Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
rustyj14

Tecumseh electric starters for snow blowers?

rustyj14
13 years ago

As per the question posted above--is there any place i can get new bearings for one of the older Tecumseh electric starters? (house current/snow blower type)

The bearings allow the shaft to pull away from the flywheel gear, with the result it makes a horrible grinding noise, and doesn't spin the flywheel!

I did find a good flywheel in stock, but that starter shaft bearing is bad. And, i don't have another starter in stock, here.

Any ideas? Thanks: Rusty Jones

Comments (18)

• rcmoser
    13 years ago

Rusty, Do google search for small bearings. remove the bearing in guestion and mic the demensions. Post them, maybe some of us can help you out. IF not then the maybe the google search will turn up a company that makes the exact demensions brg. in question?

• rustyj14
    Original Author
    13 years ago

I went to visit the local mower shop that repairs most anything, and they gave me a newer starter motor that will work, but it is missing the gear that spins up the shaft when ya push the start controller.
    Last evening, i tried the old gear, but the spiral threads on the shaft are different.
    So, if it quits snowing, its off to another shop, where i can buy the new gear that will fit the shaft.
    One lament: Those nit-wits that designed the method of holding everything onto the starter shaft, with that infernal hard steel open end ring, should have hog rings affixed to sensitive places, and kept there for a month!
    I spent a half-hour looking for it on the living room rug! Finally found it, before Ruth did with her vacuum sweeper!

• don_1_2006
    13 years ago

Ha Rusty, I know what you are talking about. In the shop where I worked we always called those things "Jesus" clips. We would be working away and hear someone say "Oh Jesus" and then they would be down on their hands and knees searching for it. I had one about the size of a quarter fly off in my garage and I never have found it.

• rustyj14
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Well, i went to my supplier this morning, and got the prices on the starter parts.(2 pieces) $50+tax. WOOOO!
    Anybody have used parts? Older starter parts won't fit the threads on the newer starter i acquired yesterday!
    I need the big gear and the steel washer with the inner spiral gear threads, that spins that gear up to mesh with the flywheel. That washer is shaped like a hat., with inner threads, and maybe 3 holes in the outer flange.
    The starter number is: 33328D
    Evidently, the starter builders have changed all threads to metric, as they are different than the older model like was on the machine.
    If it doesn't snow tomorrow, i'm going out and see if somebody might have those parts locally. Rustyj.

• tomplum
    13 years ago

Here's a parts list if it is helpful for reassembly. Parts are through the roof. Your right in thinking someone somewhere has an old one. A dealer somewhere sold a new starter instead of fixing a plug in...

Here is a link that might be useful: parts list

• ewalk
    13 years ago

Rusty , also your local starter , alternator repair shop may have the bearing replacment you were speaking of . I have repaired numerous rv and snowmobile and snowblower style starters in this manner at very reasonable cost .

• rustyj14
    Original Author
    13 years ago

More on electric starter: I have found that a twelve volt starter for that engine, will bolt up, and the starter gear and bendix will work. Only thing--i will have to install a starter solenoid, cables, and push button, and a battery to make it work.
    A 12 V. motor-cycle battery should have enough power to start it. I can make a battery box to hold it.
    the owner called just now, and i gave him an approximate price for the conversion, and he gasped! So, i may get it as a gift. I told him i thought he'd might as well stick with his Caterpillar tracked snow thrower, since it does run, and he got it cheap enough---a garbage bin "find"! The old one is in good shape--just doesn't start, because of the starter problems. We'll see. I'll keep you posted. RJ

• baymee
    13 years ago

Rusty, have you stated if this starter is a new or old style? I have an old style that is burned up but the rest of it is good.

• rustyj14
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Hold that thought, Baymee! I'm still waiting on the owner, to see if he wants to fix it, or donate it. He works for the Sports Authority, at the sports stadiums, and other venues, and isn't home much right now. Although, he did call, and sort of "gasped" when i told him the problem, and how much i'd have to do to fix it. Like i said, he has a much newer one to use, so there's no hurry. Besides, my garage is too cold right now to do much in it, so i'm getting ready to go away this weekend coming. If the truck will start that morning. S'posed to be very cold then. Sunny here (Pittsburgh, PA.) now, but that is supposed to change on Thursday! And, a lot depends on how Ruth is doing. She sez i can go, but sez it with hesitation. WE'll see. She, nor I, are "spring chickens," so caution is a must!
    Of course, an 86 year old banjo picker will be sitting up nearly all night, just pickin' away on the old banjo with friends! Some of those friends we see only on that weekend, so i must keep in contact with them.
    I'll see how this starter program fleshes out, and inform you all. Rusty Jones
    Baymee: The bad starter is the old style, as used on most all Tecumseh engines, for many years. The newer one, with metric threads, etc. looks like the older style, except the case is shorter, but the mounting brackets and holes do fit on the block mounting position. And, the fact that the shaft threads are metric, and i didn't get the hat-shaped thing that goes on those threads--i'm dead in the water! That thing is what i need--everything else will work. And, according to the parts thing somebody sent--it comes in a kit, and costs, as near as i can figure--around a hundred bucks, or so. MMMMM!

• baymee
    13 years ago

My old starter is from an 8 HP snow king engine painted orange from new. I'm sure the guy burned up the windings but the rest is OK.

I think the engine is at least 20 years old.

• rustyj14
    Original Author
    13 years ago

I am converting a 110 volt electric starter on this infernal snow blower to battery start 12 volt starter. I have to find the proper wiring layout, to work it with a solenoid and push-button on the handle bars. I have everything i need to do it, i just need the wiring hook-up. If anybody can send me that, i'll be eternally grateful! I even have a motorcycle battery for it, too. Just send something simple--i'm not smart enough to follow those hi-falutin' schematics like they have in the instruction sheets that come with a machine. (And, i don't have one i can lay my hand on, at this time.)

• mownie
    13 years ago

I'm hoping this is understandable. Good luck

{{gwi:313544}}

• rustyj14
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks, mownie! It is just what i need to complete the hook-up of the starter, etc.
    I tried to print it, but this printer has a mind of its own, and wanted to print a bunch of printed pages, so i sketched it out by hand. It'll work just fine for me.
    After lunch, i'll go down and warm up the garage, and get to it!
    Rusty J.

• mownie
    13 years ago

rustyj, sketching it will work well for this kind of stuff.
    Sketching, drawing, scratching, whatever you want to call it....., is a good way to learn and remember things because the process ties together several different areas/regions of the brain. Anyhow, your sketch will do just fine.

• rustyj14
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Mownie: Went down to garage and all of my heaters are setting there, with their tongues hanging out, and refuse to make heat! RJ!

• mownie
    13 years ago

Could it be so cold that their heat just ain't making a dent in the chill? BRRR!

• rustyj14
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Well, it warmed up, but i had to get the truck starter "Bendix" changed, and that took up most of the morning.. now, i must go to the bank and withdraw some cash, as i spent some for the bluegrass weekend, last. And the rest for the starter repairs! Never done spending money!
    RJ

• mownie
    13 years ago

***"Never done spending money!"***
    Ain't it the truth, ain't it the truth?

Sponsored