Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
dmullen_gw

Installing a fibreglass handle on a maul

dmullen
17 years ago

Today, I tried to install a new Ames True Temper fibreglass handle on my 10 lb. maul head. I want to use it with a wedge to split firewood.

I carefully caulked the bottom of the opening per instructions using the caulking they provide. I put the caulking completely around the shaft at the bottom of the opening and pushed it into the opening just a little. The caulking surrounded the shaft and seemed as tight as I could make it fit.

After mixing and putting the epoxy in the opening at the top, I stood the maul and handle upright so that the epoxy could cure.

When I came back 10-15 minutes later, all the epoxy had somehow leaked around the caulking and ran down the handle.

Now, I am out of epoxy and of course Ames True Temper has no email access so you must call between 8:30 and 4:30 Monday to Friday EST.

I want to install the head this weekend and wondered if anyone else had run into this problem and if so, how did you solve it.

I am thinking of trying JB Weld but don't know if it would be an appropriate material.

Also thought about finding some expoxy somewhere but this time might try hot glue instead of caulking around that opening. Seems like hot glue should provide a very tight fit that will not leak.

Any suggestions or any other ideas about material to use?

Thanks

Comments (5)