Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
poohbear2767

Homelite Chainsaw questions

Pooh Bear
17 years ago

I have here a Homelite chainsaw, Model number is UT105114.

Label on the side says Homelite XL Automatic Oiling.

I measured the bar as best I could and seems to be about 12 inches.

This saw has been sitting in storage for a long time.

It may have had fuel in it when it was put in storage.

So what do I need to do to get this saw working.

I guess the first thing is to put some fuel mix in it

and pull the rope a few times to see what happens.

When that doesn't work, what next.

And how many ounces of oil per gallon for the fuel mix.

I checked the Homelite website and couldn't find that model number.

Thanks.

Pooh Bear

Comments (131)

• heidi_hurst_yahoo_com
    13 years ago

i have just received a homelite 150 automatic will run but the fuel line has broken and i cant see how to put new fuel line on with out splitting the case. if there is a way i would appreciate knowing shortcut thanks.

• mg42_cableone_net
    13 years ago

I just bought a Blue Homelite XL-12 at an auction for $25.
    I did some TLC and replaced the spark plug and fuel. it runs great but the chain has a lot of slack but its sharp as hell so i dont know what to do like buy a nother chain or put up with it

• mg42_cableone_net
    13 years ago

and for you guys that need parts go to ebay i found lots of stuff on my model

• ewalk
    13 years ago

For a back up chain you can usually remove a link ,if the tensioner is at it mechanical limits but quite often the chain has been worn to the extent that replacement is advisable . Good Oregon Chain is available on the Net at very reasonable pricing .

• trble4_sbcglobal_net
    13 years ago

My husband has a Homelite superXL automatic chain saw Unit# 10045B It's approximately 25 years old. He is wanting to know where the float is. He believes it is stuck and he wants to get it loose as the saw will not start in its present condition. Appreciate any help.

• FISHERXP_AOL_COM
    13 years ago

MY SAW "GUY" TELLS ME MY OLD HOMELITE EZ AUTOMATIC, UT 10109, SN 03421261 NEEDS NEW CRANKSHAFT SEALS...BUT HE CAN'T FIND THEM. I'VE CHECKED SEVERAL WEBSITES AND DON'T SEE THAT SAW LISTED. WOULD APPRECIATE LEARNING WHERE I MIGHT FIND THESE SEALS OR IF THERE ARE SEALS FROM ANOTHER MODEL HOMELITE THAT WOULD FIT.

THANKS

• ewalk
    13 years ago

Randy : Check out the Chansawer.com site for your parts . Call Scott should further infor be required for your unit .

• mg42_cableone_net
    13 years ago

the website is spelled wrong here it is spelled correctily

http://store.chainsawr.com/

Just copy and paste this into your URL bar

• ewalk
    13 years ago

chainsawr.com will get you to the home page sorry for the typo . I have order numerous parts from Scott for vintage saws , he is a honest dude . All the Best with restoring the Old Homelite .
    Note: Thanx for the correctio Russell .

• ethomson47_gmail_com
    13 years ago

hi all i just traded some climbing gear for a xl auto textron i think its 1982 i think its 58cc it has 2o" barr how much larger can i get for it and is cc rite for this saw is this an admirable saw for homelite owners i like it much

• ewalk
    13 years ago

Diesel , there should be another number designation. I do not recall the Textron Monique . The XL Auto was 1st produced back in 1969 , numerous 58 cc class units. Does your saw have a Tillotson or Walbro or Zama Carb ? Normally any Pro Grade Saw within the 60 cc class is limited to
    within a 24 " Bar or less for effective cutting , 20" or 18 " is Optimium . As for your last question yes , there is a strong following of Vintage Homelite Saws . Keep the Ole Girl Running I have a few Old Pioneers of Mid 60's Vintage that still run strong .

