Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
donaldb_gw

John Deere vs Cub Cadet

donaldb
13 years ago

After spending many hours looking at reviews on lawn tractors I still find myself totally confused. I'm trying to decide between a JD D110 or a Cub LTX1040. Lots of bad reviews on Cub Cadet in general and I realize that what I'm looking at are the 2011 models so user reviews are scarce. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

Comments (19)

• javert
    13 years ago

This is sort of a Chevy-vs-Ford question, but not exactly.

A quick internet search tells me that the Cadet has a 19.5-HP Kohler, the Deere has a 19.5-HP B&S. These are, I believe, those manufacturers' lower-end engines. I'd call it a wash.

The Deere has a hydro transmission, while the Cadet has a CVT automatic transmission. Plus for the Deere.

The Cadet is manufactured by MTD, the Deere by John Deere. Plus for the Deere.

As a general rule, there are no significant changes from model year to model year. What you've read about 2010 (and earlier) versions of these two lawn tractors will probably continue with the 2011's.

This is just one guy's opinion (and I don't own either of these machines): I'd go with the Deere. Most important: DO YOUR ROUTINE MAINTENANCE!

• goblin127
    13 years ago

I thought the low end Deere was not made by Deere?

• User
    13 years ago

Both are entry level LTs designed to a tight price point and marketed primarily by box stores.

With the JD a local dealer is doing the setup and warranty work for the Home Depot or Lowes customer and I assume the same for the CC. There is no CC dealer around here so I wonder what the HD/Lowes customers who buy CCs do for warranty repair.

The CVT trans in the CC is far less desirable than the hydrostatic in the JD. Both engines are entry level consumer grade so that's a wash.

The JD will have better resale when you want a bigger ride down the road... as we are all apt to want.

From a consumer's point of view I'd shop the local JD dealer for the JD D110 cause you'll pay the same price from the dealer as from Home Depot or Lowes (unless the box store is running a promo).

Check around and if the JD dealer has a good reputation for customer service then that's your best choice.

• User
    13 years ago

I understand that the JD L series is built (assembled) by JD in a southern US factory that is a shared facility with other L&G OEMs.

While the L series is not built at the big JD factory up north with their GTs and their big dogs it is built (assembled) on a JD production line and not subcontracted out to another company.

You can look at the number plate on any JD and it will say where it was built.

• donaldb
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thank you for all your help. Going to go for the JD D120.
    Now if this white stuff would only stop falling. After this storm we will have somwhere in the vicinity of 6' to 7' on the ground and it's onlky February 1st. Won't have to worry about any lawn watering restrictions this summer.

• User
    13 years ago

There's more coming... soon as we're done with it we'll send it along.

• milacqua
    13 years ago

You know, I had this exact same dilemma a couple months ago. I really, really wanted a John Deere but was thinking of Cub Cadet as well. I've had other tractors such as Sears and Yard Man and because I took pretty good care of them they worked just fine. But, I just wanted a Deere and pretty much blew off the Cub. Then I started looking at the Sears Pro 42" (model 28980) and began to compare all the specs. They don't tell the whole story of course but you can get a good idea what you are getting from them anyway. The Pro is a little cheaper than the 120 Deere right now (although it is on close-out sale as a 2010 model until Feb. 10). The regular price of the Pro is $2490 so the close out sale shows a considerable saving. Buy on-line with your Discover card and get an extra 5% back. I think Sears has free shipping right to your door for a limited time too.

The Deere is 21hp and a single cylinder. The Pro is a 24hp twin and is the best of the B&S motors (I think it is their commercial motor). Since they are both B&S, I would go with the twin every day of the week. Although both are 42" cut, the Deere weighs 452lbs while the Pro weighs 594lbs. The Pro has electric assisted PTO, the Deere is manual. Turning radius for the Pro is 12" while the Deere is 18" and that is significant if you have to mow around a lot of stuff in the yard. Both have the same size wheels, cruise control, almost the same gas tank capacity with the Pro holding a half gal. more, cast iron front axle, wash port, both can be made into mulchers, etc. One feature in addition is that the Pro comes standard with a detachable bumper brush guard. There are other minor differences as well and most are in favor of the Pro.

