Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
threeacresplus

Please Advise me on a Lawn Tractor

threeacresplus
16 years ago

We are fortunate enough to have just signed a contract for a new home with a 3.2 acre yard. While there are some woods in the rear and a pool, pool deck and deck, most of the yard is grass. Luckily, it is mostly flat. We close on the house mid-February. Anticipating that I'll be buying a lawn tractor in the spring, I'd really appreciate your advice.

In addition to wanting a mower that provides a reliable, clean cut (hopefully with a fairly wide cut), we'll have a long driveway that I'd like to clear of snow in the winter.

I'm not great mechanically and I tend to be average on maintenance. As for a budget, I'd like to spend as little as possible (obvious?) but could spend between $2,500-3,000 (more if necessary). Many thanks in advance for your tips.

Mark

Comments (56)

• docholiday
    16 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

I guess you could probably rule them out because you are "not great mechanically", but if you could find a good, clean, low hour unit, the John Deere 425 was an awesome tractor. Maybe 400hrs in good condition would be a nice choice. It would need a new cam at maybe 900hrs, but it would take you a lot of years to get there. The only downside is attachments for these tractors are quite expensive, but they are tough and high-quality unlike most stuff available today (even the X500 series attachments are toys compared to the 425 attachments).

• soccer_dad
    16 years ago

Id like to offer that this subject needs more information and more discussion. A lawn (or garden) tractor may not be what you need to start with. First, IÂd like to know some more about how you intend to maintain the acreage and where you are starting from. For instance, do you already have a push mower, weed whackers and blowers, hand tools, wheelbarrows, chain saws, etc. What do you want the property to look like in 5 years, 10 years? How much time are you devoting to property care? What do you intend to do with the inevitable leaves and limbs that will decorate your property? What storage do you have or intend to develop for the equipment? Do you plan to build a landscape or flower gardens reducing the amount of lawn to cut? Do you want a nice luscious turf with ball field striping or just get r done grass cutting in as little time as possible? Is it currently thick and weed free? How do you intend to fertilize and overseed the lawn? Do you want to build a vegetable garden (meaning you need a plow and/or tiller)? Is your drive in gravel or hard stand? Are all the chores yourÂs or will spouse and children help out? IÂm not asking these questions to be personal, but rather just for you to think about as you search for the right equipment. IÂm sure there are 100 other questions to be answered, but before you plunk down money for equipment, IÂd like to think you are getting the right tool for the way you want to handle the job. If, at the end of the day, all you want to do is cut the grass in the least amount of time then a ZTR may be a better choice. If you are in the house for only a short time before moving on, or you just want to learn more on the job, then a low price lawn tractor might be the right choice. If you intend to make it a show property over the next 30 years then you can rationalize the cost of commercial quality equipment. Good choices are everywhere, but those will need your call on what you want to do and how fast you want to do it and what result you want from your work. Caring for your property is not a one tool job unless your only tool is a checkbook. It is less about what is a good tractor and more about what equipment fits your needs, wants and desires.

• steve2ski
    16 years ago

For your budget and time you evidently want to spend working on the equipment - get a Craftsman top of the line GT 48" cut, you will be able to get one on sale for your budget between now and spring. You will have 2 yrs of warranty and the ability to buy snow removal(blade or blower)at a later date if you decide to go that way. I personally would go with a walk behind blower, but thats me.
    If you jump up a $1,000 dollars on the budget you have some other options.

• yetty734
    16 years ago

sorry i didnt see your budget....if all u wanted to do was plow light snow or mow on flat surfaces go with the x320 or x340 by deere. the the craftsman monster series isnt to bad but i still wouldnt buy one.

• johntommybob
    16 years ago

Sounds like you will have a BIG area to mow: maybe over two acres. I would look real hard at slammers rule no. 2

"2. NEVER buy a mower from ANYPLACE that will not let you test drive it or at least a similar model. Ergonomics are just as important as performance and capability.
    (Vitally important!)"

What I would wish for, were I you, would be a large Zero turn mower with a 60" deck.

