Return to the Tool Shed Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Installing a fibreglass handle on a maul

Posted by dmullen Southern CA (My Page) on
Fri, Dec 22, 06 at 19:53

Today, I tried to install a new Ames True Temper fibreglass handle on my 10 lb. maul head. I want to use it with a wedge to split firewood.

I carefully caulked the bottom of the opening per instructions using the caulking they provide. I put the caulking completely around the shaft at the bottom of the opening and pushed it into the opening just a little. The caulking surrounded the shaft and seemed as tight as I could make it fit.

After mixing and putting the epoxy in the opening at the top, I stood the maul and handle upright so that the epoxy could cure.

When I came back 10-15 minutes later, all the epoxy had somehow leaked around the caulking and ran down the handle.

Now, I am out of epoxy and of course Ames True Temper has no email access so you must call between 8:30 and 4:30 Monday to Friday EST.

I want to install the head this weekend and wondered if anyone else had run into this problem and if so, how did you solve it.

I am thinking of trying JB Weld but don't know if it would be an appropriate material.

Also thought about finding some expoxy somewhere but this time might try hot glue instead of caulking around that opening. Seems like hot glue should provide a very tight fit that will not leak.

Any suggestions or any other ideas about material to use?

Thanks

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Installing a fibreglass handle on a maul

I glued a handle that would never stay put with Polyurethane type glue. (Gorilla glue or other brands.)It holds and never even hints at coming off. Polyurethane types of glues swell and foam up and tend to tighten the parts together. If you use this be sure the area is humid. This aids the curing process of Polyurethane glues.
If not using this method your choice of JB Weld is good. It's the best epoxy anywhere by far. Takes overnight to harden and it may sag or run if used in large quantities so you'll have to gard against that.

o
RE: Installing a fiberglass handle on a maul

rdaystrom

Thanks for the response.

I have used Gorilla glue and it is great but it never occurred to me to use it for this. That is a great idea because I need something that flows and the explanation would be an added benefit.

This handle has a piece of metal embedded that sticks out a little when inside the maul head and the glue will need to flow around it. Gorilla glue should do that while JB Weld may not flow enough to fill around that metal. I haven't used JB Weld for a few years and cannot remember if it flows when first mixed. Still have a little and may mix some up this afternoon to see how liquid it would be.

Thanks again.

o

I see a mis-type in my response. I meant to say expansion but something happened. Cannot find a way to edit that posting so wanted to clarify it here. Thanks

o

I replaced a fiberglass handle in a maul using Devcon epoxy. I think I used duct tape to prevent it from running down the handle. It has held for over a year so far.

o
RE: Installing a fiberglass handle on a maul

Thanks for the responses. Rather than wait for Ames to send new epoxy, I bought some Super Glue Epoxy at Home Depot and installed it yesterday.

Used hot glue to caulk the opening where the head and handle go together and it worked perfectly. The epoxy set up in 5-10 minutes and hardened overnight. Ready to use it now.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Tool Shed Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here