Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
rustyj14

Scotts Garden tractor?

rustyj14
12 years ago

I am negotiating on a Scotts Garden type tractor. Here's the scoop:

For the past 5 years or so, it has been kept in a well built garage, with the door closed tightly, but no other effort to preserve it.

3 years ago, i checked it over for the man, and we tried to make it run, using a jumper battery and other tools, but didn't have any success, as the owner didn't want to spend any cash on it. (An odd bunch, ya might say.)

Fast forward to now! I see that tractor setting outside of the garage, no cover over it, rain falls mainly into the ignition and whatever. A friend lives near it, and he's going to make an offer on it. I know the owner will never spend any cash on it, so if i can get it home, i can experiment on it and hope it is repairable.

This tractor is built way better than anything available in its class, is why i want to get it. I think it might be 15 years of age +/-.

I need to know if there is any place i can get info on it, in the internet. Any help will be greatly welcome! Thanks: Rustyj14

Comments (11)

• User
    12 years ago

Is this your Scotts garden tractor?

{{gwi:313804}}

• rustyj14
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Well, my friend sez he didn't get up close to it because of the snow and high weeds. But-he'll come over tomorrow and look at yer picture, and say what he remembers about it. Snow too deep for a fur-piece vision of it. THANks.

• rustyj14
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Well, my friend sez the picture looks like the one i told about. But, no mowing deck, but it has a snow plow, and some other attachments that i can't remember right now. Don't know about wheel weights, etc.
    The owner just wrecked his car by hitting a tree, on his way to work. He and his wife, as described by his neighbors, are dumber than a hoe handle about preserving mechanical stuff. But, the well to do father-in-law will no doubt bail them out again. When i get the phone number, i'll call about the tractor. Might get it for a song! Might not, too. RJ

• User
    12 years ago

That series was built by Murray for Home Depot under the Scotts name mid 90's like 1995. IIRC there were three models... a small deck, a 42" deck and the one in the pic is a 50" deck. Pretty much all the parts are available under Murray parts #s.

There were all LAWN tractors and had Peerless VST trans axles.

A few years later John Deere got the Scotts contract with HD and they were building the Scotts stuff.

• mownie
    12 years ago

rustyj, if you can't get it for a song, tell him you will throw in a couple of tunes on your banjo. That oughta do it. :^)

• rustyj14
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Well, I'm making progress on it, but haven't talked to the owner yet. Maybe today. hopefully.
    Also, several days ago, a feller stopped in and asked me to look at his Cub Cadet tractor. He sez i worked on it way back last spring.
    So, today, with the temps in the low 60's, i took some tools and went to see it. Oh my G----there it sat, all covered with dead leaves, dirt, branches, the air filter on the step, the battery almost dead, and its tongue lolling almost on the floor! I finally got it to run half-heartedly, but it soon gave up, and so did I! I'll have to take it home for lots of work on it. Also, his year old 2-stage snow thrower, self-propelled and all, is sitting there in the same condition! Makes ya wonder about some folks priorities. TSK, TSk, TSK!

• rustyj14
    Original Author
    12 years ago

I heard from the cub cadet owner. I told him we couldn't get it to run long enough to get it out of where it is setting. Next move is in his corner. Ground too muddy for us old geeks to push it out to the paved drive.
    I got the info on the Scotts. Haven't called the owner yet. Probably this evening. RJ

• rustyj14
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Haven't been able to contact tractor owner. His wife found the oil was low in the car engine, so, not having any motor oil, she dumped in a quart of brake fluid! UGH!
    Not to worry-its the same car her hubby totalled on the tree! :o(

• tomplum
    12 years ago

Yikes Rusty. Start running the other direction. You know things happen in threes!

• homegrown55
    12 years ago

Danggit....where do ya'll find these people at? Are they everywhere or just up north? Brake fluid.....BRILLIANT!

• rustyj14
    Original Author
    12 years ago

I talked to their neighbor today. He said the husband heard a banging noise when he first started it, to go to work. Being the "brain" he is, he said he thought a branch had fallen on the roof of the car, so he just drove out from under it! (BLBLBLBLBBBB!) The car was a good running gift from the FIL, when they got it. Not now.
    As for the tractor, i'm not jumping in on it without some more checking of it. It has been outside, not covered for 2 months. Buyer beware!

Sponsored
Davidson Builders
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Franklin County's Full-Scale General Contractor