• threeacresplus
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Your responses are very helpful. I've RESPONDED to Soccer Dad's questions belows:

First, Id like to know some more about how you intend to maintain the acreage and where you are starting from. For instance, do you already have a push mower - YES BUT I'M NOT SURE IT'S IN GOOD REPAIR AS WE'VE USED A LAWN SERVICE FOR SEVERAL YEARS, weed whackers and blowers, hand tools, wheelbarrows, chain saws, etc. YES, YES AND YES. What do you want the property to look like in 5 years, 10 years? I WANT TO IMPROVE UPON THE LOT - MOSTLY FENCING, SOME LANDSCAPING AND IMPROVEMENT OF THE GRASS (SEE BELOW) How much time are you devoting to property care? I AM WILLING AND ABLE TO SPEND AS MUCH TIME AS NECESSARY. What do you intend to do with the inevitable leaves and limbs that will decorate your property? I WANT TO MULCH/MOW AS MUCH AS POSSIBLE OF THE GRASS CLIPPINGS AND WHAT FEW LEAVES I'LL HAVE IN THE EARLY FALL. THERE ARE NO MATURE TREES ON THE LOT AND IT BORDERS LARGE FARM FIELDS OR GRASS. THERE ARE SOME WOODS ON THE REAR 1/3 ACRE OF THE LOT. I HAVE A MODEST LEAF MULCHING MACHINE. What storage do you have or intend to develop for the equipment? I PLAN TO USE ONE GARAGE BIN OF THE THREE CAR GARAGE - VERY LARGE/WIDE. Do you plan to build a landscape or flower gardens reducing the amount of lawn to cut? BEYOND WHAT ALREADY EXIST, PROBABLY NOT. Do you want a nice luscious turf with ball field striping or just get r done grass cutting in as little time as possible? RIGHT NOW IT IS GET R DONE QUALITY BUT MOSTLY WEED FREE. I'D LIKE TO MAKE IT THICKER AND LUSHER BUT SHORT OF BALL FIELD QUALITY. Is it currently thick and weed free? How do you intend to fertilize and overseed the lawn? RAISES ANOTHER QUESTION I HAVE. I'VE ALWAYS USED A WEED AND FEED PRODUCT WITH MUCH SUCCESS; ALBEIT ON A SMALLER LOT. THE PROPERTY HAS A WELL, WHERE OUR WATER IS SUPPLIED. SHOULD I BE CONCERNED ABOUT CHEMICAL PRODUCTS ON THE LAWN AND, HOW DO I APPLY ON SUCH A LARGE AREA? (SAME ROTARY PUSH SPREADER, JUST MORE TIME?) Do you want to build a vegetable garden (meaning you need a plow and/or tiller)? YES, WE'LL HAVE A SMALLISH GARDEN - 20 X 10 AND I HAVE A ROTOTILLER. Is your drive in gravel or hard stand? HARD STAND. Are all the chores yours or will spouse and children help out? WHILE I'D LIKE TO SAY THE LATTER, IT'LL MOSTLY BE ME. Im not asking these questions to be personal, but rather just for you to think about as you search for the right equipment. Im sure there are 100 other questions to be answered, but before you plunk down money for equipment, Id like to think you are getting the right tool for the way you want to handle the job. NOT A PROBLEM, IF IT HELPS WITH THAT GOALS, I'M ALL ABOUT PROVIDING THE INFO. If, at the end of the day, all you want to do is cut the grass in the least amount of time then a ZTR may be a better choice. If you are in the house for only a short time before moving on, or you just want to learn more on the job, then a low price lawn tractor might be the right choice. If you intend to make it a show property over the next 30 years then you can rationalize the cost of commercial quality equipment. WE WILL BE THERE FOR SIX YEARS AT LEAST, POSSIBLY LONGER.

