Return to the Tool Shed Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
726 snowblower not throwing snow

Posted by shirtguy SD (My Page) on
Sun, Dec 27, 09 at 20:03

Today in the middle of clearing 4 ft drifts down my 300 ft driveway the top stage (I believe its called the impeller ) is freeing to stop spinning and not throwing snow. The snow auger throws fine at first but quickly is overwhelm with snow and stops turning.

I don't think I should be able turn it by hand. Is this have a shear bolt. Where would it be? Hope I explained this .

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: 726 snowblower not throwing snow

It sounds as tho you are saying that the front augers are spinning fine under power, but the rear impeller doesn't seem attached to the shaft- correct? These are many times attached with roll pins driven in, but that is not to say you can't use a bolt to allow you to get things finished up. Usually "shear bolts are spec'd in the auger rather than the impeller. The tricky part is to locate the hole in the shaft so you can drive the pin out. It would be better to have make and actual model # to know for sure. You may even have a model which is keyed w/ set screws or that came with a bolt. Only the parts list knows for sure ...

o

Its a older model John Deers 726 I don't have a manual and can't locate a part list.

o

Below is a link for JD parts. It shows that the blower fan (IE impeller) is sold as one piece . So if the fan is spinning on the shaft, a visit to a weld shop is the the easiest fix. Otherwise it comes all the apart to repair. You really should have another person to verify what is happening as it is operated.
. Is it more correct to say that the front augers turn fine, but they stop when hitting the snow and the rear impeller is still turning solidly with the shaft? If that is the case, it may just be shear bolts.With the machine off, can you hold 1 auger and turn the other?

Here is a link that might be useful: JD

o

What is happening is that the from auger when lifting the snow up to the impeller. The impeller will not move and the front one also them jams. The impeller moves easy with the machine off.

o
RE: 726 snowblower not throwing snow-

Physically it is good to know the fan is solid w/ the shaft and input flows through the gear box to the auger shaft, which is turning the augers as the bolts are still good.That you will have to inspect. Maybe we're just talking a belt or impeller shaft bushing. You just need to get into it.

o

After further troubleshooting it looks like the belt is a little loose this would explain the problem. Sooo I'm not sure how to adjust the tighness of the belt.

o

Check the linkage for adjustment. Many of these had ball joints in which you could adjust the length of the rod.

o

Sounds like the belt is slipping,to me;...after I went to the link for parts,(wich is a great link by tomplum)I didn't see anything that showed how the impeller/blower was attached to the shaft.Usually they are solidly attached to the shaft,because there is usually no reason to remove them from the shaft. If you want to do a quick check,remove the sparkplug,and try moving the impeller back and forth in the housing ,while the drive for this attachement is engaged. Good luck.......

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Tool Shed Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here