Return to the Tool Shed Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Couldn't help but notice that...

Posted by biglumber (My Page) on
Thu, Dec 9, 10 at 9:59

The snow king is gone. Walking into lowe's, saw the lineup of snowblowers all with a shiny valve cover and 45 degree cylinder. Must be the mfg best answer to tecumseh's demise.
I can't help but wonder if they start as well at 10 degree's fahrenheit as the old snow king and have the lugging power that the old L-head had.
Hmm, guess I better change the oil and lube up my 27 year old 5-24 atlas(mtd)and see how long I can keep it going.

Peace

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Couldn't help but notice that...

I dont know anything about the snow king, but I own 6.5 hp briggs intek which is about 8 years old and also a tecumseh hh70 which is a 7 hp L head that is 30 years old. The briggs starts better because the engine is easier to turn over. If your man enough to pull the rope either one will start on the first or second pull.

Larry

o

Big: Have an Old ( 2000) 10Hp Snow King in a Craftsman Blower . I use Synthetic Amsoil in it and it still runs like a Champ . Actually rather easy starting even here in the Great White North . I only once used the electric start when my Son Flooded it . When it finally quits the Honda will have xtra work , but the Ole Girl appears to have a quite a few yrs still left lol .

o

• Posted by baymee LehighValleyPA (My Page) on
    Fri, Dec 10, 10 at 6:14

I just cleaned and rebuilt the carb on a 10HP Snow King yesterday. It was the worst I had ever seen. Anything steel was rusted, but it ran like a champ when I was done.

I know my old Gilson from around '78 was a 4 or 5 HP Briggs and it still runs like a champ to this day. Sold it to a friend a few years back.

o

Your absolutely right Bay , keep them Old Timers maintained and you have a rather trustworthy unit . The Plus with the older units is that they are built much stronger than much of the Box Store Stuff . I have cheap units in every week that I would not rely on for more than 3-4 yrs normal service . Just Junk from the get go lol :)

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Tool Shed Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here