Return to the Tool Shed Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
changing hydraulic oil filter on log splitter

Posted by johnnytugs1 jackson, n.j. (johnnytugs1@gmail.com) on
Fri, Nov 21, 08 at 23:44

can someone give me the steps to change the filter? do i have to fill the filter with oil when replacing? after i unscrew the old filter will oil keep draining or not? it's a harbor freight/central hydraulic w/ 8 hp briggs (powerbuilt) motor. thanks,
john

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: changing hydraulic oil filter on log splitter

The oil is drawn thru the filter by a pump. You should only lose what's left in the lines. Some filters are mounted in a way that you don't lose any. Spin the old one off, lube the o-ring, and install...hand tight only. No need to fill it. Some of the larger automotive filters, that mount vertically, are pre-filled to keep the engine parts from spinning oil free during start up after an oil change.

o

oh great new's, nobody has a filter to replace this one. it's from harbor freight (central hydraulics) called h.f. and they have no clue where to get them. anybody have any thoughts.thanks,
john

o

John, I would look on the body of the filter housing, see if there is a company name on it. Or call HF and ask who makes them for them. If that doesn't work, you might have to go to an auto parts store and try matching it. Good Luck

o

If you go to an auto parts store, have them look under fuel filters.

My splitter is a different manufacturer (Craftsman) but they are available at NAPA and Kragens (for mine) but they are a 10 micron filter as opposed to an oil filter for an engine.

o

john, here's some numbers you can try: Wix 51551; Napa 1551; Fram P1653A. I get mine from Tractor Supply. If your hydraulic fluid wants to drain out when you remove the filter, you might be able to tilt the tounge high enough to stop it. Works on mine anyway.

The wix and napa #'s are 10 micron filters. Not sure about the Fram.

o

Here is a link that might help

http://www.wixfilters.com/filterlookup/results.asp?PartNo=1551&Submit=Search

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Tool Shed Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here