Return to the Tool Shed Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Looking for bigger snow plow

Posted by tom_nwnj z6 NJ (My Page) on
Fri, Dec 28, 12 at 13:51

Hi, I have a 13-33" snowblower, which is fine for deep snows. But for small snows, and wet slushy stuff, I use a 3' blade attached to my TroyBuilt rototiller (5 hp). When standing out in the freezing rain trying to wrestle this thing around turns, it really gets old.

Paved drive is 500 feet + some parking areas.

I have a Honda CRV. See some companies make hitches and plows that apparently fit that auto. Costs ~ $1800. That's probably OK, but I just have to wonder, is this car designed to push 6" of snow. Meaning, will light plowing damage the tranny/differential, blow the head gasket, etc? Just wondering ...

Also own an old AG tractor. I could also buy a three point hitch blade for that. Price range- $200 to $600. But then I would still be out in the freezing rain, and probably plowing in reverse. Still not an optimal situation.

Also, what's the difference between steel snow blades, and those which have rubber squeegee tips. So I need a squeegee tip on my asphalt drive?

Thanks for any ideas/advice.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Looking for bigger snow plow

• Posted by baymee LehighValleyPA (My Page) on
    Sat, Dec 29, 12 at 7:46

I don't think you NEED a squeegee tip on your plow. All I know about plowing is that many full size trucks ruin their transmission by plowing snow.

o

Thanks baymee, that's what I thought. Many years ago, machines were over-engineered, but no more. Now most machines will do what the advertising says, and not one more inch.

Think I gonna order one of these scraper blades. Price is right. It comes with a rubber squeegee on the tip.

http://www.tractorsupply.com/countyline-reg-rear-blade-6-ft--2130039

o

Tom: Your Crv would be adequate for homeowner plowing. It would be critical to have your transmission inspected prior along with the front end components shocks ball joints , tie rod ends along with universal joints etc. These parts are stressed to extreme limits when plowing.
Normally shocks and other servicable units are upgraded to allow servicing monroe magnum shocks and moog ball joints are an example of better than oem units when a plow is to be installed. I believe your crv probably has macpherson stuts a form of coil over spring shock design which come in a cartridge style . These can be rather pricy but are available in a replacment heavy duty unit. The additional weight of the plow assembly really taxs a Utility Automobile front end . Have plowed commercially but always with a 3/4 ton Truck . My last being a F-250 Diesel and mu current a Dodge 2000 Cummins. Both have more than paid for themselves over 15 ys of service life when maintained and operated properly .

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Tool Shed Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here