Return to the Tool Shed Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Back Wheels on Snapper SB locked up

Posted by tooltime79 Midwest US (My Page) on
Sat, Dec 26, 09 at 19:01

I noticed my drive mechanism was slipping yesterday while blowing very heavy, wet snow. All of a sudden the rear wheels locked up tight and I had to drag it home. It's a 1991 Snapper I422 2 stage. I've never had a problem with it until now. Thanks!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Back Wheels on Snapper SB locked up

Though not familiar with your exact machine, the answer probably lies inside the lower cover and will need inspection. bolt out of a jack shaft, broken carrier, spring etc.

o

OK, thanks Tom. I did remove the inspection cover from underneath and found all sorts of rubber material laying in the bottom along with metal shavings. A chunk of rubber got in the sprocket and cog for the rear drive shaft. I cleaned that out and now it rolls freely. I also found the blower drive belt is loose and slapping when disengaged after I removed the belt cover.

Back to the drive system, the vertical wheel is very loose and wobbles side to side so that much be shot. I get just a little forward motion from the drive system now even after adjusting the cable tighter. Seems I have multiple problems here.

o

It's not so bad once you have the cover off. It sounds as though that the friction disc came apart and created all kinds of issues. A significant amount of wobble isn't good. While you are there you want to know that the driven plate also seems secure. Look for lateral movement in bearing and such.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Tool Shed Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here