Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
loger1_gw

Please share Jigs to hold pallet planks to cut with a chainsaw

loger_gw
11 years ago

Please share Jigs to hold pallet planks to cut with a chainsaw (electric). I use the wood to start fires only and might have a 4âÂÂX 4â cube of planks. I used my band saw to cut the planks the last 2 seasons after finding the source of wood. The band saw is dusty and time consuming for the small amount used when IâÂÂm not burning 24/7. With the band saw or chainsaw I know nails are a concern.

Thanks In Advance!

Comments (9)

• bill_kapaun
    11 years ago

I had a bunch of 6" wide fencing to cut up a few years ago. I just stacked about 16-18" of boards together with a pair of furniture clamps. (pipe type)

• loger_gw
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I use a similar method with small limbs stacked 3-4� high between post when I bring in 3-6" oak wood (from tree trimming off the curbs). Not being concerned with nails, this is a time saver and good heat/exercise vs larger logs. On a real cold night I can fit in 10-12" All-Nighter +! Feeding the fire before the next morning is history vs coals to continue with the next day. Holiday fires only are not close if I can keep finding reasonable wood!!!

• loger_gw
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Followup:

The pallet plank cutting setup vs a jig was not a challenge after sleeping on the matter. My Chop Saw with a bad carbide blade was the solution (incase I hit a nail). I have used the saw purchased for cutting metal, @ 3500 rpm w/o any problems cutting wood on framing jobs. Too cheap and late in life to want a Miter Saw after using a Radial Arm Saw for years to cut angles, framing and general woodworking.

The process went so fast that I d/n take the chance of cutting multiple boards (due to so many nails). Except, a few times when I had boards to split w/o any nails period. At my source I am able to get all planks from pallets vs assembled pallets. It will be interesting to see if any wood is in the free firewood area now vs my 7/2010 load (with about half gone). I needed that break (vs the dusty band saw) and should have all the starter wood cut for this winter +.

• gator_rider2
    11 years ago

I'm building one maybe late 2013 before end year. Working up material now smaller one this be made form beer keg stainless steel about 5 inch inside Keg for jet. No smoke out vent just co2 and steam. You burn small wood twigs people that have a lot use limbs that fall in yard as wood supply the fire burns sideways inside goes top barrel as close 1 inch you 1/4 per size inside pipe. Ashes are so small lite are none wood burns from ends. Draft is high speed so burns creosote as burns. Its not certified home use measurement are important. Flu goes in Box with small rocks the top this box called butt warmer.

Here is a link that might be useful: rocket stove mass heater

• mla2ofus
    11 years ago

I just use my sawzall w/ a short demo blade for campfire wood.
    Mike

• ewalk
    11 years ago

I usually use my Husky 460 Rancher for Hardwood Pallets and my Stihl MS260 for softwood which are smaller pallets. Cut up over 40 pallets in less than a hr into 4"x 12" sections for fire starting or a quick fire for spring and fall earlier this summer. Just had my right hip replaced Monday and will be kicking back and relaxing for a few weeks prior to any labourious endeavours lol . Merry Xmas Gang :)

• loger_gw
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Take It Easy Ewalk! The chainsaws and Sawzall are good choices IMO with assembled pallets with varying wood and known nail locations. My pallet plank's nails were not a huge concern but more than assembled.

My SUV and I were able to get a better load in planks vs pallets. BTW, the past 1993 Explorer Loved Me 15 years. The present 07 4Runner took over 2 yrs ago this Christmas. It's enjoying the minor work vs the utility trailer for major work. The Explorer as the 4Runner is fitted with a truck's shell when I know it will be needed. The totaled Explorer (due to a fried Main Wiring Harness and some heat damage) surprised me with a 3,700.00 value (due to options and good condition @ 116,000 mi. That helped a little in affording the 07 4 Runner (low mi, certified + ext war bumper to bumper) due to wanting a solid frame and read axle for off-road use.

I Have Not Caught A Fish Since! LOL. A lot is due to our North Tx drought and fun projects.

• ewalk
    11 years ago

Hey nice load of fire starter wood , even some 2x4 and 2x6 sections for free....good stuff Dude. P.S. I will smoke some white fish this weekend and send some South to Texas lol :)

• loger_gw
    Original Author
    11 years ago

The 10" Chop Saw carbide blade cuts small round wood 4" "easier" w/o rotating to cut larger just as good as pallet planks compared to a chainsaw. My new task is to cut small wood 12-16" long just to keep a bed of coal w/o tending the fire or wasting wood. At that length or shorter the wood stays in the bed of coals. I hate starting new fires vs using good coals. Cleaning & Rotating is a different story but not bad. I still question the dust from the cuts due to a variety of green/dry/seasoned woods being cut "in a garage" vs outside.

The quick good heat after the "All Nighters" is hard to beat with roller-coaster temps 20s-30s at night and 50s-60s during the day.

PS. Send Some Rain And Fish To North, Tx Soon!!!