Return to the Tool Shed Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Generator oil-10w30 or 10w35 or 10w40??

Posted by yetty734 ohio (My Page) on
Sat, Dec 15, 07 at 0:18

realized how dirty the oil was with my powerback 5250 generator when i drained it hoping to fix the low-oil sensor problem. the genset has a sticker on it stating to use 10w30 but refer to the owners manual about cold weather operation(below 32). i use this about twice a summer for more then and hour or two(total of 10ish), and sometimes will use it for very exstended periods(week+) during the winter(2005 ice storm). i have at the moment 10w30 and 10w40 but was wondering if 35 even exists, and if it does is the happy medium best?

anyone know off the top of their head how much oil this bad-boy takes? if i remember right its 1.5 quarts???

thanks...hopefully new oil solves the low oil sensor problem to.

ccb

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Generator oil-10w30 or 10w35 or 10w40??

• Posted by canguy British Columbia (My Page) on
    Sat, Dec 15, 07 at 9:53

10W30 will be just fine. 10W40 is designed for diesel engines.If you experience very cold weather, below 15, use 5W30 for easier starting.

o

If you have a Briggs engine, they recommend that you use synthetic oil. Use 5w-30 below 30 degrees and 10w-30 above. I just keep 5w-30 synthetic oil in mine year round. Never have any problems and I start it once every couple of months and let it run for about 30 mins each time. I plug one of those halagon floor lights into it. Since I bought mine, I think we lost power once for about an hour. Before we bought the generator, we would loss power a few times a month.

o

put 10w30 in it...now only if i didnt have a faulty low oil sensor....guess ill be checking oil a lot.

o

If its a briggs use straight 30 weight in warmer months and 5w-30 in colder weather. Should hold about 36 oz.

o

If you have ice storm, sounds like 5-30 be better. I think choosing synthetic is very important. Mobil 1 might be a good choice.

o

5-30 Mobil 1. Problem solved.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Tool Shed Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here