Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
royex

Briggs & Stratton 12.5 hp starter gear

royex
9 years ago

Hello Everyone - Happy New Year!

I am a newbie to this group.

I am trying to solve a issue with my simplicity 5212.5 tractor. Last July my starter gear broke so I replaced the entire starter (since it was 25 years old). It ran fine till November. Since then, I have gone thru 4 starter gears (one with the original starter).

Here is what happens - as I crank the engine the starter gear engages the ring gear and the engine goes to start but stops as the starter gear gets wedged into the ring gear and it breaks. I measured the two starters and they look the same height. The teeth on the ring gear look ok but the top of the ring gear is getting beat up from the overdriven starter gear. (see attached picture).

Any suggestions on what i should look at.

Thanks

Chalrie

Comments (10)

• tomplum
    9 years ago

I agree, it looks as through the gear is coming up too high. We need numbers. Model, type and all part numbers used to start. Looks to be an OPTW.

• royex
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Engine: 404707 0122 01 87040812

Starter part # is 394808 which I replaced with aftermarket part # SBS0008

OPTW - ? not sure what this means

Thanks

• tomplum
    9 years ago

OPTW = Opposed twin. 497596 is the new starter number. Briggs starters on these have come down on price and worth a look. You didn't say what the replacement drive /gear part #s you installed were. My best guess is the starter is not as exact as it should be. Grab the flywheel and see if you note lots of end play / looseness which could allow the flywheel to rest lower than it should. This is a reach for sure, but it isn't worth beating a dead horse. Inspect the teeth all the way around as well. My opinion on aftermarket starter drives on these are that they don't work out. So an OEM starter would be best. An OEM starter drive on the old new starter may be second best. Milling the bracket down on the bottom side to get a proper fit on the starter may allow you to use what you have.

• royex
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I replaced the starter gear with 150292. The price I saw for B&S starter at Jacks is $85. Wondering if I can rebuilt the starter using 696540 (attached is picture of the parts in the rebuild kit). I will have to check out the flywheel this weekend when it warms up a bit.

Can you recommend a source to order parts? - I have been using Jacks Small Engines

• royex
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I replaced the starter gear with 150292. The price I saw for B&S starter at Jacks is $85. Wondering if I can rebuilt the starter using 696540 (attached is picture of the parts in the rebuild kit). I will have to check out the flywheel this weekend when it warms up a bit.

Can you recommend a source to order parts? - I have been using Jacks Small Engines

{{gwi:2121003}}

• walt2002
    9 years ago

Well don't know why you replaced the starter just because it was old. I think you are using the wrong starter gear for the ring gear. My experience has been that OEM starter gears are much better than aftermarket.

Walt Conner

• tomplum
    9 years ago

You may be able to get away with an OEM starter gear, provided you aren't launching the starter to the top of the gear. The OEM gear is PN 695708 or 5086H if you look at the bubble packs at Home Depot. Your friendly Briggs dealer will gladly sell you one and not charge you freight.

• royex
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I checked the ring gear for up & down movement - there is no play. I did notice the top of the gear chewed up in couple of other places. I will try to rebuild the top of the starter using 696540 to see if it works as the nylon drive on my starter has a couple of ridges that may interfere with the gear retracting.

Regarding aftermarket gears, the last two that broke were from the local dealer and they were OEM which is why I am at loss on everything ran fine from July to November with the aftermarket starter and all of sudden I started having issues with the starter gear getting jammed too high on the ring gear.

Related question to this - as I have been turing the ring gear by hand to diagnose this - does it matter when I reassemble everything to index the ring gear to a certain location before I crank the engine?

Thanks,

Charlie

• walt2002
    9 years ago

"does it matter when I reassemble everything to index the ring gear to a certain location before I crank the engine?"

No.

Walt Conner

• tomplum
    9 years ago

I believe the 696541 is what will fit your replacement starter. That number has changed too actually I think. The 540 was for the original that came on your engine possibly. Since then, that starter was discontinued and the drive was retained w/ hog ring. the starter gear itself is directional , but the instructions will be in the kit. It sounds like a wise move to replace the kit. Just be sure that it travels the proper amount into the ring gear.

Sponsored
Dave Fox Design Build Remodelers
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars49 Reviews
Columbus Area's Luxury Design Build Firm | 17x Best of Houzz Winner!