Return to the Tool Shed Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Craftsman Snowblower UhhOhh!

Posted by backyard_buddy (My Page) on
Mon, Dec 13, 10 at 21:43

Silly question but concerned none the less... hypothetically speaking of course, if one's curious two year-old was to be helping Dad in the shed, and was to hypothetically - somehow place a 10d nail in one of the interesting nooks in the engine compartment of Dad's snowblower, and Dad heard it fall into... where might one begin to look in hopes of retrieving? How many exposed moving parts? How many removable shields to try to look under before considering a small engine shop. :( Had to ask.... Don't laugh, I still love him!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Craftsman Snowblower UhhOhh!

• Posted by baymee LehighValleyPA (My Page) on
    Tue, Dec 14, 10 at 4:55

It would be a problem if it fell into the engine proper, but if a nail fell into another area of a snowblower, it's probably laying harmlessly on the removable bottom cover, under the transmission.

o

Thanks! I was hoping for that... turned it up on the auger housing and removed the panel - no nail! I'm thinking it might have went in on the left near the throttle controls and such.

o

BY: Unless the Carburetor Housing (Hot Box) was off and the Nail deflected 90 Degrees from Vertical , DON'T SWEAT IT ! lol :) Check further but unless the metal particulate makes into the internal BOWLS of the Engine your Good to Go !!!

o

Sounds like I might be OK then. Nothing was disassembled. Still will be pulling a few more covers/shrouds. I need that closure. Thanks to all!

o

BY: Yeah should be fine Bro , like Bay and I have indicated unless it makes it into the carb venturi all should be fine . Usually the nuts and bolts find their way to the belly pan under the friction disc and chain and sprocket axle assemblies. Check around the Cylinder head Shroud/ Fin area also . Good Luck :)

o

Got a hoist?. If so drain the gas and oil. hoist it up (providing you can and know how to do that safely) turn it upside down, listen for something falling or rattling, and using a rubber mallet clock it to create vibration and it should fall back out.

I'm no fan of FO (Foreign Objects) which may become FOD (Foreign Object Damage)(Don't google or you will never have closure or Fly again!), Nail lodged against a moving part could create havoc, especially if it makes a funny sound when snowblowing. But, if all else fails I would use it instead of scooping, cause I'm not leaving the ground.

o

Note: If you do take it apart--lay the bolts some place away from the internal workings, because those bolts and nuts you remove, have a certain longing to get back to where they belong, and will take any opportunity to jump back inside the engine, or the works, as soon as you turn yuor head!
I saw a young auto mechanic have to buy two new pistons for the car he was fixing, just because he laid the bolts and nuts on the cowl panel, instead of in a box! BT,ST!

o

Just a quick follow-up to all... the FO (nail) was located today! After removing a few protective shrouds, I was pretty baffled - no where for it to go. With it being new unit (purchased last year) it is sealed up pretty tight. I actually passed up an obvious place a curious 2 year old would try to drop something in - - the muffler! Dropped a magnetic probe inside and fished around and - clink! There it was! Hey - thanks to all for your input. Happy Holidays!

o

Good to hear that you "Nailed It".
(Now I'm going to hide in my shed.)

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Tool Shed Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here