So, despite the fact that I know the Deere would have done me well and I would have had pride in riding one, I just felt the Pro offered more, much more. Although I have not had a chance to cut grass with it, I have run it around a bit and it is very substantial and good handling, not to mention it is as comfortable as a car. The warranty is about the same between the two and perhaps Deere mechanics are better and will service their equipment a little more precisely if you ever have to take it in (although I'm not sure about who works on them if you buy it from a box store instead of the Deere dealer). In any event, unless you have your heart set on a Deere, it might be worth your while to at least take a look at the Pro. You might be surprised at what you find.

• User
    13 years ago

With the possible exception of the Craftsman Professional Premium @ $6k which is a Simplicity clone (and I'm not sure of the exact engine in that one) there is no Sears L&G tractor that comes with a commercial grade engine today.

Comparing Sears warranty service to JD is an apple and oranges comparison... call Sears and we'll have someone out there in a couple weeks... they'll diagnose the problem and if they need parts they'll order them and you'll receive them in a couple weeks, then we schedule to come back in a couple weeks and install them and hope that solves the problem.

John Deere warranty service... call the dealer... they come and get it (at a cost to you) or you take it to them. They diagnose and make the repair or order parts that arrive in 2-3 days and make the repair.

I was a Sears fan till I put down $4k plus for their top GT with blower and took it home. Couldn't load it on the trailer to take it back fast enough. Poor engineering, poor quality, poor QC, and uber cost cutting in every nook and cranny. A garden tractor class unit should have adjustable steering links... look for them on any Sears tractor. Drive that Sears on a flat level road and see if the steering wheel is lined up correctly when going straight.

You get what you pay for... and the bitterness of poor quality lingers long after the sweetness of low price is gone.

• doberman_2007
    13 years ago

My dealer comes to me and repairs the tractor at no charge
    under warranty.The hydraulic lines were all rubbing on the frame I decided to repair it myself,a 2 week wait at the dealer..The replacement hose had a guard on it and rerouted the hoses. To spend 6 large on a tractor , it takes some consideration,warranty ,DEERE,service,DEERE, would I buy another one absolutely. The thing is everything breaks it just matters how fast...

• milacqua
    13 years ago

You might be right about the motor, justalurker, depending on the true definition of "commercial grade" but I was just going by what was said at this tractor review site: http://todaysmower.com/2010/22010-craftsman-professional-yard/

The reviewer said, "The Craftsman Professional has a commercial grade Briggs & Stratton ELS motor". I have no idea what an "ELS" is or whether or not he used the term "commercial grade" loosely or really meant it. ELS might mean "extra life series" or something like that and the reviewer just assumed it was "commercial" grade. In any event, he believes it is the B&S top of the line motor and goes on to say in another model review that the ELS may be the finest motor put in a lawn tractor today by anyone. Motor names like Vanguard, Pro, Command, ELS, Intek, Diamond, etc. are confusing and unless someone really studies all these carefully you never know what the differences are and what they really mean.

• User
    13 years ago

In this instance, what a reviewer says can be taken with a bushel of grass clippings. I guess for those who buy their L&G tractors online then the true oracle is a faceless virtual reviewer.

Easy enough to determine where any product fits in any line by any company. To know you seek out commercial equipment that isn't sold at box stores and see what engines are in them.

The B&S Vanguard, Kohler Command, And Kawasaki F series engines are commonly found in high dollar commercial equipment and and have built themselves a solid reputation in the field.

Briggs Intek and ELS, Kohler Courage and Courage Pro are uniquely found in entry level, price sensitive mass produced comsumer products and often first in Sears stuff then in MTD, Troy-Bilt, and CC at the box stores.

Milaqua,

I followed your original thread and hope that the choice you made works out to be everything you hope. The Sears stuff has its place in the market like everything else as long as the consumer understands exactly what they are getting and not getting. Everyone has the right to spend their money as they see fit.

• milacqua
    13 years ago

Thanks, I hope it works out too. It will be another month and a half before I can use it, even here in Texas. The most work I've done with it so far is trailer a load of fire wood from my pile to the garage. The Pro seems like a really nice machine and since my yard is level and I do no snow plowing or garden attachment work, it should do me just fine. We shall see.