• soccer_dad
    16 years ago

Threeacreplus, I must apologize for my manners, congratulations on your new home. I'm sure you will enjoy it. Now back to the question at hand. This is what I've learned in the last year on mulching mowers because I never had one before. You need the deepest deck you can find because you want the grass to stay in the deck swirling around in order to be cut up into little pieces. A shallow deck will not do that effectively and why commercial mowers do it so well (along with blade tip speed). For that much acreage I don't think I would fool with a mulching kit, but just use gator mulching blades. Mulching tends to mat grass down more (versus a bagger that has a vacumming effect) so cut height is something you'll have to balance between the look you want and what is healthy for the grass. Anywhere from 2 1/2 to 3 1/2 inches is recommended for cool season grass. Mulching requires more frequent mowing. Every 3-5 days in spring and fall when grass is really growing would be normal. You really have to follow the 1/3 rule when mulching. It also means you need to clean the underside of the deck often so deck removal is important. Unless you want a lot of seat time at least a 48" deck and I personally would want a 60" deck. A good ZTR would give you the best combination of cut and speed, but is at least 2-3 times your stated budget. The Craftsman DGS 6500 is on sale now and offers a lot for the money. The Deere 145 is another good cutting lawn tractor that meets your budget. A Simplicity Regent would also be on my short list to review. These are 3 lawn tractors that I'd start looking at. Keep the oil changed, spindles greased, mower clean and dry, and sharp blades and you should be able to get a lot of years of service out of any of these three. You can get more for your money used, but a good deal is a lot harder to find than buying new. All 3 offer a snow blade or blower or there are aftermarket snowblower (Berco) that might be applicable, but I would tend to agree to go with a separate snow machine until you determine you need a bigger tractor. I'd recommend two attachments for your lawn care. A core aerator and a good pull behind spreader. You may find a pull behind lawn cart very useful too. As far as fertilizers and weed killers I'd recommend you read through the organic lawn care and the regular lawn care forums here at GW. There is some very good advice in both. Personally, I don't consider myself organic, but I am trying not to put as many chemicals on the yard as I use to and focusing more on developing the soil. Cost is certainly a factor too. I'd say applying corn gluten meal over 3 acres would be prohibitively expensive, YMMV. Your county extension office would also be a good source for advice on your ground water and well. Visit some of the dealers in your area - not only a Deere or Simplicity dealer, but some of the outdoor power equipment dealers that service the commercial guys. Toro and Exmark have very good names in the commercial sector. Winter is a great time for some good buys.

• threeacresplus
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Thanks SD. I wish I'd have proofed my post better before I submitted. The information you've shared is perfect. I will begin looking at the three tractors you've listed. Glad to hear there are pull-behind spreaders. Since we don't close until mid-February, I'll hold off making a purchase before then (just because I'll need delivery anyway and I don't wish to move the tractor twice). I'll let you know once I make a decision and purchase. Again, thanks.

• eal51
    16 years ago

threeacresplus -

First, sounds like you have a great parcel of land to maintain. Congrats! I hope I can be a little assistance with this one since I am in a similar situation to yours.

I have 8+ acres to maintain. I have hills, wet lands, heavily wood acreage lawn and flower beds to maintain. In addition I have a 1200 foot driveway!

I would be looking for a unit that can cut, mulch and spread and blow snow to begin with. I would update SD's suggestion of a Simplicity Regent to a Broadmoor. Broadmoor is a step up from the Regent and is one tough unit.

If possible, look for a used Simplicity Conquest. I own one and it is one mean beast for the yard work I demand.

Enjoy the journey.

eal51 in western CT

• soccer_dad
    16 years ago

Yessir, the Broadmoor is better than the Regent - it just takes you into the next $1000 dollar range of budget. Bigger and better is just going to cost more. The temptation is always to the next size up. Personally, I'd recommend staying low on the budget and then after all the other expenses of moving in are clear, and you want to do more with the land, look for something with hydraulics and a 3 pt hitch. There is nothing wrong with more than 1 tractor on that acreage. 3acresplus, the reason I asked about chore duties was that a traditional tractor may be easier for others to operate than a ZTR because it is more traditional in layout. Either should be operated safely.

• bushleague
    16 years ago

More than just mowing, you have some property to reclaim/maintain. There's a guy in PA that sells real John Deere's on eBay Motors. This particular 445 was low time, and went for two grand. Something to consider.{{gwi:314101}}

• khwils
    16 years ago

3acre, I just purchased 5 acres a year ago, I'm new at this also. really long drive, 1/2 acre wooded, outbuildings, pool, etc.... I found a used(old) ransomes/jacobson 72" front deck, 3 cyl diesel. It really chews up some grass but it cost $2500 and needs maintenance. I also purchased a JD 317 with a 46" deck for backup and purchased a snowblower for it, its an older machine as well and needs maintenance also. BTW, the snowblower on the tractor works fantastic, now I need to find a cab for it! I also purchased a C-man ?gs 6500 with a 54" deck for the wife - yes she helps! I like the JD and Ransomes but they are work because they are older, I couldn't afford to bring them to someone everytime they break. I bought the c-man new because Sears offers a great warranty plan, for about $400 more I am covered for 3 years. They also said they will keep renewing the plan at the end of the 3 years for $$$,s of course. I don't know how many times they will renew but I'm going to find out. I told the salesman that we had 5 acres and I'm going to break something or wear it out for sure. Bottom line is you are going to spend a lot of time and $$ on your "yard". The PO mowed with a single JD with a 54" deck, he told me it took him about 5 hours to mow - he stretched the truth a little. With the 72" it takes me 3 hours but I'm flying! With 3 acres total and subtracting for buildings, woods etc I would think you can get by with a 54" deck machine. You won't regret a snowblower but since you're closing in February you can probably defer that cost to next year. I have a neighbor and also a farmer close both with snow plows, they usually run through my drive when they come by. So maybe someone close can help you for the rest of this year. Remember, a Gt is going to mow at 4-5 mph, a ZTR or front deck mows at 7-8 mph. If I were you I'd look for a used front deck 54" machine, you can get blowers for them but they're going to cost a little more. You cannot pull with them so I'd buy a used(cheap) smaller GT 48" deck for pulling and backup machine. OR just get the C-man 6500 or 5500 series with 54" deck, they are all on sale at Sears right now for huge discounts. Don't forget the warranty! Kurt

