Return to the Tool Shed Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Stihl 041 chainsaw Specifications

Posted by basod2002 (My Page) on
Sun, Dec 14, 08 at 12:19

Hello there,
New to the forum. Grew up in Maine and currently reside in Alabama. I used to work on a farm, cut christmas trees and firewood for myself. I used Stihl chiansaws and recently acquired a Stihl 041 from ebay auction. Curious if anyone has info on saw engine specs? I needed a "new" felling saw as the POS Poulan recently quit. I have some large pines with bark beetle infestation, need to take down before anymore winter/spring storms. I wanted a larger saw to do some chainsaw milling but can't seem to win an auction. Any experts on the 041 with info would be helpful. I've found some stuff on build dates but no engine specs. Think I've reached the end on Stihl 041 internet

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Stihl 041 chainsaw Specifications

• Posted by canguy British Columbia (My Page) on
    Sun, Dec 14, 08 at 15:16

Is yours the AV version? This site is a wealth of information

Here is a link that might be useful: Stihl

o

No not the AV just 041 FarmBoss. I'm curious what the advancement of AV was (electronic ignition). I hope This saw doesn't have points and such to adjust

o

• Posted by canguy British Columbia (My Page) on
    Sun, Dec 14, 08 at 23:29

The AV was equipped with rubber mounts to absorb vibration. They added weight and cost but were well worth it, I doubt if there are any saws currently produced without this feature.
The 041 was very popular in it's day but is heavy and slow by today's standards. Fun to play with as a hobby but for regular use, a newer model might be more useful. Some parts are getting scarce and yours will likely not have a chain brake which is now a required safety feature.

o

Here are the specs for the 041 courtesy of acresinternet.com. He has specs for just about every chainsaw made:
MANUFACTURED BY: STIHL ANDREAS MASCHINENFABRIK
STUTTGART, GERMANY
SERIES OR ASSEMBLY NUMBER: 1110
YEAR INTRODUCED: 1967
YEAR DISCONTINUED: 1977
ENGINE DISPLACEMENT: 61 ccm (3.72 cu. in.)
NUMBER OF CYLINDERS: 1
CYLINDER BORE: 44mm (1.72 in.)
PISTON STROKE: 40mm (1.57 in.)
CYLINDER TYPE: Aluminum with chrome plated bore
INTAKE METHOD: Piston ported
MANUFACTURER ADVERTISED H.P.: 3.7 (5.5 HP @ 7,000 R.P.M. DIN)
WEIGHT : 6.2 kg
OPERATOR CONFIGURATION: One Man operation
HANDLEBAR SYSTEM: Rigid
CHAIN BRAKE: none
CLUTCH: Centrifugal
DRIVE TYPE: Direct
CONSTRUCTION: Die cast magnesium
MAGNETO TYPE: Bosch
CARBURETOR: Tillotson HS 29A, B, C, D,
HS-77A, B, C, HS-87A, HS-100A, HS-138A, HS-208A
MAJOR REPAIR KIT: RK-21HS for HS-87A, HS-100A
RK-23HS for all HS-29A, all HS-77, HS-138, HS-208A
MINOR REPAIR KIT: DG-3HS for HS-87A, HS-100A
DG-5HS/T for all HS-29, all HS-77, HS-138A, HS-208A
AIR FILTER SYSTEM: Nylon mesh element
STARTER TYPE: Automatic rewind (Fairbanks Morse type)
OIL PUMP: Automatic
OPERATING RPM: 6,500 to 7,000
IGNITION TIMING: 2.5mm (0.1 in.) before TDC
BREAKER POINT SETTING: 0.4mm (0.016 in.)
FLYWHEEL/COIL AIR GAP:
SPARK PLUG TYPE: Bosch WKA175T6
SPARK PLUG GAP: 0.51mm (0.020 in.)
CRANKSHAFT MAIN BEARINGS: Ball
FUEL TANK CAPACITY: 560ml
FUEL OIL RATIO: 20:1 after break in.
RECOMMENDED FUEL OCTANE: Regular
MIX OIL SPECIFICATION: Castrol 2-stroke SAE40
CHAIN PITCH: 3/8 in., optional .404 in.
CHAIN TYPE: Oregon
BAR MOUNT PATTERN:
SHORTEST GUIDE BAR SUPPLIED: 35cm (14 in.)
LONGEST GUIDE BAR SUPPLIED: 63cm (25 in.)
COLOUR SCHEME: Grey with Red top cover
PAINT CODES:
ILLUSTRATED PARTS LIST:
SERVICE MANUAL:

o

dont sweat the points in the Farmboss. Mine runs fine on the original points and condenser.

o

Am lookinf for ingitation coil

o

Check out the chainsawr site Scott has numerous parts for various saw manufactuers . He is much beter than gambling on Ebay Intergrity for sourcing of older saw parts.

o

My local Ace hardware store can get me parts for my 041 FB.

o

Depending on which Model 041 AV . AV Super or the Older G Model they where Manufactured from 1967 through to 1977 as noted and 61 cc thru to 72 cc on the AV Super with Electronic Bosch Ignition . Scott has some NOS parts still available . I picked up a coil and points and condenser for $37.00 and $14.00 respectively for a 1967 Model Pioneer. It get dicey trying to find some OEM parts for older units even fuel line can be interesting lol . Good luck with your search Ron , keep the Ole Girl cutting .

o

I am a bit "new" witht eh chainsaws, and I am trying to replace the chain to my Farmboss (Non-AV model I think)?

How would I find out the length to buy?

Thanks a bunch

o

Adam: check the bar just prior to where the bar adjusting studs and nuts are located . It will show bar length and chain pitch and number of links . Ensure to obtain another Stihl Chain which are among the best manufactured.

o

Thanks for the info.

I measured the bat length (almost 16" from adjusting lugs to the tip of the circular end). I took the specifications I got ont eh web for the chain pitch.

Is the number of links on the chain that important if I know the bar length?

Thanks again

o

Anyone have a scan of a 041 AV manual or an IPL?

Thanks!

o

I have two 041 AV and one 050 AV there good starting and cutting saws old but cut like mad
one of the 041 Av is a bow saw and love to use it needed a chain for it and went to the stihl dealer and let him cut and replace the chain only cost was the chain.
that's the easy way to get a chain there are others chains out there but the dealer has the best

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Tool Shed Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here