• ethomson47_gmail_com
    13 years ago

hi all thanks for info i have a zama carb and#50156 terry textron xl auto nice saw red heavy power house this saw spanked a stihl 048 like no tomorow my buddy spoke to highly of his "man saw he say" and even with dull chain hard ash like butter lol homelite forever all

• slvfx50_aol_com
    13 years ago

I have a Homelite XL AO UT 105072 that I have had for 30 years. It has cut a mountain of wood in that time and is still in pretty good shape. The question is , when the saw starts to warm up it leaks fuel mix out of the exhaust and smokes heavily. Oiling seems to be a little slow from the tank to the bar and then it leaks bar oil after it sits. I can't find a new saw as light and handy as this little guy so I need to fix it for spring prunning. Any ideas where to start on the repairs?

• glen230
    13 years ago

I've got a blue XL 12 (SN 20611569) that will crank when I pour a few drops of gas mix down the carb. Only runs a few seconds and dies. Fresh gas mix, fuel line seems to be ok, good filter, etc. Will not start unless I pour mix in carb. Took the carb off yesterday and cleaned well. It will run a couple of seconds and die. Compression is good.
    Any advice would be appreciated.
    Thank you,
    Glen S

• tombrook_shentel_net
    13 years ago

I have two 12" saws.A "XL2" & "XL"
    The "XL2" has a champ. DJ6J plug in it.
    The "XL" has a champ. CJ8 plug in it.
    Are these the right plugs?

• dfspratt_aol_com
    13 years ago

I have a Homelit SLX chainsaw,when i pull cord to start it yank's it out of my hand(that hurts). I removed plug wire same thing,when i remove spark plug it pulls fine. When i finally get it started it runs fine,it does the same thing when it's hot.
    Thank's
    Danny

• billw
    12 years ago

jim venuto
    The DJ7Y plug is the correct one for both.
    Bill

• billw
    12 years ago

glen230
    I suspect the carb diaphragms need R&R. Send me the make of the carb (WALBRO or ?) I stock the carb Kits.

Bill
    785-562-3539

• fertileturtle1_yahoo_com
    12 years ago

I actually have a couple questions first off i was recently giving a homelite 330 and super XL with manual oiler the 330 has spark put gas in the carb fires right up not sure where to look first for the no gas pick up part carb? filter? manifold conector( i think its called) or reeds? the super XL was run without oil in the gas only has 65 psi compression found some reasonable priced parts or is it not worth fixing and also does anyone have any idea where i can find parts for my old CS 50 i love this bought it two years ago for 40 bucks at the pawn shop cant slow it down one of best running saws i've owned but i need the rear handle on the right side its patched ran over with the van (fixed) then tree fell on it and broke it behind the old patch(fixed again) just not sure what to do if anythibng else happens to it I would appreciate any and all help i can get

• sixty4chevrolet_yahoo_com
    12 years ago

I was just given a light metallic blue homelite 150 16 inch saw. Runs great. Leaks bar oil from the bottom. Is this fixable and very complicated to repair ? Do I just need replacement gaskets ? Also need a chain. Old one says Oregon on it. Any advice ? Thanks, Joe.

• thecosmicenergy_gmail_com
    12 years ago

I am in need of a new 12" x 3/8" pitch x .050" gauge guide bar, chain, and drive sprocket including bearing for an old Homelite XL2 (serial#: 42833733), but can't seem to get a hold of Mr. Bill Walcott. I have tried calling the phone# he has posted here, both with AND without using a "1" prefix in front of it, but to no avail as of yet. Both ways, there was no answer with just a generic voicemail message afterward. If Mr. Walcott or anyone else can point me in the right direction, I would appreciate it. I am in the Piedmont area of North Carolina, and have called about every place I know of locally. I CAN order from Ebay, but don't really want to wait that long to receive if possible, as I have some fallen trees from a storm to clear.

