Return to the Tool Shed Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
I just bought an older Troy Bilt Horse SN 201114

Posted by marblehead_2009 01970 (My Page) on
Wed, Dec 2, 09 at 22:14

I just purchased an elderly Troy Bilt Horse, which is something that I have always wanted to have. It is not in running condition and it looks pretty sad, but the engine turns over and it seems to have good compression. This unit is a two speed job, and it has two drive belts. The unit is equipped with a Kohler 7 HP K161 engine. The engine SN is 7329148.
I hope someone can give some good hints on how to restore this beast. I would like to take it apart and paint it and get it running.
I am most curious as to when this unit was manufactured. I have downloaded manuals for a tiller that appears identical to this one as well as the manual for the Kohler engine. The Tiller manual was for a Horse I.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: I just bought an older Troy Bilt Horse SN 201114

The Kohler # shows it to be a 1976 build. There are Troy focused web groups out there which may be more helpful. Congrats on your purchase! I know if it were mine I would start by seeing what shape the carb is in and getting it up and running just to get a feel of things.

o

Thanks for the update - my plan of attack will be cleaning or replacing the carburetor, then tracking down a tire! This unit is actually looking better and better, since finding out how old it actually is!

o

There is an excellent Troy Bilt Tiller Club in the Yahoo forums.

o

I've never saw 2 belt with 7 hp engine allway been 4 speed with one belt but I don't know everything about troy bilt horse.

o

The older ones of this vintage have two matched belts-later ones had just one belt. I have a '75 or '76 6hp that I restored this last summer. The carb was the worst part to clean up-it was totally gummed up. The engine only needed new points and a plug to get going again (well, and a new head gasket,too).
The main shaft running from the lower pulley to the tines had very excessive play in the bearings,and I had to get shims to get rid of the play. The front seal needed replacing,too.
Be sure that the gear oil you use in the transmission is compatable with brass gears and bushings.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Tool Shed Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here