Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
lammey_gw

No oil to chain - but pumping out at the side of the bar?

Lammey
11 years ago

Dear all

I hope you are having a great end to 2012! Could you please help me?

I have got a Husqvarna 340 Chain Saw which I have just brought. it all runs perfect apart from there is no oil getting to the chain.

I have taken the bar off and when running the oil is pumping out of the channel to the side of the bar. I have cleaned out the groves in the bar and also the hole in the side of the bar where the oil should pass through to the chain but there is still no oil hitting the chain. this does not make sense to me so any light on this woul dbe fantastic.

Please Help if you can ;o)

Chris

Comments (8)

• loger_gw
    11 years ago

1. Are you sure the alignment of the oil port on the saw and bar are aligned/mating?

2. Has the saw oiled the chain and bar before???

3. It is hard to see why they w/n mate and oil except some bars are designed to fit only one-way.

4. I have laser tip bars that will fit up or down vs an anti-kick-back (curved up with a sprocket that fits one-way).

• Lammey
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Hi Loger,

I have not had this saw long but it has not oiled since I have had it, I have checked that it is the correct bar in my local store so I am hoping that the oil port is lining up although this does seam like the option left?

It has a oil port on both sides and I have cleaned then out fully with a wire and a air line.

I have now taken the oil screw out and everything at that end is working well and in good condition so I am completely stumped ;o(

Chris

• Lammey
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Hi Loger,

I have not had this saw long but it has not oiled since I have had it, I have checked that it is the correct bar in my local store so I am hoping that the oil port is lining up although this does seam like the option left?

It has a oil port on both sides and I have cleaned then out fully with a wire and a air line.

I have now taken the oil screw out and everything at that end is working well and in good condition so I am completely stumped ;o(

Chris

• loger_gw
    11 years ago

You are not stupid but a concerned troubleshooter IMO! If you had used the saw w/o solving this issue it could have been a waste. I was taught to oil the saw manually from a oil can or etc if the oiler d/n work or for extra oil.

Take Care W/O That Word!

• rcmoser
    11 years ago

I have 345 oil don't immediately flow to the chain. I have to let it warm up hold the tip of the bar close to something (tree, carboard box, or something that will show oil being thrown off) rev it several times before oil will start slinging off the bar. IMO it may take few seconds to minute for the oil to work it way into the bar to be thrown off. That's the only way I can tell if the bar is getting oil before I begain to cut with it. Your 340 has no oil flow adjustment. oil pump maybe too weak to feed the bar??? Just guessing? I don't see how the bar is the problem it will go on either way (husq numbers right side up or upside down, the oil feeder holes align either way). But I only run chain one direction once it gets wear pattern.

• ewalk
    11 years ago

I have not repaired an Husky 345 in some time . I would follow RC as for his simple and time proven method for checking oiler operation during initial startup. You have not indicated the age or maintainance of your unit . Some older saws used a duckbill check valve upstream of the oiler reservoir to ensure system pressure upon startup. Over time these valves leak by and flow may not be instantaneous therefore RCs proceedure to ensure bar oiling . Sometimes also the system can become sluggish due to internal gumming over the yrs combined with dirt or grime , sawdust etc. In the past solvents such as keroseen have been utlized for purging of the system grime. I also have always advised clients to use the lightest bar oil possible . Winter grade may use more oil but in the long run it will ensure system flow and cleaning on the go long term and that is what increases bar and chain life. I only have used heavier grade oil when cutting commercially where hotter ambient temps may be realized .

• ray_okla
    11 years ago

I had the same problem on a different brand of saw and was able to solve it by adding a gasket to both sides of the bar around the oil port. Evidently there was just enough distortion in the bar to allow oil to leak down the side of the bar and not go into the bar channel.