Also,....am I even doing the right thing here by attempting to keep this OLD Homelite going or should I just get a new saw? The saw is easy to start & stays running great even when hot, but it's hard telling for how much longer. I inherited it from my stepdad, and have no idea WHEN he bought it, but it seems pretty old. I can get a Poulan 14" Model #P3314 at Lowes for $100 (I have a $10 off card):
    http://tinyurl.com/3u3paud

Should I just do that instead of switching out the bar and chain on the old Homelite? I only need a chainsaw about once every five years or so to clear out the odd fallen tree or whatnot.

Thanks in advance & all advice appreciated,
    Cosmic

• ewalk
    12 years ago

Cos: If the Ole girl runs well and all you use it for is annual (once a yr) cleanup . Sure put a new chain and bar on her . The bearing and sprocket should be available via Scott on the Chainsawr Site. Check out the Arborist Site for additional info should parts not be available via Scott . As a last resort Ebay should bring you a lot of parts also although of questionable quality . I assume you have sent Mr Walcott a Email ? He is a little slow at responding sometimes but usually gets back to you within a week. If all else fails the Poulan will suffice just ensure to use fresh fuel and stabil prior to storage (run her dry) and it will be ready for action next yr. All the Best !

• ddu001_gmail_com
    12 years ago

I recently got a Homelite Chainsaw, the model# is UT10517B, serial# 7D2040960. If anyone happen to have manual for it, could you share with me?

When I pull the cord, it seems have good pressure, but not start. The previous owner said it worked one and half years ago, and was in storage since then. what are the steps I should follow to clean it up and make it run?

Thanks,

Tony

• ewalk
    12 years ago

Start with checking for a good blue spark . Then if all good prime with a little gas in the plug hole . If she starts for a few seconds then prime her again and ensure fresh fuel 50-1 ratio and 2 ounces of concentrated fuel cleaner . Let the cleaner slowly run through the fuel circuits . You most likelly may also need to tune the jets and also spray some cleaner to clean the orifces out . Set the jets at 1-1/4 to 1/-1/2 turns out from closed . Hopefully you shall not require a carb diaphram kit .

• rmagnuson4_comcast_net
    12 years ago

I have a UT10656A, ser #HM2210733 It runs great and would like to buy another chain. Is the Oregon S59 compatible? or is there a better choice?

• tuffymcnutt_yahoo_com
    12 years ago

Doing research on a Blue Homelite EZ chainsaw SN 20761492 I was given. this thread has been helpful thanks everyone. This saw is in running condition and purrs beautifully. From the post I gather a 32:1 ratio will work fine for fuel. any guesses on the size chain I need? with the 16" original bar being tear dropped shaped I can not find the right size chain. the local dealer was no help just said the saw was garbage and he would give me $20 so he could hang it up with the other old saws he has in his shop.

• ewalk
    12 years ago

Army: Give Bill a call within this thread he has left his Phone Number and has numerous Homelite Saw Parts .

• Jimmie2919
    12 years ago

I have a homelite super ez chain saw and I need a new bar
    and chain for it. The new bars won't fit because they don't have the adjusting hole in them. Do you know anyway
    to fix this problem? the number on the old bar is W-16503.

• steve7791
    12 years ago

I have a Homelite chainsaw 410 SuperXL UT number 100451 Serial # 480950156, can it be converted from points to electronic ignition? If not, where can the points be obtained from?

• newcar54
    12 years ago

i hav a homelite 330 chainsaw it runs fine, but the chain oiler is not working. i have checked the lines, pump and filter nothing is plugged, it just wont pump oil. i have run it without the bar onso that should not be a problem there. can i get some help or advice with this problem. thank you

• Mike1015
    12 years ago

I have an Old Blue I got some time in 1996 at a hardware store. I never changed the air filter or spark plug. I have never winterize it either. This beast just keeps running. I let it sit for 2 years and on the second pull it started,it just keeps running. It's a good machine but,loud you definitely need ear protection and it's heavy. I think I'll be doing some maintenance to it. It's about time.

