Return to the Tool Shed Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Snowblower -Craftsman question

Posted by dooley Alberta,Canada (My Page) on
Mon, Dec 10, 12 at 2:54

Have a Craftsman 944.529621 blower (15.5 hp 30").
Sometimes it hits a packed patch and the drive wheels simply stop turning rather than spin or drive the machine through it.
Thing is practically brand new (only been used about 5 times). Noticed that the drive engagement rod has a LOT of slack in it when the traction control lever isn't engaged and am wondering if tightening this up would help.
How snug should it be when engaged?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Snowblower -Craftsman question

• Posted by baymee LehighValleyPA (My Page) on
    Mon, Dec 10, 12 at 18:27

I like to make contact with the disc when the lever has about one more inch of travel left in it. This keeps a little spring pressure on the disc. I've seen some new ones that engage the disk almost immediately and one can hardly hold in the handle up. You could also have oil on the disc. You should be able to feel when it engages.

o
RE: Snowblower -Craftsman question

Hey Dude long time no see lol . As Bay has suggested I agree that the drive disc could have some oil or grease from the axile drive chain assembly that has contaminated the disc causing this slipping situation. Otherwise as advised a simple cleaning and adjustment should solve your problem . I would suggest you remove the bottom inspection plate and take a good look at the friction drive wheel and disc and also chain tension and lubrication if needed. A simple cleaning of the disc and rubber drive wheel with a degreaser and clouth should be all that is needed. I also agree with a little tighter on the adjustment to prevent slippage which can destroy a rubber drive wheel very quickly .

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Tool Shed Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here