Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
cowgirlrose55

Does anyone else have this problem?

cowgirlrose55
9 years ago

I have a Craftsman riding mower that the manual clutch cable that engages the blades, keeps breaking. I've had 3 break in four years and I'm tired of it.

Does anyone know of a way to bypass the lever on the hood (which also eliminates the need for the clutch cable that keeps breaking) and put some kind of "something" directly onto the place that engages the blades on the deck, maybe something mounted on the deck with a lever or ????............something that wouldn't be breaking all the time?

Or have any ideas how to make this stop?

Comments (10)

• User
    9 years ago

Is the cable breaking at an end or in the middle?

• rustyj14
    9 years ago

Allowing a machine to sit outside in the weather, especially if there isn't any type of "hood" to keep the rain and snow out of the works, is asking for trouble! Normally, a lawn mower has some way to keep the moisture out of the important parts, like a "hood", or something like that, but they aren't designed to set outside in rain and snow. Eventually, it will "gum up" the works. Usually, the magnets on the flywheel will rust, rust will seep into the layers of the ignition coil or the coil legs, and that "fixes" the whole mess for replacement. Those magneto coils aren't cheap! A good tarp to cover the machine when not in use, is priceless! Or stuff it into the garage, or the parlor, if yer wife is easy-going. RJ

• rustyj14
    9 years ago

Another thing: If you have some mechanical ability, and know how to use mechanics tools, you can usually do some things to maybe get 'er going again. If you find the coil legs and flywheel magnets are rusty, you can clean them up with SAND-PAPER, not steel wool! Keep that stuff away from the engine! You may have to temporarily remove the coil, to get thee rust cleaned off of it. After everything is shiny again, when you go to "gap" the coil setting, Leave the coil bolts loose enough to move the coil a bit. Then, slide a business card down into the gap between the fly magnet legs and the fly magnets, Carefully slide the coil intoward the flywheel magnets, tighten the bolts, turn the flywheel and the card will slide out. Careful--do not break those skinny bolts off! The broken ends are tough to get out, you will lose yer religion, and yer wife will be setting a cake of Ivory on yer plate at supper time! And, at least cover the engine area with something that water can't leak thru! by: Rusty Jones

• Rusty Webb
    3 years ago

I have the same damn problem on an older craftsman riding mower, cable is ok for a mow or two and then snaps. If anyone knows of a better quality built cable than the generic one on Amazon I would love to know where I can buy it, thx

• Francis Mitchell
    2 years ago

This kind of breaks happened to my lawnmower at least 3 times. It is a pain to remove and install a new cable. I kind of solved the problem. First the spring must be cleaned often. Second I wrapped around the extremity of the cable (at the spring) with electrical tape. This creates a damper effect of the vibration. With the tapes the ball end of the cable does not rest on the spring but on the tapes that dampened the vibration. Since I did this fix no more breakages. Drive your lawnmower easy, no bumps on trees or tree roots. Lastly, adjust the front height of the mower hood by raising it with the adjustable bolt. By doing this the hood will less likely gets snagged on low obstacles.

• HU-218590490
    last year

Ive got a problem with my clutch cable too. i have to replace but it seems the exposed cable wire is too short to reach from the keeper to the pin for the engagement lever. 3rd cable, 2 from amazon and one from craftsman. CraftCraftsman model T2200 riding mower.

• Walter Hynson
    last year

Heres what I am doing I removed my deck , you need a rubber bungie strap ,2 eyebolts with locknuts and washers, now with the dek off of the mower remove the blade break spring, next ensure the blade belt control lever swings freely,now insert one end of the bungie strap into the hole on the blade control lever(where the pto spring goes) now stretching the bungie cord (yes the blade control lever will engage) find a path clear of any moving belts ,pullys ect to the outside of the deck . Now find a flat spot and drill a hole for one of the eyebolts and install the eyebolt,now remove the S hook from the bungie cord and push the bungie cord through the eyebolt(again ensure that you have a clear path nothing will touch the bungie strap when the blades are turning) now find a spot on the foot rest (clear under and on top ) install the other eyebolt. now put the s hook back on the free end of the bungie cord and install the blade brake spring. Now if you hook the bungie cord to the eyebolt on the footrest the blades should activate and when you unhook the bungie cord the blade brake will engage stopping the blades.

• Costella
    10 months ago

I had that problem so I decided to pull the deck out when I did I noticed that cotte rpin was missing from the rod that holds deck up in the back and the brace was stuck on the . Allowed the to move up and down but you hit something the deck would drop and the cable would break. Check the deck.

• G
    14 days ago

Piece .

Sponsored