Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mowerharald

Johnny bucket and snowplow use

mowerharald
17 years ago

I have a Johnny Bucket Jr on my GT5000. It works for snow removal, but a real plow/dozer blade would work much better because it can be angled to the side. The JBJr only pushes snow straight ahead and this causes snow to spill out both sides after pushing any distance. Normally this wouldn't be a huge problem because I could just push snow to the side continually before it starts spilling out both sides. My problem is that I have to plow a very steep hill and if I push snow to one side as I go downhill with the JBJr, I'll get stuck not being able to backup. Obviously a plow blade would work much better.

So my question is for anyone that has a JBJr and also uses a plow. How difficult is it to adapt a plow blade to the JBJr mount? I'd rather not have to undo the JBJr mount everytime I wanted to plow and vice versa.

Comments (13)

• wheelhorse_of_course
    17 years ago

JB sells a plow that fits their mount. I have seen it for sale on ebay.

Seems like that would be the best solution.

BTW, some snow plows attach all the way back on the rear axle. This give better steering ability. Obviously the JB plow does not, but given the need to switch back and forth the JB would be the way for you to go.

How do you like the JBjr"? I wish I could find one used!

Have fun.

Here is a link that might be useful: Johnny Plow Jr

• mowerharald
    Original Author
    17 years ago

I didn't even think to look at the Johnny products site for a plow. Looks like a nice setup, but $500 is a little steep for a plow that'll see limited use here in WA.

I love the JBJr for what I use it for: moving dirt/gravel/bark and the occasional tree. I have a trailer, but the bucket works great for moving other supplies around. I've had no problems with it. It works for snow removal also, which was the final justification I needed to convince the "Boss" that I needed one. I returned a new dozer blade to Sears when I bought the JBJr, telling the wife that for only a little more than the dozer blade I'll get a much more versatile attachment. It might be hard to now tell her I need a plow after all.

• wheelhorse_of_course
    17 years ago

Yes, understood.

Maybe you could make the first pass all the way down with the bucket in the up position? Then take much smaller passes at the rest?

Or maybe mount a piece of plywood to the front of the Johnny bucket with permanent angle?

I justified the plow *and* the tractor because of the plow. But then again they only cost me $225 so I was able to sneak it through with out advance approval.

But the $600+ for a Johnny bucket is a problem. I am thinking about trying to make something like the superior scoop (see link). I wish they had a 36" manual release model that was a lot cheaper. At $600 a Johnny Bucket would be a better choice.

But this seems a lot easier to fabricate versus a full bucket (e.g a home made Johnny Bucket). In fact the sides could even be plywood. So, we'll see.

The other winter project is a universal 3 point hitch made from a lift hitch. This is despite the fact it looks like all of the forseable implements will be Brinly hitch. If the three point works out I may have to sell it.

Here is a link that might be useful:

• machiem
    17 years ago

I wouldn't buy a snowplow if you live in Tacoma, WA.

You'll only use it about once every 10 years or so, at least on snow.

• mowerharald
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Machiem,

I don't know where in WA you live (I'm on a hill closer to Bonney Lake than Tacoma), but I've had snow every year and often multiple times. For people living on a main road or in a subdivision, this might not be a problem. I live on a 1/4 mile private road that's a 17% grade. If I hadn't plowed my road last week, it would have been 2 weeks without garbage service or paper delivery or package delivery. I have a 4x4 truck, but no one else can drive up the hill when it snows even an inch. And because it's heavily treed, there's no sun to melt snow when it does warm up some. So getting snow off the road is a desireable thing.

• wheelhorse_of_course
    17 years ago

Uh...

Maybe find a used plow for the 4x4? Or do you plow the road with that and the driveway with the GT?

• mtnarcher
    17 years ago

Mowerharald,

can you actually dig a hole in dirt very well with that Johny bucket? or is it more for scooping up loose material? I looked it up on their website and it looks awesome, the sears scoop looks like just a scoop.

Thanks!

Scott

• lb59
    17 years ago

Forget a snow plow just get a front blade that can be used year round.

• imazman
    17 years ago

I used a front snow plow on an old Sears Craftman tractor for 4 years, this year I tried out my fathers snow blower. The snow blower gets the job done in no time at all...but it's not as fun! I now have a new GT5000 tractor and need to make a decision to buy a snow plow or a snow blower. I'm going with the snow plow, I will be spending less money to have for more fun :) I also used the snow plow to grade top soil over my yard.

• curtludwig
    17 years ago

Imazman, I've got a '64 Cub Cadet model 70 with a snow plow and its an absolute blast! I was concerned that it wouldn't be able to deal with deep snow but I've found by lifting the plow just as I hit the pile (in high gear no less) I can make snow piles 4' high! Of course my machine is a heavy old bugger and its got wheel weights too. I'd still like more weight, a weight box for the 3pt hitch is in the works.

We've got a snowblower too, its handy for going around the garage where the plow is a bit too wide and my wife likes it so we team up to move the snow.
    In 3-4" snows the plow is MUCH faster than the snowblower. When the snow is deep, 8" or more the snowblower gets the edge because it only needs to make one pass although that pass is narrower.

• deerslayer
    17 years ago

I agree with several of the other posters. Blading snow is fun and faster than blowing IF the snow is under 6" and you have a place to pile the snow. 3" to 4" of fluffy snow is the most fun to blade. About 8" is the maximum.

Snowblowers are much better when the snow is deep or if you have many heavy snowfalls per season because you can run out of places to pile the snow with a blade.

Below is a picture of my set up. The snow was very wet that day. You can see that the snow the blade didn't get melted then froze on the driveway. The sun melted the ice over a few days.

-Deerslayer

{{gwi:118564}}

• gbinmd
    16 years ago

Good luck getting a Johnny Bucket! I have a Simplicity Conquest 4WD w/ Power Steering. Johnny Products makes a JBjr for the 2WD Conquest but not for the 4WD. I was told "If I had 10 people in line with their wallets open I could build you a unit". The Johnny Bucket Website (controlled of course) is just glowing with testimonials. But in my opinion they are no different than any other company. So much for "The Common Man with the Common Yard". Just talk and no action and fitting right into the WIFM (what's in it for me) ,Don't care, Sorry For Ya times we live in.

• davidandkasie
    16 years ago

gbinmd, Johnny is NOT a big company. he builds everything on a per order basis. if he has never done one for your model, then he has to start from scratch and he requires an identical tractor to get the fit right.

if the demand is there, he WILL start making them. just right now there is not enough demand for one to fit your model. you would be ticked off if he had to charge you 5 times what others pay just so you could get one.

Sponsored
Grow Landscapes
Average rating: 4.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Planning Your Outdoor Space in Loundon County?