• cherokee_140
    16 years ago

khwils has some good advise. I would suggest that you might also look at a real tractor. Older compact tractors like a JD650 are very handy, can mow well...and you have a real tractor. They are not much more then middle of the road JD lawn mowers. I have 2 mowers JD300 and a new craftsman 6500 and the 650 is what gets used most often. Think of not only what you need to do, but what you think you are going to do and might want to do.

• ervie
    16 years ago

If you can afford a house with a 3 car garage, swimming pool and 3.2 acres, you can afford a decent lawnmower. Do not try to
    economize on this by looking for a big engined tractor with a low price tag. Those are OK for 1/2 acre lots, but you'd need to replace them too often, mowing 3 acres.

You need good quality equipment so figure on spending over $4000 for a mower, and another $1000 on a walk-behind snow
    blower. Deere, Simplicity and Kubota are the brands you can
    rely on.

• tomhoffman
    16 years ago

Here is my favorite brand. Even if the motor is shelled out this is a bargain. The blower alone and the front attchment deck would be over double his asking price.

Since gas models of this mower seem to routinely go over 3000 hours, this diesel is just getting broke in. I am not knocking any other brand, just presenting an alternative brand that I like and own.

• threeacresplus
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Khwils - Thanks. I need some time to digest what you've suggested. You've made me pause a bit. I don't want to spend three hours or more cutting grass every week. Even though I enjoy the yardwork and puttering about, the actual mowing gets old after a while.

Ervie, I've been thinking the same thing......being an old cheapskate at heart, I've been thinking I could get away with only spending $2-3K. I wonder now.

With all of the advice so far, I guess this is where my head is right now:

Buy new
    Buy from someone who will let me try out my initial choice and allow an exchange if necessary.
    Buy a tractor with at least a 48" deck, preferably more.
    Save the snowblower for next year.

The Craftsman 6500 is on sale right now for under $2,500. It seems to be a good choice.
    Need to look at the Deere's.

TomHoffman - I looked at the listing. Not sure why but something tells me you have to be a bit handier than I am to manage that beast. Agree?

• gorper99
    16 years ago

Scag Freedom Z-Under $5000.00.

• tomhoffman
    16 years ago

No, in reality, it is the simplest of mowers to drive, it takes two fingers on your left hand. Takes 5 minutes to learn. My wife took 3 minutes, and she loves it. It is a heavy duty commercial mower, but good ones can be had used.

Call up a dealer in your state that is close and have him bring one over for a demo, he will. I drove 20 ZTRs on my place before I bought.

Here is the link to their web site

• cherokee_140
    16 years ago

IMO the sears 6500 is a good lawnmower. I got one last season and have still have under 100hrs on it, but it is good so far. I like the 650 I was going over reciepts last weekend and found out I paid ~$5000 for it. It is 1000 times more machine then any lawnmower/garden tractor.
    Just take a look at one before you buy, I bet it will give you something else to think about, if not now down the road.

• khwils
    16 years ago

3acres, I didn't want to spend my whole summer mowing either, that's why I bought a 72" deck machine. Also, I would get a diesel, they last a long time and in my opinion they are more reliable. There isn't a carb to clean and adjust and they start reliably even in the cold. Mine will also run FOREVER on a 4 gal. tank of gas. It probably will run 3 times longer on the same amount of fuel as the other two gas mowers I have. If you're close enough I think TomH is right about the mower/blower on ebay although the deck is a little undersized for your yard it will still chew up some real estate! As far as fixing them - they all break especially when you are mowing a lot. That's why I have 3 mowers but I think you would be fine with two. I'd vote fo the mower TomH found and a new 54" deck Cman for the wife(it'll cut your mowing time in half!). Kurt

• threeacresplus
    Original Author
    16 years ago

I went to the site that Tom provided. My nearest dealer appears to be in bum-F New York State.... I'm in far southeastern PA. So, I'm not sure how that would work. The Craftsman 6500 is on sale at Sears until January 19th and I can't buy this early (nor do I want to buy something I'll regret).

