Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ray_and_laura

Drill press chuck

ray_and_laura
9 years ago

Do any of you guys/ladies have either of the drill press chucks that I'm looking for?

One is a jacobs 14N "Ball Bearing Super Chuck".

The other is a chuck with a Jacobs 33 female taper and a threaded collar that secures it to the drill press spindle. Designations that I have seen for this type of chuck are 633C, 34-33C and JAC-34-33C.

These are for a 1950's era Craftsman drill press that I'm restoring for my son. He's a Marine Corps veteran up to his eyeballs in family and work commitments and I'm giving him a hand with this project.

I've got a drawer full of old chucks but neither of these.

My email is raywaldbaum@gmail.com

Thanks!

Comments (12)

• loger_gw
    9 years ago

Does either of the attached look close? I use the ýâ Jacobs usually on lathes/drill presses. The larger chuck is chucked in a chuck when needed vs turning down the shank of a bit. They were items easily found in Fort Worth, TX due to the Aircraft Industry (used, new, flea market or Etc.

Do you have a pic of the drill press or links to the needs? .

• bus_driver
    9 years ago

Look at the offerings of this merchant for your chucks.

Here is a link that might be useful: Check here

• ray_and_laura
    Original Author
    9 years ago

loger and bus driver,

Thanks so much for responding so quickly.

Loger, The 633C and its replacement the 34-33C look just like the 6A in your picture except there is a tubular looking extension on the back around the female morse taper bore. That extension has a snap ring groove in it. A threaded collar goes below the snap ring and the collar is threaded onto the drill press spindle, bears against the snap ring and secures the chuck to the spindle. The 14N resembles the larger chuck in your picture but it is more barrel shaped.

Bus driver, I'm looking for some private party who is at the stage of life that I'm at, just turned 70 and starting to get rid of stuff that's been gathering dust for decades and obviously will never be used.

I know some other old packrats like me may have these chucks "on the shelf", as one of my neighbors says. At this point in my life I'm starting to give stuff to family, friends and neighbors who will be able to use it.

• loger_gw
    9 years ago

I Hear You, I Packed Too Much Too Long!!! New Technology from the 70s until now has made much of my stock obsolete. Finding interested young people is a challenge on tools still in use. The GoodWill Recyclers knows me well. I give until I get tired and take a break with lots to go still.

I purchased at Flea Markets, Garage Sales and Computer Surplus Sales 70s ��" 90s. I realized by 1990 many items will be âÂÂTotal Junkâ before my experiments. IâÂÂm into Giving vs Sales to recover storage and working space. LOL

The most outdated became computers and parts. Automotive electrical test instruments became outdated. Woodworking, Metalworking and welding have held on my level and interest.

Please show a link of your drill press and the chuck needed and IâÂÂll check with others.

• ray_and_laura
    Original Author
    9 years ago

loger,

I just took some photos but I can't figure out how to post more than 1 here. Can I have your email address so I can send them there? Mine is raywaldbaum@gmail.com

Ray

• loger_gw
    9 years ago

That one Pic is all I needed to see vs other Pics. The Pic is a lesson to me on chucks. Allowing one Pic attachment is challenging without using URL codes from image hosting software. IâÂÂm not as bold as you are to post my email address vs private messages, that IâÂÂm not sure are included on this board.

IâÂÂll be surprised to find a chuck on this style since I have not noticed one. I have only seen the tapered attached vs a sleeved. I will check with some friends to see what they have in stock-plies. Is this type chuck fairly common to Homes Shops vs Machine Shops?

• ray_and_laura
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Loger,

Both of these chucks have female taper mounts, not threaded mounts. The one on the left is original equipment of various drill presses like Craftsman, Delta and Rockwell, part number 633A. It is a so called "plain bearing" chuck. The chuck on the right is a "Ball Bearing Super Chuck", a more accurate chuck IF the jaws, female taper and mounting arbor are in perfect condition, part number 14N. Machine shops use this type of chuck. It can grip a drill bit so tightly that it puts dents in the drill shank, not that i would ever tighten it that much.