• cwilder1225_att_net
    12 years ago

I have a homelite super 2 automatic oiling model #10617.
    I bought it new and it dosen't have a lot of hours on it, but has not been maintained well either. My problem is that it won't start. I cleaned the air filter and replaced it, checked the plug for fire which was good, except when removing the plug it is wet with gas. I consider myself to be fairly strong, but can hardly pull the start rope when the plug is in place, but when out it spins real easy. Could it have anything to do with the timing? It has solid state ignition,(no points or condensor). Thank's for any help you can send my way.

• ch1935
    12 years ago

I have a Homelite XL2 Auto 14 inch chainsaw.type50059 sn 430BT009 can you tell me what yr. it is. And where I can get a manual for it, if any. and cost.
    thank you ch1935

• willmay15367
    12 years ago

I have a homelite 20" model #ut10942. It's a few years old but have very few hours. When I first bought it, it ran well and cut easily through large - 15" limbs with great pull and power - really cut well.

Now however it runs well but completly stops when I put the slightest cutting load on it. Just won't cut.

I sharpened the blade, made sure there is oil, has the right gas mix.

The chain brake doesn't work anymore either.

I am really disappointed with this saw.

What can I do?

• willbgoode
    12 years ago

Hello to all, I was given a homelite VI super 2 recently it has good compression and after some cleaning runs really well, it's got an echo 31207 bar but no chain what chain size is recommended for this? oh yeah it's got a 14" cut,the number on the saw is 105494 ,thanks for any assisitance

• willbgoode
    12 years ago

Sorry I had worded my question wrong ,am wanting to know which chain would be compatible for saw just want to use it for some firewood, and it's and oregon # 31207 bar not an echo ,thanks again

• dave562
    12 years ago

need a manual for an XL auto oiling,any help would be appreciated.This was given to me, and runs like a champ.
    Thanx dave562

• homelitelover
    9 years ago

Hi how much do you want for the saw?

• shadylane4
    9 years ago

I have a Homelite
    super XL automatic
    Ut no. 10045-C
    Serial no. 4F2350089

Can anyone tell me what year this saw is and where I might find parts.
    Also my manual has 50 to 1 fuel mix but I've read posts that say 40 to 1 and
    32 to 1. Which is it and how critical is it. Also how does that translate to ounces of oil to one gallon of gasoline.Thanks this is a great furum

• billw
    9 years ago

Your saw was made in 1984 .
    I should have most any part for your SXL.
    The important thing with your mix is to be sure you have a full gallon of gas that you add the mix into, be it 16:1, 32:1 or which ever the oil is rated at.
    Bill
    785-562-3539
    SERVICING HOMELITE FOR OVER 50 YEARS

• glenamoore
    7 years ago

Great forum here and a great education! I just picked up a Homelite 150 Automatic model UT 104324, serial number 380600059. It appears to have had little use, is completely old-school as far as safety brake and that sort of stuff, but I put a tank of 50:1 regular gas in it and it fired right up, idled just fine, and cut as well as its not-so-sharp chain could be expected to do.

I have a couple of questions as I get to know and trust the saw, and any input is greatly appreciated.

1. Did I injure the engine with a short run of 50:1 fuel, and should the octane be higher than regular fuel? Should I definitely be using a 32:1 mix?

2. How do I know if the automatic oiler is oiling? The oil tank had oil in it, and I topped it off with bar and chain oil: how much oil residue should I see on the bar?

3. Does the safety tip wheel fit onto the roller tip bar on this saw, and can Bill Walcott send me one?

4. Is there a retro-fit toothy-poker plate available to mount on the engine face like more modern saws use? That seems like a good stabilizing/safety device.

5. Is the Oregon 72 the proper chain? The bar protrudes 16 inches past the engine face.

Thank you all so much for what you have created here: this has been a great tool! Glen Moore, Seattle WA

• ssewalk1
    7 years ago
    last modified: 7 years ago

Have not seen Bill on the forum for a few yrs . Try his email or ph number he provided / As for fuel oil 50 to 1 is fine , purchase as premium grade synthetic oil Amsoil Sabre is Great . As for the parts try the Chainsawr site for parts . otherwise Ebay ..etc !

