Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
valandlover

Thoughts on a good lawn tractor.

VAlandlover
9 years ago

This appears to be a site of knowledgeable folks with common sense suggestions so I am asking for thoughts on purchasing a new lawn tractor vs. fixing my old one. I have a DJ LT155 that I have been very happy with. It has been a work horse for 14 years, Other than the routine maintenance (oil, belt, blade changes), I have only had to replace parts on the steering and transmission fan. Not a surprise since I have many obstacles to go around. It is now to the point where I will have to replace both rear tires @ $70 each and the battery. The transmission has been slowing down and the engine uses oil. I can live with the oil usage and it may be that the only issue with the tranny is that the belt needs adjusting (or can it be rebuilt?). Some steering parts again need replacing along with the blades. I have been looking at new mowers and was leaning toward the JD X300 but found out it has the K46 tranny. I am concerned about it lasting. My other choice was the Cub Cadet XT2 (same issue). If repairing my old mower is out of the question, what mower would make a good substitute? I don't want a Briggs and Stratton engine and want to avoid the K46. Trying to keep the price under $2500. In my mind, the LT155 will be hard to live up to.

Comments (10)

• sswinehart
    9 years ago

If your budget is $2500, I'd look at a used garden tractor in good condition. To avoid the K46 transmission, you'll have to get a garden tractor or "GT" version.

Finding a good used garden tractor can be problematic depending upon where you live. If you live the Midwest - there are lots available, but if you live where I do in the western US - they are hard to find. So you're kind of at the mercy of regional availability.

Do a Craigslist and Internet search for John Deere GT (to get the most responses), and you also might want to look for a used John Deere 500 series.

In the $2500 price range you're stuck with "lawn tractors" if you want a new unit. You have to get into the $5K+ range to get a new garden tractor.

• leafeanator
    9 years ago

I have had my X300 for 5 years now. No problems whatsoever. At 50 hours I drained the K46 and put in 5W50 Synthetic. I used to have a hilly yard with lots of trees and plowed a 300 foot driveway in Ohio for the first 4 years. I also pulled a cart, plug aerator and Cyclone rake. I now have 200 hours on it and moved to TN and have only 1 flat acre now. The K46 has shown NO slow down or any problems. Contrary to what JD says it is serviceable - search for "K46 repair guide with pictures" which has ALL the info about service and repairs to the K46. The X300 is a good LT for under $3K. You didn't say what your intended use is which would help us with your decision.

This post was edited by leafeanator on Fri, Jan 16, 15 at 6:35

• User
    9 years ago

While it may seem that the K46 is a problem(?) transaxle the reality is that a very small percentage of people have problems and they are usually asking their lawn tractor to do the job of a garden tractor.

Leafenator's experience is more typical of a K46 owner and very few people pull the trans and change the oil.

If you've gotten 15 years of service from your LT155 then an X300 might go 30 years with the same maintenance. The X300 has the same frame and steering as the X500 and the Kawasaki twin engines are as reliable as cinder blocks as long as you do the required maintenance.

If you look around you might find a clean used X300 that has warranty left on it... check at your local JD dealer.

• jimmy56_gw (zone 6 PA)
    9 years ago

Look for a used JD 425, Can't go wrong in that price range for this GT mower, But it might be more then you need.

• User
    9 years ago

I can't see buying a GT blind from eBay and then hoping it actually shows up and is remotely accurately described.

JD425 is WAY more tractor than the OP wants or needs and if that JD425 has the plastic cam gear better have deep pockets unless you can do the repair yourself... and the parts aren't cheap.

• tex599
    9 years ago

Just bought an x300, Deere is running a special right now thru March 1st of $500 off any X series tractor. I am not concerned with the k46 as I bought it to mow a little over an acre. it's hard to find a lawn tractor for $2,500 that has the same build quality, warranty that the x300 has.

• leafeanator
    9 years ago

Welcome to the X group, just keep the trans clean and do not overwork it and you will have a great tractor for years to come.

• jimmy56_gw (zone 6 PA)
    9 years ago

If your looking at the JD x3 series then the 4x series isn't that much bigger but it is a lot more machine and a great mowing machine which will out last the x3 series do to the fact it is liquid cooled, An if you look for the right year it won't have the plastic cam gear, Look on ebay or craigslist it will give you ideas of price range.

• krnuttle
    9 years ago

I think there is a more basic question that you must answer. Since JD always have a good supply of parts, it is probably going to be cheapest to continue to keep the LT-155 going, as it means you will be paying probably less that 100 per year for parts. Probably more when you replace the parts you have identified.

I think the basic question you have answer is "Has the new Tractor bug bitten you". If so it is going to take a lot of discussion to keep the LT-155. If it has not, then the answer is obvious.

My LT-155 is about the same age, and condition. I replaced the blades a couple of season ago and the tires look like they are going to last several more years.

The major concern, as with your, is the I get a little smoke when the tractor first starts or idles. When it is in the run position there never is smoke.

So I have made the decision to wait until I have to do something about the motor and then either repair or replace the motor; or the tractor its self.

A new 300 would be temping but I don't think I can get it past my wife with no more support from the tractor.

Thinking about it the most basic question is convincing you wife not whether you want a new tractor

Sponsored
Peabody Landscape Group
Average rating: 3.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Franklin County's Reliable Landscape Design & Contracting