can quickly and w/ least effort cut thick hardwood branches up high and wanted to consider other options before considering another power tool.

How about the HPS20?

http://www.americantreeservicesupply.com/extended-reach-pole-saw-hps20

Also any comments on which of the 3 Silky saws? Hayate, Hayauchi or Zubat???

thanks

Comments (7)

• fruitjarfla
    13 years ago

I have tall palm trees, among other types, so I bought a Hayauchi because it is long - 21 feet - which is what I was looking for. It is somewhat heavy, very sturdy, and the blade is excellent. The heavy and sturdy thing are directly related. I did not want to part with the amount of money it cost but now I know it was worth it.

• slim50
    13 years ago

Although it is not light, the Country Home Products battery powered Neuton pole saw may be what you are looking for. The 18 volt battery at the base powers a 10 inch (approx) chain saw. It cuts right through thick hardwood branches up high.
    I trimmed up about 8 or 10 trees, 15 to 20 feet up, in about 30 or 40 minutes before the battery needed recharging. I was ready for a rest by that time.
    Cost is about $150 plus shipping.
    Hope this info helps.
    Best regards,
    Slim

• pgtr
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks for the input.

Specifically I think Silky Zubat 13 may be a good choice for me.

I've also found 2 other brands that have some pretty good online feedback:

WOLF Garten
    Jameson

But I haven't (yet) found much in the way of specs such as weight for these brands/models. Otherwise they have very good reputations and are a heckuva lot cheaper than the Silky.

• masiman
    13 years ago

I looked at the Wolf Garten when I was looking for my pole saw. They were expensive IIRC. Jameson is kind of the standard in the business from what I have seen. If you go zooty, you go with Silky, otherwise you pick up fiberglass poles and that will typically be Jameson. In the non-Silky route I think the head are generic so that they can accept almost any blade. You can get generic poles that are fairly equivalent. Had to use mine today as a matter of fact. I was glad I had it but I am even happier when I don't have to use it (i.e. I can climb to the branch). Those pole saws are tiring!

There are the occasional folks that go for the wood poles. They are a rarity though.

I'd recommend the fiberglass poles or the Silky.

• evdpgh
    13 years ago

Buy what the pros use, Jameson. You'll also save about a hundred bucks versus the Silky, which I believe are overhyped and overpriced. Like one of the others mentioned if you drop the Silky while extended you may end up with an unrepairable unit. When extended to 20' or more, all of them flex, are hard to control and get heavy quickly if you aren't young and in goood shape.

• Nancy Brown
    6 years ago

I have not used the Hayauchi, but looking at the design, here would be my thoughts: The hook at the bottom would be useful for severing the bark/skin of the tree before cutting, which would prevent hang-ups with the branches, the design of the teeth looks like it may be slightly lower effort to pull through the wood, which would reduce fatigue over time. That being said, I have a Zubat pruning saw and pole saw, and both of them are excellent products; I would have to guess that any improvement would be in the noise for a homeowner, but if this is a business purchase, and you will be using it much more frequently, spend the money and get the best product you can afford the first time. Remember, the cheapskate always pays more in the end. I hope that helps.