Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
krhule_gw

Mackissic -engine upgrade

krhule
12 years ago

I have an older Macissic shredder with the 24 hammer mill. It's basically the same unit as the mightymac 12p, except it only has a 5hp Briggs engine. The current engine is actually a newer 5hp b&s, the original 5hp Briggs was replaced before I bought the unit.

this units in great shape, considering it's 20 plus years old. My only complaint is that the 5hp seems. Little underpowered for such a capable, heavy duty machine.

I happen to have half a dozen, brand new 13hp Honda gx390 clone engines left over from a container load business deal I did and I was thinking of replacing the Briggs with one of my 13hp Honda clone's. The motor looks like it will bolt right on, although I'm sure I'll need a different clutch. Im looking for any feedback from folks that are familiar with this chipper/shredder and engine combo. Has anyone done something like this? Any and all advice will be appreciated!

On a side note, Im wondering if anyone's repowered one of these Mackissic units with a small single cylinder diesel? These mightymac units just seem beefy, the sound and smell of a diesel chugging away at the compost pile seems natural.

Thanks for your opinions!

Ken

Comment (1)