I have adapted a 14N onto my own Craftsman drill press. here is a photo of an adaptor I made. It is shaped like a thimble with a female Jacobs 33 taper to fit the Craftsman drill press spindle and a Male Jacobs 3 taper to fit a 14N chuck.

Having a home machine shop frees a person to actually make anything he/she can imagine. I have a lathe and a milling machine. To anyone who finds one of these chucks for me in good condition and not overpriced I will owe you a favor in my home machine shop.

• ray_and_laura
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Loger,

Here is my own drill press. It's the same as the one I'm working on for my son except his is a floor unit and mine is a benchtop unit. Notice that mine has a home made collar above the chuck to allow mounting of a Delta mortising attachment and it also has a 14N chuck adapted on.

I've had this drill press since 1959. I was a junior high school kid. One of my school buddies wanted my 10-speed bicycle (they were uncommon then) and I wanted his dad's drill press so we did a swap.

• tomplum
    9 years ago

That tool is a work of art! They don't make'em like that anymore. What was your address and when do you go into town for coffee again?! :)

• NHBabs z4b-5a NH
    9 years ago

Keep an eye on your local Craigslist. DH has gotten some real deals on chucks, bits, and various other parts for old machinery as shops convert to CNC and are getting rid of old equipment. He usually ends up buying mixed boxes and sorts through to find what he can use.

• loger_gw
    9 years ago

That was a good Swap. LOL! Very good Pics Also. Additional Posted Attachments Is my way of sharing along with links. URL cods are good if you are into the application of integrating Pics and comments.

I spotted one drill press that I helped a friend on. It looks like it could have been a Craftsman. I can check with him for more info if the attached is a maybe. We did the work in 09 and he buys to sell which means itâÂÂs probably gone but maybe some parts.

My Pics of 95% of my inventory of tools, supplies and most past projects I have worked on since 03 comes in handy (w/o searching closets and remembering related projects). I checked my 9â South Bend Lathe and only saw one 6A Jacobs Chuck (from a glance but will look closer later and know where I traded a 2nd to ask).

The Aircraft Industry here in North TX has supplied us with tons of surplus machinery, tools and supplied. The Public schools here closed most of the Industrial Arts Labs in the 90s (Metal, Small Engines, Plastics, Wood and Etc). There were more tons of equipment, very reasonable and going to waste now.

Williams Tools was a Major Business in Forth Worth, TX that stocked and sold tons of surplus machinery and supplies. The business closed and reopened. On my last visit about 2010 they were converting from âÂÂNew/Used Warehouse Bulk Surplus Sales to New Surplus Across The Counterâ from past Industries and Etc.. Too Much History!!!

What are your Local sources? What is a reasonable cost? What is a reasonable cost for the older 9â South Bend Lathes? I converted to an overhead Serpentine belt vs leather to use less space.

• ray_and_laura
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Tomplum,

Yeah, I really like the old machines with iron castings as sturdy as engine blocks and transmission cases. Below is a picture of an ancient Craftsman 12" metal lathe I restored for my son. It was given to a friend of mine about 35 years ago disassembled and it sat in my friend's garage as a rusty pile of parts until about 3 years ago. Then my friend retired and moved and gave the junk pile to my son who dumped it in my garage.

Nhbabs,

I'm close to the San Francisco Bay area but the culture there does not lean towards hobby machinists so craigslist doesn't list many tools. San Francisco is a center for some activities but machining is not one of them.

Loger,

I'm originally from Southern California, home to a lot of aircraft related industry. If I still lived there finding these chucks would be so easy. Many guys have home shops and this kind of stuff is bought, sold and traded every day.

I'd expect to pay about $15 for one of these chucks for 2 reasons. First, as long as there is no damage I don't mind a little rust because it is easily removed. Second, I'm only looking for the chuck, not the arbor. Some ebay sellers list these with minimum bids of 5 times and more of what I expect to pay but nobody buys those expensive ones. I don't know what they are thinking. The actual selling prices are right in my ball park. In fact I bought the 14N on the lathe in the picture below with a MT2 shank that fit the lathe for $15 off ebay,

With regard to the value of your Southbend lathe, do you belong to the Machinict Web forum? There are lots of Southbend guys on that forum who could answer your question. It's a really cool forum.