Kurt - where did you find your used equipment? Maybe I should start visiting some of the local lawn equipment guys and see what they have/say.

• ervie
    16 years ago

3acres,
    Checkout www.machinefinder.com to find used tractors.
    I live in Chadds Ford, and if you're looking for some good
    dealers, Simplicity-Kellam Lawn Service on rt.202 2 miles south of rt 1 and Deere-
    Foulk Lawn Equipment,Foulk Rd. in north Wilmington. They've both been in
    business for over 20 years.

• khwils
    16 years ago

3acres,

The mower Tom was talking about on Ebay is only $1275 right now, that's obscenly cheap for a HD front deck 48" mower with a snow blower. If you have the time it might be worth the ride to pick it up but I don't know how far away it is for you. I don't know what these Walkers normally sell for but 1700 hours is only halfway for a diesel.

I picked up my 72" mower on Ebay in the fall 2006, I had to drive 2.5 hours to pick it up but I saved a lot of money. I picked up my JD 317 on Ebay also but I only drove 45 mins for it. I picked up the snowblower for the JD on Ebay, 25 min drive. I found a better deal at my local JD dealer than the 317 but it was after I bought my tractor. I've also seen some good deals on CL that I almost bought and they are more local. I bought the C-man 6500 this fall when it was on sale for $2600. After they delivered it I went to try it out, I lifted the seat and there was a sticker saying this was a used machine. I looked at the hour meter and sure enough it said 1.6 hrs. The wife was not happy, this was her mower! She called Sears and quickly got another 20% taken off of the mower( think we could of got more). Check Sears, have them scan the tractor, sometimes they are cheaper than they are advertised especially this time of year. Don't be afraid to deal on the returned machines, especially if you are going to buy the warranty.

About picking up machines, I had the 6500 delivered for a nominal charge as it would not fit in my pickup. I was able to get the JD in my pickup by taking the deck off. I had ramps but the PO had a fork truck that we used. I needed a good sized trailer for the front deck mower, it is 6 feet wide, 9 feet long and weighs 1800 lbs. Just something to remember, you gotta get em home! Oh and store them, I have a 20x20 cold storage shed for my outdoor equipment.

Ervie has given some good advice too, he's right you're going to have to spend a few dollars to get setup right but you can get some deals. I also like the Kubota's as he mentioned although I've never owned one I think they look like a good deal and often overlooked.

I can't stress enough how much I love my diesel - easy starting in all weather - liquid cooled - tons of power - mows fast - incredible gas mileage. My next backup mower to replace my JD 317 will be a diesel probably with a 60" deck but that's still a couple years down the road. I need to spend my money elsewhere - the wife put up a 20x48 greenhouse and she's planning her orchard. Egads a little bit of property can be dangerous - but... I'll have less to mow - haha!

Kurt

• threeacresplus
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Kurt - Where do you live?

Last night I met with our interior designers at the new house. The seller/owner/builder was there and we talked about a variety of things including yard/lawn maintenance. He claims that he has used a guy on this lot who mows and trims for $55/week. If true, and he'll do the same for me, I'm thinking year one (at least) could lend itself to outsourcing. I know it's a whole new idea but what do ya'll think?

• khwils
    16 years ago

3acre+,

I'm located in Kankakee, IL - 60 miles south of Chicago. For $55/week I'd just do that. Around here it costs about $25 for a city lot! I'm guessing that's about $1500-$1700 a year, not bad for 3 acres. Since you're not mechanically inclined you might just want to stay with that. Besides, i agree with ervie, if you can afford the house, 3-car garage, pool, 3.2 acres and now an INTERIOR DESIGNER - WOW! Just spent the $55 a week and call it a day!

Cherokee, I never looked at the JD 650's, after your post I looked around a little and I was surprised at the prices, they aren't going for much than the JD 400 series! Dang, now I'm looking for a new backup machine!

Kurt

• lkbum_gw
    16 years ago

3acres,
    You are missing a significant point about taking care of your lawn. I spend about 2 ot 2 hours a week (in the summer) driving my lawn tractor, sipping a cool beer and with ear protection on, I don't hear screaming kids, nagging wife or neighbors.

