Return to the Tool Shed Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Chainsaw compression tester

Posted by nysff (My Page) on
Sat, Dec 11, 10 at 17:56

I'm looking to pick up a compression tester to use with chain saws and hopefully other small engines. The one available at Baileys indicates that the check valve is at the end of the hose. I assuming other compression testers have a check valve(Shrader) either at the end of the hose or at the inlet to the gauge. Anywhere other than at the end of the hose will add to the volume of the cylinder and will take more pulls to get full pressure, but I don't think it matters where the check valve is, as long as there is one. Just checking to see if they all have one since I don't see them mentioned on some other testers such an Actron CP7826 which seems widely available at a lower price than the Baileys tester.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Chainsaw compression tester

The Old Rule Of Thumb! You s/n be able to hold the compression in with your finger while cranking. Personally, I find this different 30 years later with my finger and gauges due to low compression start engines (which my arms enjoy). Some little or almost no compression engines (blowers/trimmers)will start and run with good power.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Tool Shed Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here