Return to the Tool Shed Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Hammerdrill Question

Posted by kendoo none (My Page) on
Fri, Dec 23, 11 at 10:37

Hi,
Just attempted to drill thru a poured foundation (10" thick maybe)with a regular 1/2 craftsmen drill, took me 30 minutes and my arms were killing me. Cheapo $10 bit to boot. Due to the work I do, I will need to drill thru foundations periodically so I need a hammerdrill. Question is, do I get a rotary SDS or a regualar hammerdrill? I won't pretend to even know the difference as I have never used either. Suggestions appreciated.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Hammerdrill Question

There is some good info at the address below. Personally I use a 1/2" 2 speed Ryobi that will work as a hammer or two-speed drill. The drill has served me well at least 30 years for light work and heavy work. Versatile in weight and uses means a lot to me vs having excess tools with little use (or tool's weight killing me). I thought the 2 speed gears would be better than variable for toughness. Toughness and torque is what you need for deep drilling in concrete or steel vs a variable mode. I like a 3/8" with variable and clutch modes for medium duty work. My opinions from years of various handyman work. The job and your time should dictate the tools. loger

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hammer_drill

o

Oops Bosch vs Byobi! I have a older ½” Bosch Hornet 2 speed hammer & rotary w/o reverse and etc as today’s drills. The support handle is a must for your safety while using the strong drill.

Milwaukee, Bosch, Makita and other industrial brands are good tools also. If it will be for industrial use only, the industrial connection is the way to go. Speed Is Money! loger

o

I have a Bosch, Black and Decker, and a Skill, all do what they were designed to do, but the ones I have are too light to make a living with. If I had to do heavy duty I would buy an industrial tool like Milwaukee, Hilti, or any other heavy duty tool. Of the three I have the Bosch is my favorite, but I have never drilled anything over 1/2" dia.x 3" deep. If I want to drill small holes in brick I had rather use the Skill because it weighs much less.

Larry

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Tool Shed Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here