Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
nsmithjr

craftsman 30cc weedwacker

nsmithjr
9 years ago

I have a craftsman 30cc 4 cycle weedwacker, model # 316731971. That is leaking oil thru the air filter. I took off the cover and there is a tube from the bottom of the engine that goes to the air filter. It is attached by a plastic tube with 2 small holes in it. Has anyone else had this issue and do you know how I can fix it. Thank in advance.

Comments (16)

• loger_gw
    9 years ago

Please post a link or good clear pic showing the issue.

• nsmithjr
    Original Author
    9 years ago

This is the plastic end that is in the air cleaner. In the upper left hand corner. I will try and post the pictures of where the tube from the motor originates

• nsmithjr
    Original Author
    9 years ago

2nd picture, shows the tube from the motor connected tomthe air cleaner. It has the green dot on it.

• nsmithjr
    Original Author
    9 years ago

This one shows where the tube originates from at the bottom of the motor. Thanks for requesting the pictures, hope these help.

• hippy
    9 years ago

90% of the problems I have found to cause oil in the air filter of 4 stroke trimmers can be traced by to the way that they are stored.

Hanging them up by the head (engine down) causes the oil to fill the valve cover gasket. Once it rotated the starting position (laid on the ground for example) the excess oil flows back through the valve cover vent tube into the carb, It the engine starts before all of the oil has drained back into the crank case. It gets sucked into the air filter much quicker and can cause fouled plugs and smoking.

• nsmithjr
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thank you for the insight. Here is my problem. It is brand new. And it started on the first run. It was a gift, and have no receipt, therefore Sears won't take it under warranty.
    It starts and runs great, doesn't smoke. Just the oil runs out the fliter.

• nsmithjr
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thank you for the insight. Here is my problem. It is brand new. And it started on the first run. It was a gift, and have no receipt, therefore Sears won't take it under warranty.
    It starts and runs great, doesn't smoke. Just the oil runs out the fliter.

• loger_gw
    9 years ago

1. Are you sure itâÂÂs pure oil or oil/gas residue?
    2. Have you checked oil x full? Is it one w/o a dip-stick vs fill until level with fill hole?
    3. Have you allowed it to run w/o a filter to see if it appears as coming from the EngineâÂÂs Case or Carb?

A review at the address below:

http://www.sears.com/craftsman-30cc-4-cycle-straight-shaft-weedwacker-8482-gas/p-07173197000P#

Returned
    I bought this product and used it once. It worked ok. I sat it in my garage floor and picked it up to use again two weeks later. When I picked it up, oil spilled out all over the floor. Four cycle engine oil was leaking from somewhere and had pooled inside the engine shroud. When I picked up the machine, it spilled. I took it back and returned it. I will not be buying another.

• nsmithjr
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Fairly sure it's oil, has the velocity of regular oil. It is half way in the site tube, where the instructions say it is to be.
    Took the filter off and the oil is coming from the vent.
    Goingmto drain the oil and start from scratch, see if I mave have over filled the crankcase.

• loger_gw
    9 years ago

If you have the specs on the amount of oil needed, measure and compare. My one experience to fill or check a 4 cycle trimmer was to fill until the oil runs out the fill hole (while the trimmer is level on the ground). Volume might be a better process of filling.

Sears appears to have a 2 yr warranty if you could get proof of purchase Via Card, Check, Etc. I feel Sears has a method of knowing the trimmer was purchased (if you push the issue toward the Top Management.

• nsmithjr
    Original Author
    9 years ago

First off, Happy Holidays,
    The weedwacker was a gift from a former friend, whom I found out paid cash for it, and no longer has the recipient. Have contacted Sears a couple of times, said I could bring it ij and they would wend it off, but at my expense. Rather try and fix it myself. Thank you.

• nsmithjr
    Original Author
    9 years ago

First off, Happy Holidays,
    The weedwacker was a gift from a former friend, whom I found out paid cash for it, and no longer has the recipient. Have contacted Sears a couple of times, said I could bring it ij and they would wend it off, but at my expense. Rather try and fix it myself. Thank you.

• Tim Harrison
    3 years ago
    last modified: 3 years ago

I have one that was bought last year and my son bought one just like mine at the end of last summer. 2019 and both of them are leaking oil out of the air filter area. Mine won’t hold oil at all, his as of today just started being like that. All because both of them I was trying to make sure it had enough oil. Loger Gw you hit the nail right on the head. I believe has happened to both of mine. I believe its a craftsman defect.

• Indeed adenwala
    3 years ago

I have bought a Craftsman weed Trimmer 4Cycle almost two months ago.

I bought it in cash and lost the receipt.

problem:

when I was running The running it was stopping automatically so I thought maybe oil is less so I fill the oil. after that engine is throwing white smoke like crazy.

Now even the Rope which we put to start the engine is somewhat stuck.

I have talked to Craftsman they said: take it to service centers they have given me some case number nothing is in writing. Most of the service center is not taking without a receipt.

Now when I took this to one service center which is taking without a receipt they are asking for 40 dollars for inspection. they said if it manufactures fault we will return it otherwise we take this money as our labor charge for inspection.

Please guide should I use more 40 dollars for inspection or get it fix from somewhere else to lose the warranty option.

• ssewalk1
    3 years ago

You most likely over filled the oil and hydrolocked the engine , drain off some oil and remove the spark plug and clean it . prior to replacing plug pull the engine over to clean out any residual oil . Replace plug and check engine oil on dip stick for proper level and attempt restarting ! It may smoke a little until excess oil in the combustion chamber is burnt off .