Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
blacksmithman

Homemade loader

blacksmithman
16 years ago

Here are some pictures of my loader I made for my 1976 Dayton GT tractor (MTD 990). I still need to make a bucket. It will be a quick disconnect type because I plan on making other attachments for the loader frame. I want to make a grapple to haul branches. I added skid steer tires.

{{gwi:313011}}

{{gwi:313012}}

{{gwi:313013}}

{{gwi:313014}}

Comments (13)

• kentuck_8b
    16 years ago

Nice work! But I have to say that it will turn over with heavy weight and/or blow out your front tires. That's my opinion, but looks like a great job of manufacturing and adapting to the tractor.

Just be careful.

Kt

• blacksmithman
    Original Author
    16 years ago

This tractor was designed to take a loader when it was new. I could not get any information for buying a new model loader so I decided to make my own. My tractor is over 30 years old. Here is an old flyer showing a loader for the tractor.
    {{gwi:313015}}

• kentuck_8b
    16 years ago

Your loader extends farther out than the one in the flyer. I'm not trying to sound pessimistic, just be careful. I still think you did an excellent job of manufacturing, and if you didn't live so far away, I would have to get you to build a loader for my old tractor.

Good Luck

Kt

• gardenhorse
    16 years ago

How do you like the skid steer tires? I was thinking of going that route on my Ariens GT18. I need something with a little better traction that the turf tires, while not tearing up the lawn. The skid steer tires seem like a good compromise between turn and bar tread tires. What brand/model did you end up with?

The loader is way cool... hoping to build one myself this winter if time permits. Would love to see more pictures and get more details.

Thanks.

• blacksmithman
    Original Author
    16 years ago

gardenhorse I purchased the tires from Nebraska tire. The tires are seconds but perfect for a tractor. The cost locally was over $150 each. I have not used it much but I know they will be better than turfs. My tire size is 27 x 10.5 x 15. Does your tractor have 15" rims? Here is the link.
    http://www.nebraskatire.com/industrial.htm

• gardenhorse
    16 years ago

My tractor has 12" rims, with 23x10.5x12 tires stock. A friend of mine had a brand new set of Ag tires in that size sitting in his garage that I grabbed and installed, and I like them a lot. I loaded them with 7 gallons of washer fluid each (about 80% full), and that helped a lot, too. I'll try to get some pics posted soon, but I'm having too much fun pushing dirt around. :)

Thanks again.

• blacksmithman
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Here is a picture of the finished loader. I still have to paint the bucket.
    {{gwi:313016}}
    {{gwi:313017}}
    {{gwi:313019}}

I changed the hand control to a foot control.
    {{gwi:313021}}

• gnodance
    15 years ago

That loader looks great, I'd like to make one like that for my Cub Cadet 127. Any chance you could share some of your fab info? I also want to make a backhoe attachment for my cub.

• d1weber
    15 years ago

There are loader plans available, Did you use one or did you build without?

• dawn11
    14 years ago

I was just given a Dayton 16HP tractor with attachments. I really like the tractor but it is going to need some work. Can anyone tell me where I can get an owners or repair manual or any other information on Dayton tractors?

• monsterfarmking
    14 years ago

you should see my 77 farmking that we did some magor work to.we did the same thing you did but beefed up the front end and put a permco hydro pump munted off of the pulleys under the tractor and put a hydro three point hitch and i would love to send you some pics of it

• paulrk1
    12 years ago
  • gogmoney
    12 years ago

I wanted to say what a nice job you did on that front end loader! I know you posted it on this website awile ago but I was wondering if you maybe had plans on how you went about making it. I have the exact Dayton tractor myself and would love to build my own front end loader for it. It seems impossible to find parts for our tractor. So i thought I would ask you. I hope you get back to me soon. Have a good day.

Sponsored
CHC & Family Developments
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Franklin County, Ohio