Sometimes, I cut my neigbors yard just for the extended time period driving my tractor. Sounds simple, but I have a degree in Thermodynamics, do custom medical device development for a couple of high powered physicians/companies and driving around like this is pure joy. I get a tremendous sense of accomplishment and it is cheap therapy.

I posted a test on my Simplicity Broadmoor and will post a link. Unfortunately, this forum is having problems retrieving past posts at the moment. You may find it of interest.

If you go to the main message page of this forum, go to the bottom and you can do a search, restricted to this forum. Search for Simplicty review or any other tractor you are considering, you will find a lot of information that may help you.

• threeacresplus
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Kurt - what can I say, even a blind pig finds an acorn once in a while (got lucky; sold the company).

LKbum - I hear ya. It's exactly what I've been debating. I haven't had my own yard/lawn since I moved to PA from Virginia. While it was a much smaller yard, I had two riding mowers and a walk behind....enjoyed the work and had the nicest yard in the neighborhood. I'm beginning to think I oughta do both. That is, hire the guy to start the season but get myself a nice multi-purpose tractor. Then, I can cut, fertilize, haul crap around, etc. and if I find that I enjoy mowing, drop the lawn guy.

I'll look for the link once posted....thanks.

• lkbum_gw
    16 years ago

3acres,

here's the link( at the bottom of the post, hope it works the search engine on this forum is acting up).

• tomhoffman
    16 years ago

3 Acres, There is a dealer for the Walker Mower right in Allentown Pa. All you have to do is enter your zip code and you nearest dealer pops up.

I just found it hard to believe that there wasn't one in se pa.

Just got curious. He is a Gravley dealer too.

• threeacresplus
    Original Author
    16 years ago

LK - Great review and love the pics (especially the barefoot).

Tom - Headed to google now (and the Walker site) to have a look for that Allentown location. Thanks.

• threeacresplus
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Tom: Not sure what I could be doing wrong. Even if I enter an Allentown zip (18101), I get the following location:

Precision Work, Inc.
    75 Harbor Road
    Port Washington, NY 11050

• marineguy
    16 years ago

3acres,
    I'm an advocate of purchasing a used heavy-duty GT for the same cost of a new mid-grade riding mower ($2000-$3000). There isn't much of a selection on the Internet right now in your neck of the woods, but if you hire the lawn care service in the meantime, then take your time browsing craigslist and eBay through the spring, you should be able to find a nice candidate.

Here are some recommendations for you among the recently discontinued line of John Deere garden tractors (2-5 years old):
    Good: GT225/235/245 series, $1500-2500, features a heavy-duty transaxle, twin-touch hydrostatic pedals, big tires, can run a tiller, snowblowers fairly easy to find online in good shape for $500 or less.
    Better: GX series, $2500-3500, add a locking differential, power steering, hydraulic deck lift
    Best: X series (now known as X700 series), $6000-10000, optional four-wheel-steer, or four-wheel-drive, front-end-loader, 3-pt hitch and rear PTO available.

In the lineup before that (90s), you had:
    Good: 245/265, $1000-1500, hydrostatic but with controls mounted on fender, next to manual lift lever. Attachments are same as GT200 series.
    Better: 285, $1500-2000, bigger engine + hydraulic lift.
    Best: 425/435/445, $2000-4000, four-wheel steer option, 3 pt hitch available, front end loader available, much heavier tractor + attachments. Two-spool hydraulics allow use of power lift/ power angle snow blade.

And in the lineup before that (80s), which you're probably less inclined to purchase (due to their age and your aversion to turning wrenches):
    Good: 210/212/214/216 series, $700-1500, benefit is a rear-lift rod which did not make it into later series, allows simple use of a sleeve hitch, lifting plows, cultivators, blade, with the tractor's deck lift system. Manual lift but electric was available.
    Better: 300 series $1000-2500, 318 very common, had dual hydraulics, 3 pt hitch available, hydrostatic transmission, shaft driven. Great tractor. Parts hard to find for the Onan 18hp motor, however.
    Best: 400 series, $2000-3000, larger frame, HI/LO range transaxle, loader, 3 pt available. Chances of finding one that wasn't used to its dying breath: about 10%.

Here's a 318 for sale in your area which appears to have been meticulously restored both cosmetically and mechanically. But you said you aren't into tinkering. This might be a good starter tractor for you to use while the lawn service bears the burden of turning long grass into short grass.

You can count on the fact that each of these models will be for sale at some point on eBay this spring, when people start thinking about cutting grass again. If you really want to buy new, I'd recommend the X500 series, which is better than the GT series but not as good as the GX series.

