Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jlw49

bent push rod

jlw49
16 years ago

I have a vanguard 16 hp on my simplicity lawn tractor. I couldn't get it to turn over checked the electrical system all ok. I then tried it with the spark plug out it spun over. It is a ohv. I took the cover off the front and found a bent push rod. What could have been the cause of this. Please can anyone tell me what to do. Thanks

Comments (7)

• mownie
    16 years ago

Is the rocker arm (where the pushrod came from) also broken, cracked or appears bent? If so, what happened is: The rocker arm cracked. the resulting increased clearance between pushrod and rocker allowed the pushrod to "escape" from the little "cup" on the rocker (or the tappet at other end of pushrod).......but the pushrod was unable to get free from the edge of the rocker or tappet and instead was bent when the cam tried to open the valve in this condition. The valve opened too far and was struck by the piston, thus bending the pushrod.

• walt2002
    16 years ago

In addition to the above, there are a whole list of things that can cause this.

One common one with this engine is, IF it is the aluminum push rod, the rub block wears a thin spot on the side of the push rod and it eventually bends or breaks which is why I always recommend reversing the aluminum push rod when adjusting valves.

Another thing, the valve guide works up out of the head and the valve keeper hits it, not letting valve open, bending the push rod. Valve guide should only be 1/8" above head casting. IF this is the problem, I can help you on a fix.

Rocker arm stud comes loose in the head allowing the same thing as mentioned with cracked rocker arm above.

Walt Conner
    wconner5 at verizon dot net

• jlw49
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Thanks mowie and Walt. I checked the pushrod and their is a worn spot on the rod. Walt what should i do next. You said you can help me with this fix Thanks

• mownie
    16 years ago

Thanks walt2002, your experience continues to shine.

• engine_tech
    16 years ago

I'll bet this was the intake valve. If so, the most likely cause is a stuck valve due to fuel deposits. Today's fuel is really bad, and if the least bit old (30+ days) can stick these small valves easily. I think this is the aluminum push rod side. I'd rather have the aluminum pushrod bend should it happen again rather than have the steel one not bend and damage the rocker assembly or studs in the head. I would not swap them, they are like that for a reason. No disrespect to the previous poster.

• walt2002
    16 years ago

"I would not swap them, they are like that for a reason. No disrespect to the previous poster"

I think you misread my post. I did not say to swap the push rods, just to swap ends with the aluminum one to give it a new wear area. There is no reason to not do this as the ends are identical.

"I checked the pushrod and their is a worn spot on the rod. Walt what should i do next. You said you can help me with this fix"

You also misread my post. I said I could help you with the fix IF the valve guide had come partially out.

For fix due to sticking valve, ask engine tech above.

You still have not said which push rod is bent. We are all just assuming it is the aluminum one. IF this is the case, you need to determine why checking the several possibilities mentioned before. If the valve guide appears to be proper height, the rocker arm is not cracked, rocker arm stud is tight in head, valve seems to work freely, etc. then IF it is the aluminum push rod and it is worn nearly thru, then it may have just bent naturally as I said in previous post. You will of course need a new push rod.

I have detailed valve adjusting instruction IF you would like them.

My email address was in previous post but needs to be properly arranged.

Walt Conner

• engine_tech
    16 years ago

I understand now Walt...100% in agreement with you.

Sponsored
Kuhns Contracting, Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars26 Reviews
Central Ohio's Trusted Home Remodeler Specializing in Kitchens & Baths