Return to the Tool Shed Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Snowblower - Ok for Axle/Sprocket Assemblies to not be Parallel?

Posted by tanquerayg (My Page) on
Sat, Dec 7, 13 at 20:18

I need to fix an issue with a Jack Assembly (big and little sprocket on an axle) on a Craftsman Snowthrower, 11 HP, Model #536.886220. It appears the axle on it is anchored to the chassis by the retainer/bearings to be at a slight angle (approx 5 degrees) off from being parallel to the other axle/sprocket assemblies that has a chains going to. Does this make sense? I see one retainer/bearing is on a sheet metal section that broke a weld and moves further out of parallel alignment with heavy force. When I make sure it is back in position to the old weld position it is a little better but still a slight angle. I am going to reweld the sheet but am baffled and concerned with this. The chain slipped off recently and I found the weld break but it looks like after a fix it will still be angled. The sprocket teeth look machine to hold the change at an angle if need so maybe this is normal. Please let me know what is normal.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Snowblower - Ok for Axle/Sprocket Assemblies to not be Parall

Please post some good pics of your concerns. I feel you will get more and better replies. In many cases you can see and add better support, Etc to machinery than the manufacturer. Improvements And Whys Are Challenging!

o
RE: Snowblower - Ok for Axle/Sprocket Assemblies to not be Parall

Chances are when they flanged up the chassis, the brake operator got the sheet metal off a little bit before he pushed the pedal.
Just from a mechanical sense, the sprocket/chain life would be max if things lined up properly.
Rear derailleur bicycles live with mis matching chain lines, but those parts are considered consumables by anyone that does a lot of riding.

I'd line things up.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Tool Shed Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here