• tombranumsenior_gmail_com
    12 years ago

After owning two excellent John Deere mowers over a period of more than two decades, a 212 model and a 317, I bought a Cub Cadet LT1050 near the end of the 2009 mowing season. I bought it to get a bigger engine and a wider mowing deck. It has been trouble and makes me wish I had stayed with John Deeres.
    At first it was small things: difficult to steer, grass clippings accumulate inside the pulley shields, the water hose connection for cleaning under the deck is worthless.
    Then the Home Depot where I bought it did not carry the replacement mowing deck drive belt because my 2 1/2 year old mower is "too old."
    Now I have a major problem: the pot metal deck spindle on the right side broke and tore loose from the deck, thereby splitting the bolt holes in the deck.
    Now I wish I had spent a few extra bucks and bought another Deere.

• doberman_2007
    12 years ago

My friend bought a Cub Cadet and and spent 4k , 42 inch deck on a garden tractor , the deck is too small for the mower you must mow in a overlap more so than a larger deck. I didnt care for it ,looked it over close not me. He went on to tell me a 50 inch deck was 200 more go figure. If you spend that much why not get a proper deck.

• User
    12 years ago

Sometimes a proper deck won't fit through the gate ;)

• Horace1962
    12 years ago

There is no comparison between the two. After owning deere in the past, I went to Home Depot to buy a 140, out of stock. They did have a Cub Cadet LXT 1050h and I made a long drive, it's a good name brand so I bought it. Less than one hour on the tractor and hit a stump. My mower deck is destroyed, 2 broken hubs, 2 bent blades and the deck was badly disformed where the spindles mount. searching for parts I found that it is a MTD mower. There is no doubt in mind that a Deere would have restarted and continued to mow. My plan is to repair and take the loss on a trade in.

• Wald0
    10 years ago

I have worked at a lawn mower shop for several years. We've sold both cub cadet and John Deere. This is what I can tell you.

John deere's quality has had a big drop, just like everything nowadays. one of the best mowers you can buy for the money is a cub cadet ltx 1042kw. It has a good Kawasaki engine and hydrostatic drive. If you get it from a dealer and not farm supply etc. you get a free front bumper to protect your hood when it's on the trailer or just mowing. Hoods can get over 500 dollars. John Deere about 5 years ago, was the brand I would recommend. But, now I'm afraid nothing runs like a cub. If you can spend more money on a mower, I would recommend a zforce s 48 inch. It is a true zero turn with a steering wheel. The front wheels turn like a normal mower, and the back ones spin like a stick zero turn. Just driving it is very convincing, it is very agile. It runs so smooth and is very nice to ride with the pivoting front axle. How many yards are flat like the floor of a showroom. Just my opinions of driving and working on both of them, hope I helped.

Oh, if you mow several yards or a lot of land, check out the commercial line, the highest quality you can get besides a hustler. But without the 10000 dollar price tag.

• Wald0
    10 years ago

I have worked at a lawn mower shop for several years. We've sold both cub cadet and John Deere. This is what I can tell you.

John deere's quality has had a big drop, just like everything nowadays. one of the best mowers you can buy for the money is a cub cadet ltx 1042kw. It has a good Kawasaki engine and hydrostatic drive. If you get it from a dealer and not farm supply etc. you get a free front bumper to protect your hood when it's on the trailer or just mowing. Hoods can get over 500 dollars. John Deere about 5 years ago, was the brand I would recommend. But, now I'm afraid nothing runs like a cub. If you can spend more money on a mower, I would recommend a zforce s 48 inch. It is a true zero turn with a steering wheel. The front wheels turn like a normal mower, and the back ones spin like a stick zero turn. Just driving it is very convincing, it is very agile. It runs so smooth and is very nice to ride with the pivoting front axle. How many yards are flat like the floor of a showroom. Just my opinions of driving and working on both of them, hope I helped.

Oh, if you mow several yards or a lot of land, check out the commercial line, the highest quality you can get besides a hustler. But without the 10000 dollar price tag.