• bodeine427
    6 years ago

I got a 1978 Homelite XL automatic oiling chainsaw out of a landfill someone had thrown away back in about 2012. I tried to start it then to no avail so I put it on the shelf for another day. I finally took it apart a few days ago to clean the carb and replace the fuel and oil lines and spark plug and clean the whole saw up nice. It wouldn't start so I checked for spark. No spark so now I'm trying to get the flywheel off via the hammer method and boy is that thing on there! I can't find my puller so I'll probably rent or buy another one to get the flywheel off. I think it is a points style ignition but not sure yet. I also noticed about a 1/4" of play when I turn the flywheel so I'm thinking it needs new needle bearings for the rod and/or maybe a piston wrist pin. Also, the clutch sprocket has some missing needle bearings, it only has 14. I need a new clutch bearing or sprocket with the bearings already installed. Can anyone help with where I might find these parts? Any decent aftermarket coils if that's what ends up being the no spark problem? NOS coils are about $40 and I can't seem to find any rods/rod bearings on eBay. It is UT 105074 and serial 783430212 with the plastic housing.

• ssewalk1
    6 years ago

Bod , try Bill Wallcott who last posted in 2011 , he has left his number previously in this thread . Otherwise at Scott @ the Chainsawr site can most likely fix you up !

• Bailey Schroeder
    2 years ago

Hi i have a homelite super 2 i got it at a auction and i tried pulling it for awhile and it didn't work so I watched YouTube then after i watched YouTube i used starting fluid and i pulled a couple times more and on the last pull white smoke came out and the pull cord didn't retract. So what went wrong?

• ssewalk1
    2 years ago
    last modified: 2 years ago

You almost started the saw , until the return spring gave up the ghost , remove the rewind and inspect the rope you may only need to rewind the weak spring or lubricate the prawls , good luck . Super 2 are clam shell design and fussy to work on but not a bad top handle arborist saw !

• David Mcgill
    2 years ago

Hello all, very helpful forum to read through. I have a question about my XL. UT 105114 ser no 773390059.

Is it a XL12, what cc is it, and how big can I go on b&c size? This little thing just eats now. It leaks like crazy though. I haven't found the source of that issue yet. Is there a common issue I should start with in my search. Thank ya kindly for any info at all.

• ssewalk1
    2 years ago

David the XL-12 is a stout 54 cc class saw . Due to its reed valve fuel system intake it developed quite a bit of torgue for a middle weight saw . The leak you describe is it oil or fuel . Oil leaks are common on these older saws during storage , many have a duckbill style oiler that allows oil from a pressurized tank to flow to the chain . If its fuel leaking then check your fuel lines for cracks especially the crankcase line and tank vent line . Worst case scenerio is that the crankcase gasket has failed from drying out after yrs of non use . Clean it up the best you can , and inspect for the source & origin of the leak . If gasket then the case will need to be split . Only on severe gas leakage situations . P.S. A well tuned Model 12 will pull a full house 24 " 3/8 b & c easily !

• David Mcgill
    2 years ago

Thank you very much. The leak is oil. I found the source finally, it has a puncture in the oil tank. I need to do some more reach on this saw and that fuel system you explained. Then 24" here we come. Hey, again...much appreciated.

• ssewalk1
    2 years ago

No problem David , remember never lug a chainsaw keep it wicked up , the higher rpm allows more air flow over the cylinder fins & also provides more oil for your longer bar . Also I find winter grade oil (thinner) provides better flow and reduces plugging up of the oil system , especially with a longer bar . Keep us posted !

Sponsored
Art Masonry Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars132 Reviews
Loudon County's Hardscape and Landscape Expert in Outdoor Living