Return to the Tractors Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
John Deere 445 fuel problems

Posted by jtmiller13 PA (My Page) on
Mon, Jan 16, 12 at 16:51

I have a 1999 JD 445 with a Kalwasaki 22 hp fuel injected engine. As long as we pour gas into the carburetor it will run until the gas burns up. All the sensors have been checked as well as the fuses. We also replaced the fuel pump. When we remove the hose going from the fuel pump into the carburetor and try to start it, gas comes out of the line. I read on this forum where there were problems with a fule line in the fuel tank. If this were the problem would I get gas coming out the other end of the fuel pump? We also checked the pressure on the new fuel pump which was OK.
Does anyone have any answers? Thanks

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: John Deere 445 fuel problems

I'd try another temporary fuel tank first, to eliminate any questions about if it will run or not. If it runs, say for ten minutes with the auxiliary tank, then it will eliminate problems with the carb. Next thing i'd check is the breather hole in the gas cap. In fact, i'd do that first, then the aux. tank.
Next would be to do a thorough cleaning of the tank, for a floater, or sinking floater, that might have found its way into the tank.
See if the fuel pump does pump fuel thru itself-that is-see if it works, by cranking the engine with the plug wire off, and the pump outlet hose off its nipple on the carb. Just be careful, watch for squirting gas, as it will ignite fast! Don't burn yer house or garage down! Safety is king in this situation! I tender these suggestions with the assumption that you know the dangers of escaping gasoline, and its affinity of igniting from the careless cigarette in somebody's hand! Or mouth! (Sheesh!!)
All safety precautions must be followed!
HTH: Rusty J.

o
RE: John Deere 445 fuel problems

Ehhhhh. Check the bypass hose on the fuel pump. If you take the tank cap off and turn on the key and you hear fuel splashing, you have a bypass hose failure. It's a hose about 1.5 inches long on the pump assembly that gets a crack in it. THE FUEL MUST BE PRESSURIZED FOR THE TRACTOR TO RUN. If you lose pressure at this point the engine will not run. Replace with 1.5 inches of 5/16 fuel line from TSC and replace the pump under the seat. Happy mowing

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Tractors Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here