Return to the Tool Shed Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Craftsman 1/2 HP Screwdrive Garage Door Opener

Posted by johnson903 NJ (My Page) on
Tue, Dec 29, 09 at 10:56

I have a 6 year old Craftsman 1/2 HP Screwdrive Garage Door Opener that does not open when the temperature gets below about 40 degrees. It comes up about 6 inches and stops. I can "assist" it by pulling up on the door handle and it works fine in warm weather. Thus I believe it is not the door itself. The door is wooden, but is only a single car garage door, so I think the 1/2 hp opener should work. Any thoughts?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Craftsman 1/2 HP Screwdrive Garage Door Opener

Make sure there is NO oil in any of the roller wheels in the hinges The oil congeales in winter, and makes the door hard to lift with the opener. I couldn't pick up my heavy 14 ft. door after i inadvertently forgot and oiled the rollers and wheels! I though i was getting weak! After cleaning them out with a squirt oil gun, using mineral spirits, the door suddenly lost a lot of weight and operated smoothly again.

o
RE: Craftsman 1/2 HP Screwdrive Garage Door Opener

On screw drive openers the drive screw is long and runs in a track. It is susceptible to friction caused by anything touching it. Mainly what I mean is grease. The screw drive should not be greased much at all and then only with a light lithium grease like Lubriplate. I saw one once that had been greased all along the track and it would not open in cold weather. I flushed the grease out with a spray can solvent and then applied only a minimal amount of Lubriplate and the opener worked fine after that.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Tool Shed Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here