Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
tomplum

Can't get Craftsman router apart...

tomplum
15 years ago

Thanks to the lure of the Sears dump table, I picked up a cheapo router a few years back and tossed it in a router table so I wouldn't have to keep swapping routers out. Finally enough debris had gotten down in the mechanism to where it flat out won't turn so I can make a depth adjustment. Trouble is, I can't figure how to get the mechanism off the motor housing. Can anyone give me guidance here? Model 315.175100 Thanks.

Comments (7)

• canguy
    15 years ago

Maybe this will help.

Here is a link that might be useful: Craftsman router

• tomplum
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thanks Canguy, but I don't still have a clue. What do you see when you look at the diagram? I'm guessing that if I can determine a way to disassemble the ring, or maybe a twist with the strap wrench set to kill may help. I went as far as pulling the end cap out w/ the brushes and armature. In the words of Sargent Schultz- I see nothing- nothing!

• canguy
    15 years ago

This diagram shows what look like threads on the motor housing. Maybe it screws off once the motor wires are disconnected.

Here is a link that might be useful: Craftsman router

• tomplum
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thought that I would post an update thinking at some point there would be a person seeking to know the same thing. Tried everything I could think of. I won't even bother to list. In the end, I destroyed it piece by piece to find the solution. The collar distorted enough to where it would never come off the motor housing. Didn't even seem to have been run too hot. Correct fix for this problem: Toss it. Better solution: Don't buy krap.
    But on the bright side I now have a motor w/ a 1/4 collect on the end...

• lbpod
    15 years ago

There is a lot of this type of merchandise out there.
    They are built for easy, economic assembly with no
    regard for later repairs. Don't feel bad, even if you
    got it apart, the repair parts are probably not available.
    But I'm like you, as I will destroy something if it isn't
    made to take apart, just to see what the problem was.
    The last thing I did along this line was cut open a
    sealed refrigerator compressor to see why the motor
    inside had quit, (yes, the refrigerant was evacuated
    per EPA guidelines ;~)

• tomplum
    Original Author
    15 years ago

So the next odd question: What do I do with it now? I re-assembled the motor, hooked up the switch and light and it sings once again @ 25,000rpms. I have a die grinder. Make a little fixed grinder for something?

• lbpod
    15 years ago

Just tuck in up in the rafters. You'll eventually find
    a use for it. But, utilize the 'Five Year Rule', which
    means that if you don't use it in 5 years then toss it.
    But also remember, the day after you toss it, you will
    need it.