Return to the Tractors Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Adjusting Engine Valves

Posted by Dudley3905 none (My Page) on
Sun, Jan 13, 13 at 17:16

My Briggs and Straton 18 HP OHV Intek Plus will not start due to, I believe, valves adjustment. Would not turn except very little until taking spark plug out then it spun like a top. The model number of engine is 31H777-0202-E1 and may not be available anymore. Does anyone know how hard adjusting valves would be and if I do attempt to do this, would there be any parts available as I'm sure I would need to replace some? Thank you for any suggestions you may have.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Adjusting Engine Valves

Assuming it's a simple adjustment only, about the only part you might have to replace is the valve cover gasket. That's pretty minor.

Look for Walt Conner amongst all the hard starting threads.
Email him, stating that you need his valve adjustment instructions & your model# and he'll email them back to you.
WELL worth it!

o

When pulling the valve cover, you will also want to know if the studs for the rocker arms came loose from the head- thus increasing the clearance. A visual inspection and a quick check with a 10mm wrench will tell. Sometimes they loosen to the degree the cap comes off from between the valve and rocker. If the push rod is laying loose- let us know if it is bent and what else you find. In 2007 builds they discontinued the rocker gasket and used sealant. RTV or Right Stuff will replace the gasket in either case if you desire. Any problems reaching Walt -just let us know.

o

This video on You Tube will explain how to do it. But I agree with the other guys...get the specs. from Walt.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tSyHlh9Ea4A

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Tractors Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here