Like lkbum, I could pay someone to take care of my lawn, but that's my time to unwind, and incite childhood dreams of being a heavy equipment operator (especially when the blade or tiller are installed). He must have a much smoother lawn than me because whenever I put a beer in the cupholder it goes flat almost instantly. I've had much better luck with Beam and Coke, which is still good when the bubbles are gone. I, too, have been known to finish my lawn and keep on mowing through the neighbor's lawn, just because I'm in the mood. I don't know what gives me more satisfaction, enjoying/admiring my lawn or maintaining it.

Congrats on purchasing the new castle.

-Chris

• threeacresplus
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Chris - That 318 IS beautiful. You guys have convinced me - I do miss the mowing (and the beers/Jack and Cokes - sorry like Jack better than Jim). I like your idea and just hope I have the patience to wait a bit...let the yard guy work at it while I select the "beast". Thanks.

• tomhoffman
    16 years ago

3 Acres, It's Luchmor's Gravely Tractor Agency on 1641-51 N. 18th St. Allentown Pa. 18101
    Phone is: 610-432-9063.

Here is their email:
    lauchnorgta@enter.net

• dave01
    16 years ago

Just to give equal time, I think you'd be happy with a good used Cub Cadet as well. You can find a mid '90's 1864 or similar for $1,500 range, strong hydro, 18 HP, 48" or 54" deck. Or go a bit older for an 1811 or similar. If you are interested I'll give a bit more detail, or look for you a bit, let me know. A used Cub will generally cost a bit less than a JD.

• losrubios
    16 years ago

Hi
    I've been reading this thread over the past couple of weeks. We have a 1 acre wooded lot and in December we bought one of the AgriFab/Sears lawn vacuum/chippers. Boy did this save me a lot of work with the rake and I can highly recommend it. Since the lawn vacuum trailer can weigh quite a bit when its full of shredded up leaves, and our rather old 14Hp 37" Sears ride on mower was struggling at times with our sloping lot (my wife bought it used over 10 years ago for about $500), we decided to look around for a more powerful tractor. Following the advice in this thread, I just picked up a 2007 Craftsman DGS6500 with a 54" deck and 69 hours on the meter from a Sears 'store return' seller on EBay (check out the deals on the tool chests and appliances they sell!). It looks quite nice in the photos and I'll be picking it up on Friday this week and let you know how I get on with it! It seems that good deals can still be had on EBay since the lawn tractors are obviously a pick up item in preference to paying to ship a 600lb lawn tractor across the country, which makes the bidding easier! Even if its missing a few link lifts or sway bars, it was a good deal I think.

• threeacresplus
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Glad to see that someone else, with experience, is ahead of me by a month or two. I'll be really anxious to hear what you think about the "new" Craftsman. Where are you located (in other words, when will you be mowing?). Thanks.

Mark

• losrubios
    16 years ago

Hi Mark
    We're in Southern California, up in canyons at about 2,300' so grass cutting can be a year round task here. We've already had more rain than Seattle this year (2" last weekend alone!) so the grass is starting to sprout up everywhere. It normally slows down between July - October since its so hot. Assuming all the parts are there to hook up the deck to the chassis, I might give it a spin this weekend (although its supposed to rain) or if it needs a few parts from partsdirect.com, in about a month when I get back from a business trip between Feb 9th and 23rd.

• tom_k_de
    16 years ago

WOW, I only read first 20 of 44 posts.OP states He has about a $3K budget,and already being pushed into a $5K level.Hmmmm. tbk

• threeacresplus
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Los Rubios - I saw the tractor listing....it looks great and you seemingly got it at a great price. Hope it runs and mows great. Let me/us know.

tom k de - Not sure what your post means. Yes, I'd like to spend about $3K. I can spend more if it makes sense. What am I missing???????????

• purcell23
    16 years ago

three acres plus: I wanted to thank you (and all the participants) for this thread. The timing was perfect considering I upgraded from 1/4 acre to 2 acres a couple of months ago.

Like you I started with a similar budget. I read all the various forums and magazines trying to help sort things out (including this thread). I really struggled between buying new vs. old., between buying a large lawn tractor and a small garden tractor. Although I don't have a need for a garden tractor, the little man inside really wanted max-power.

On Saturday I bought a used X324 w/ bagger via the philly craigslist. 4hrs on the clock (not a typo) at a steal of a price. Basically the owner wanted a zero-turn.

