Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
bobjrmd

Snapper Snow Blower Repair

bobjrmd
14 years ago

I own a Snapper I 524. During the last snow storm the blades stopped turning. I tried adjusting the belt tension and that didn't work. I then replaced both the drive and auger belts. Again no success. Is it possible that it might be something to do with the gear box between the two blades and the auger?

Comments (14)

• baymee
    14 years ago

Did you check to see if the sheer pins were broken? Can you spin the augers with your hand?

• bobjrmd
    Original Author
    14 years ago

I checked the sheer pins and they are in tact. Blades do not spin freely, however auger will engage.

• tomplum
    14 years ago

If you are saying that the front augers are secured to the shaft and the rear impeller turns under power with no action on the front auger- that points to your gear box yes. What baymee may have been suggesting is to try spinning 1 auger freely from the other. Sometimes pins will shear and appear intact. None the less, turning the auger should spin the impeller. Obviously tests are done w/ the machine off.

• bobjrmd
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Tom, thanks so much for the response. I will double check the shear pins again, believe me I wish it was that. Assuming it is not, right now I cannot turn the blades freely. If it is the gear box how difficult is that to replace? I am willing to try anything at this point.

Thx,

Bob

• tomplum
    14 years ago

"If it is the gear box how difficult is that to replace?" In can be challenging. Normally you will split the machine, remove the impeller pulley (which can be difficult due to just etc) and bring the whole works out the front. Many gear boxes are serviceable in which you can replace the gear set, bearings, seals etc.

• bobjrmd
    Original Author
    14 years ago

I will give it a shot...thanks for your assistance.

• dzastrgb8_aol_com
    13 years ago

I have a model I-524 and the belt is very loose, assuming it has stretched, are the belts easy to replace?

• tomplum
    13 years ago

If there is sufficient room to pull the belt through in between the drive and augar pulleys, they go pretty easy. There may also be adjustments in the handle controls as well. Snapper.com will many times have the owners manuals online which should give you the steps if needed.

• ewalk
    13 years ago

Glenn: If you are normally just a little mechanically inclined you will be capable of a belt change-out with a little patience . As Tom has suggest you may wish to check out the Snapper web site for their illustrative information . Sometimes the replacement is a little tougher than the removal . Take of the top belt cover and visualize the belt routing and then loosen the belt tension-er and r&r the belt. I usually index the adjuster bolt location to ensure more or less same tension position with the new belt . Let us know how it goes Bro ! :)

P.S. You may wish to lubricate the chain drive and grease points during this routine maitenance period . Be careful not to get chain lube or grease on the pulleys or friction disc . A little goes a long ways .

• pullenp64_yahoo_com
    13 years ago

i have a snow blower that wont shift out of reverse any suggestions

• ewalk
    13 years ago

Pete : remove the belly pan inspection plate (4-6 capscrews) and inspect the shifter rod assembly it may have disconnected .

• YellowstoneYeti
    13 years ago

I have a Snapper/Simplicity I75246E snowblower. I was using it today and the auger drive belt came off. When I went to put the belt back on the pulley, I noticed that there was about 1/2" of play in the pulley. By this, I mean that I can move the whole assembly (pulley, impeller, and shaft to auger gear box) back to front horizontally a good 1/2". The worm shaft actually slides in/out of the auger gear box. All of the bolts seem to be tight. The belt/pulley has worn a small groove in the plastic belt cover, so I'm assuming that something is worn or broken. The impeller/auger still works, just seems to have excessive play. Any suggestions on what parts or adjustments I should be looking at? Sorry if my terminology and descriptions are confusing. I'm mechanically inclined, but have very limited experience with snowblowers. Thanks

• sdwway
    7 years ago

Help! My Snapper I55223 snowblower has a seized rh auger. I removed the left sleeve that the shaft fits in to at the case, and it feels like it is seized at the gearbox--but how can this only affect one side? The shear pin is intact. Any ideas?

• baymee
    7 years ago

Turn the impellor and see what happens. If the lh auger rotates, then maybe the right side broke at the shaft. Or double check the shear pins on the right side.