Return to the Tool Shed Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Am Considering Silky Pole Saw - What Else Should I Consider?

Posted by pgtr (My Page) on
Sun, Nov 7, 10 at 23:39

I currently have what I think is a Fiskars. It works OK but it is somewhat heavy for sustained usage, includes lopping shears which I rarely use (adds weight) and the fiberglass poll can be quite bendy and imprecise.

I'm looking at a couple of the Silky (manual) pole saws.

Are there any other brands I should consider that are comparable? I'm looking for something that is LIGHT and can quickly and w/ least effort cut thick hardwood branches up high and wanted to consider other options before considering another power tool.

How about the HPS20?
http://www.americantreeservicesupply.com/extended-reach-pole-saw-hps20

Also any comments on which of the 3 Silky saws? Hayate, Hayauchi or Zubat???

thanks

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Am Considering Silky Pole Saw - What Else Should I Consider?

I have tall palm trees, among other types, so I bought a Hayauchi because it is long - 21 feet - which is what I was looking for. It is somewhat heavy, very sturdy, and the blade is excellent. The heavy and sturdy thing are directly related. I did not want to part with the amount of money it cost but now I know it was worth it.

o

The Silky pole saw is one of the nicest out there. I have never used or owned the Silky version. I have a fiberglass version that I use but I also have separate pruning and saw head for the poles. I don't think the Silky can take a pruning head IIRC. Since you don't use the pruning portion, that should not be an issue.

It will not matter which blade you get IF the blades are interchangeable. I know they offer the blades in different lengths for the handsaws, I'm just not sure about the polesaws. I have a zubat hand saw that I really like.

You'll want the blade to be as stiff as possible. It helps prevent the blade from bending when it binds in the cut.

Great things about the Silky are that it is one of the lightest and stiffest poles out there. But anything that long is going to flex. The Silky blades are excellent. The extendable version is nice in that it quickly adjusts to the desired height.

Bad things are that the aluminum poles are not as sturdy as some folks hoped. Drops and bangs to the units have caused bent poles that could not be satisfactorily straightened (think bent retractable radio antenna). Also, if the clips that lock the extension poles in place break, they are not repairable. They are not rated for utility work (around electricity).

The above info is what I remember from doing research @3 years ago. Some of this may have changed in the meantime.

There were alot of happy folks using these though. Problems were with durability and not being able to repair a pricey piece of equipment.

o

Although it is not light, the Country Home Products battery powered Neuton pole saw may be what you are looking for. The 18 volt battery at the base powers a 10 inch (approx) chain saw. It cuts right through thick hardwood branches up high.
I trimmed up about 8 or 10 trees, 15 to 20 feet up, in about 30 or 40 minutes before the battery needed recharging. I was ready for a rest by that time.
Cost is about $150 plus shipping.
Hope this info helps.
Best regards,
Slim

o

Thanks for the input.

Specifically I think Silky Zubat 13 may be a good choice for me.

I've also found 2 other brands that have some pretty good online feedback:

WOLF Garten
Jameson

But I haven't (yet) found much in the way of specs such as weight for these brands/models. Otherwise they have very good reputations and are a heckuva lot cheaper than the Silky.

o

I looked at the Wolf Garten when I was looking for my pole saw. They were expensive IIRC. Jameson is kind of the standard in the business from what I have seen. If you go zooty, you go with Silky, otherwise you pick up fiberglass poles and that will typically be Jameson. In the non-Silky route I think the head are generic so that they can accept almost any blade. You can get generic poles that are fairly equivalent. Had to use mine today as a matter of fact. I was glad I had it but I am even happier when I don't have to use it (i.e. I can climb to the branch). Those pole saws are tiring!

There are the occasional folks that go for the wood poles. They are a rarity though.

I'd recommend the fiberglass poles or the Silky.

o

Buy what the pros use, Jameson. You'll also save about a hundred bucks versus the Silky, which I believe are overhyped and overpriced. Like one of the others mentioned if you drop the Silky while extended you may end up with an unrepairable unit. When extended to 20' or more, all of them flex, are hard to control and get heavy quickly if you aren't young and in goood shape.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Tool Shed Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here