Good Luck in your search.
    John

• threeacresplus
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Purcell - Never even thought to look on Craigslist. You probably got the only/best deal....ya rat :-) I'm headed there now.....

• purcell23
    16 years ago

check the mtf .com for sale forum. A guy in central PA has a GT235 for sale. I'm sure craigslist will have tons of listings once the weather warms a little.

• jfobel
    16 years ago

Great Forum! I am a new poster so bear with me. This will also by my 1st lawn/garden tractor.

I have 8-1/2 acres but intend on maintaining nice grass on between about 2-4 acres total (varying areas around the house/property). Much of this land is sloping heavily with several washout areas. Not only do washouts exist but lots of leaves and limbs but am more worried about the deck plowing into the dirt in these washout areas.

I have been researching used farm tractors with implements such as box blade and bush hog for some time now. I realized that I couldnt get anything decent in my price range (or too large of payment). I then decided I would evaluate garden tractors.

I am looking at either one of these garden tractors with mulcher.

#1 - Craftsman 26 hp 54 in. Deck, DGS 6500 Garden Tractor (w/ Kohler)
    DGS 6000 Garden Tractor (w/Kohler)

= or =

#2 - LA175 Lawn Tractor
    LA175 Lawn Tractor

Here are some photos of my property.

+ Hope to put gravel down on drive and grow grass/mow around trees
    {{gwi:314102}}

+ Hope to get grass growing in shady areas too
    {{gwi:314103}}

+ Some sloping and poor water run-off areas. Not sure how a garden tractor will handle water ruts
    {{gwi:314104}}

I would appreciate any feedback at all.

Thanks,

Jack
    jfobel@msn.com

• soccer_dad
    16 years ago

Jack,
    You can make do with either of those, but I doubt you will be happy with the performance or longevity. The sleeve hitch attachments for the Craftsman would make it more attractive for the work planned. I'd say you could search for a used Yanmar with diesel & 3 pt hitch and be money ahead over the long term. I'd recommend you add some of the other tractor forums to your reading list in helping decide what is right for you. Good luck.

• jfobel
    16 years ago

Thanks soccerdad, Here is one I found similiar to what you mention. they want $2,750 for it. Seems pricey to me. I may go back to looking at farm tractors.

Here is what he says about it.

Kubota Tractor B6200:

-3 cyl diesel engine
    -3 speed manual transmission with hi/low ranges
    -4x4 (works, no problems)
    -ONLY 633 hours (very low)
    -Starts up great, runs great
    -New headlights (needs a wiring harness)
    -Tires have some wear but are still in good condition
    -No belly mower or attachments - but they can be purchased separately for fairly cheap depending on what you need
    -Rough spot on the right side hood (see photo) but only cosmetic flaw

Overall - a very good tractor - runs great, very strong. Email if questions.

{{gwi:314105}}

{{gwi:314106}}

{{gwi:314107}}

{{gwi:314108}}

$2750.00 CASH

• soccer_dad
    16 years ago

Yep, you'll get more with that Kubota than any lawn tractor. The one thing I've learned is figure out what implements you want to do the work and then size your tractor accordingly.

• threeacresplus
    Original Author
    16 years ago

I took delivery of my new lawn tractor today so I thought I'd better stop back in and let you know what I bought. I'll stop back once it warms up and I get to mow a few times to give you my first impressions.

So, I worked with my local dealer who has a great reputation. I told him about the advice I'd received on here and that I'd been leaning toward a Deere. He put me into a Simplicity Regent 24/50. I added a towable spreader and ended up very close to my $3,000 goal. Today I was only able to start 'er up and tool around the yard (as did my son). Just to confirm my decision (do any of you do this AFTER you buy something) I went back and read the posts related to the Simplicity. According to some of them and my dealer, JD quality has suffered (particularly on the lower-end models). He says I'll have no issues with the Simplicity, it's built like a tank and it provides a great mow/lawn. We shall see. Meanwhile, my heartfelt thanks to everyone who provided guidance and support....you guys are great.

Mark

• kidranger56
    16 years ago

Simplicity has been around for many years- a very good brand of tractor. I own a 1969 simplicity broadmoor - got it for free - had sat for 20 years in a barn- altho i replaced the original motor( but still have it) it runs/mows great for a 38 year old tractor.

• lkbum_gw
    16 years ago

Mark, Congrats on your descision, I hope it works well for you. The best part about Simplicity mowers is the cut quality, you'll be surprised. Check out the following link on how to post pictures. I expect to see some soon on the new yard.

Sponsored